What is the best headphone to listen to Pink Floyd?
Oct 17, 2011 at 12:12 AM Post #61 of 78

Quote:
When you live in Oregon and everyone has the sense of humor than can be summed up in.
"Hey should be get this baked?""HA HA HA HA HA HA HA, BAKED LOLOLOL 420 WEED LOLOL YOU SAID BAKED WHYAMINOTHIGHRIGHTNOW?"
it gets really annoying.  Not to mention that it was just a stupid joke on a forum that tries*loosely* to keep a "sophisticated" and by that I mean not fifteen year old's loling and LMAFOing up a storm on this site.

Methinks you should get baked and lighten up.   Good thing the Audeze's are LCD's and not LSD's or the poster may have really pushed you over the edge. 
wink.gif

Oct 17, 2011 at 12:37 AM Post #62 of 78
I'm listening to "Hey You" right now with my D2000s and it sounds f'in fantastic.

My new dac/amp might have something to do with that.  Word to the wise, make sure you have a good dac/amp to pair with whatever headphone you end up buying.

makes all the difference.

Oct 17, 2011 at 12:44 AM Post #63 of 78
I'm listening to "Hey You" right now with my D2000s and it sounds f'in fantastic.

My new dac/amp might have something to do with that.  Word to the wise, make sure you have a good dac/amp to pair with whatever headphone you end up buying.

makes all the difference.

Agreed. On the run, I found that the CLAS was able to bring out details previously muffled on my iPod:Amp combo. The overall sound staging was quite a bit more precise too.

But again, all this stuff blows the budget set for us.

I'd say, spend the entire USD250 on the most suitable and easy to drive headphones. Then go for an amp next when there is a higher budget.

Eventually, he will get to a DAC, if he keeps on reading HF that is.

Oct 17, 2011 at 1:22 AM Post #64 of 78

Quote:
Agreed. On the run, I found that the CLAS was able to bring out details previously muffled on my iPod:Amp combo. The overall sound staging was quite a bit more precise too.
But again, all this stuff blows the budget set for us.
I'd say, spend the entire USD250 on the most suitable and easy to drive headphones. Then go for an amp next when there is a higher budget.
Eventually, he will get to a DAC, if he keeps on reading HF that is.

yep.  All part of the journey.  I guarantee no matter what heaphone he goes with, if his amp/dac is worse, he can take a listen to my setup and change his mind.  

Oct 17, 2011 at 4:59 AM Post #66 of 78

Quote:
You want something warm with a good sound stage because PF plays with a lot of fun channel placement. Don't get an M50. Not for music.

Suggestions:

Panasonic RP-HTF600 with Velour Pads
Beyer DT990 PRO
Fischer Audio FA-011
Denon D2000 (used)
Ultrasone HFI 2400

Very best,

I guess I could see someone saying the D2000 is warm but I don't really agree.  I'm much less sure I agree about the Ultrasone and definitely don't agree about the DT990.  I think the DT990 may be the opposite of warm IME.  I haven't heard the others mentioned...

Oct 17, 2011 at 5:29 AM Post #67 of 78
I guess I could see someone saying the D2000 is warm but I don't really agree.  I'm much less sure I agree about the Ultrasone and definitely don't agree about the DT990.  I think the DT990 may be the opposite of warm IME.  I haven't heard the others mentioned...

The D2000 is hardly overly bright or bass shy.

Oct 17, 2011 at 9:38 AM Post #69 of 78

Quote:
The D2000 is hardly overly bright or bass shy.

The D2000 has more treble energy than the frequency graphs would suggest.  Purrin has a CSD plot of the D7000 that shows a ringing peak at 9K along with a nice bulb of treble energy that stays around in the regions around 9K.  The D2000 is going to have even more of that going on.

With classical music the D2000 is warm.  With rock music with cymbals it can become quite treble annoying.  Some amps can tame that Denon treble, some don't.

For Pink Floyd the Denons are really neat and a very nice match.  The good Pink Floyd masterings aren't hot in the treble so the Denons are able to do what they do best.

Oct 17, 2011 at 2:03 PM Post #71 of 78
The D2000 has more treble energy than the frequency graphs would suggest.  Purrin has a CSD plot of the D7000 that shows a ringing peak at 9K along with a nice bulb of treble energy that stays around in the regions around 9K.  The D2000 is going to have even more of that going on.

With classical music the D2000 is warm.  With rock music with cymbals it can become quite treble annoying.  Some amps can tame that Denon treble, some don't.

For Pink Floyd the Denons are really neat and a very nice match.  The good Pink Floyd masterings aren't hot in the treble so the Denons are able to do what they do best.

I certainly won't argue the chart but I will say that the Denons I've listened to had more prominent bass than anything else. So much so that I didn't notice the peak at 9 kHz. Either way Denons wouldn't be my choice and I'd be more inclined to choose the Senn HD600 for the OP.

Oct 17, 2011 at 2:09 PM Post #72 of 78
Let me add that yes I did notice that the Denon mids can be somewhat sucked out and the FR to be a bit "V" shaped. I always attributed that to the bass more so than the treble. So the left side being higher then the right.

Oct 29, 2011 at 6:42 AM Post #74 of 78
BTW,
anyone have any comments on the new Pink Floyd remasters?
I have the new 2 disc DSOTM.
The Live CD of DSOTM is phenomenal, I really like how the band stretches out on a few tracks. Everyone's playing is top notch.
I enjoy the live disc so much that I have only played the remastered studio version once.

Jan 11, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #75 of 78
Bump.
What?
biggrin.gif

No love for the "DSOTM" Experience Edition with the Live at Empire Pool, Wembley 1974 version?

BTW, sounding great thru my Beyer DT880/600 ohm 'phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back