What if you could only have one headphone....or two. What would you choose?
Nov 13, 2017 at 10:36 AM Post #226 of 316
I had received it 3 weeks ago, the AKG K 340, and now my unique headphone must be, and will be forever the AKG K 340, for only 3 reasons : money, i paid them under 200 hundred bucks, perfect state, green driver one, supposed to be bass-light version, that is ridiculous because the bass is there and detailed , then now the question is how will be the cost to upgrade them ?...

The other reason is linked with a simple audio fact, speakers are in general less profuse in inner details than the best headphones, and headphones are in general less able than speakers to give a depth imaging dimension ... Guess what ? The 340 produce a depth imaging on par with my actual speakers with also way more detailed mid range than my speakers, hence the organic realist presence of voices to die for.... This AKG K 340 to my ears is without evident, absolute, defect, i want to say defects that will kill the pleasure, all is relative for sure, for example the bass is so good, better than my he-400 and sound more, way more, nuanced and musical on all counts and in the bass department particularly, except the he-400 have sub-bass the 340 dont possess, but who need sub-bass in classical and jazz ?Oh! yes i forget the canon will be too smooth in The 1812 Overture by Tchaikovsky and some last notes in organ music for sure ...:ksc75smile: I experience also in the first listening, when they had not been damped rightly and mods. by me an incoherency between the bass and highs yes.... But now rightly mods, and damped,no more evident incoherencies;my 2 stax, a lambda nova one , and the Stax sr-5, sound now more artificial by comparison....And the natural realism of the 340 trounce the AKG K 701for me...They dont have the soundstage of the 701 but they have an headstage that is essentially a natural depth imaging so natural that listening to the 701 is difficult after that...

But the last reason is in the end absolutely no fatigue at all even for 12 hours listenings, compared to he-400, the highs are a bath of butterflies wings!.....They sound simply like speakers taped to your head pure and simple, and compared to any of the headphones i know of, they sound less like headphones than like speakers..Indeed they are some headphones, very costlier one, more detailed; they are speakers,very costlier one, with more depth imaging power, no doubts; but where is the headphone with a perfect balance between the natural depth imaging and the inner details ? Where ? But wait if there is one with this kind of perfect equilibrium between inner details and natural depth imaging,and probably there is one out of my reach, what is his price? ....No thanks, i will die, i must die with this AKG K 340 for sure, after all this is a relatively imperfect headphone,like most headphones are,it is not the better one , but nevermind the more musical that i ever listen to, i must say that, i must think that,OR my wife will kill me....:ksc75smile:

final note :
What explain the enigma around the adoration and simultaneous insatisfaction and sometimes contradictions that comes from this headphone and the different level of appreciation is the very clumsy material design,a solid one, but a clumsy one with no adequate damping around the revolutionary hybrid technology of the 2 cells, electroacoustic and dynamic one...

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2017 at 12:05 PM Post #227 of 316
I’ve acquired quite a few other HP’s since the last time I posted and still the modded Purplehearts are up there. Probably #2.
They’re just not to the level of the TH900. These HP’s are great to me for what SS I’m looking for. Deep impactful bass with insane sub bass. The mids are not as recessed as I’ve read about from some, along with non sibilant treble. I also like a nice sparkly top end but it can’t be sibilant. The soundstage is top notch for being semi closed and the detail? Over the top.
These sound particularly special when running on the Lyr2 that I also picked up. With the correct tube in this amp? Sublime!

Nov 13, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #229 of 316
I only have two, nuff said

Nov 13, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #230 of 316
Nov 13, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #231 of 316
or two

Nov 13, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #232 of 316
Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro for me
I actually prefer the DT 1990 over the T1.1. I'm itching to try the HD800S and TH900 though.

Nov 13, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #233 of 316
I have six or seven, but if I could only have two, they would be the Sennheiser HD800 and the Phillips X2.

Nov 14, 2017 at 6:45 AM Post #235 of 316
HD800S. Many others have come and gone, but these are here to stay.

Nov 14, 2017 at 8:15 AM Post #236 of 316
I have 3 headphones that I reaaly love: Sennheiser hd600, Shure se215, Sennheiser hd25.

If I have to choose just one I'll go probably with the Shure se215 not because it's the best sounding of the bunch, because it's usable in most situation. IEM's are very convenient, and I am lucky to get a perfect fit with the 215. Plus the sound quality it's very nice, deep bass, awesome vocals with smooth highs. I like them a lot!

With 2 headphones the 600 will kick in for sound quality and long listening session. Of course imaging it's better than the se215 and the sound it's more balanced, a reference for me. They got a similar midrange with awesome vocals. Probably is still one of the best headphone in the market, and a true legend.

With 3 headphones I like to add the Sennheiser hd25. With a more lively and energetic presentation this headphone has a very in-your-face sound with fantastic bass response and awesome timing. Isolation is top-notch, construction is bullet proof with all black stealth style, plays quite loud from portable players. Recabled it's even better (stock cable is steel) Not the most comfortable, clamping a bit too high.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2017 at 3:00 PM Post #237 of 316
I have 9 and want that many more.

yeah gotta catch em all'

gotta-catch-em-all-pokemon-gif.gif

just to keep this thread alive ....

Utopia...... ..........

Utopia/HEKv2 for 2.

throw in 009BHSE combo for 3 :D

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2017 at 3:02 PM Post #238 of 316
My Sennheiser sdr modded HD800...
and...modded Hifiman HE-6.
Sorry that's two, but I can't really decide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back