What if you could only have one headphone....or two. What would you choose?
Sep 23, 2017 at 4:34 AM Post #197 of 316
Hmmmmm.....

Considering how small my collection currently is, I'd say:

1) If 1, Final Sonorous VI.

2) If 2, Final Sonorous VI and Sennheiser HD650.

Will update later after some time.

Sep 23, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #198 of 316
Spurred by a thought from another thread, I came to the conclusion the answering the following questions might be the most important thing we could do for consumers at large.

And I thought it might make a great topic for an article.

And I also thought it would be a great topic for a thread.

If I only had one headphone, what should I get? For all uses...just one.

And as a second question: If I could only have two headphones, what would I get?

I spent a bit of time with Jude on the phone about doing this.
And we both thought it would be fun to include input from dialog on a thread here at Head-Fi.

There's a perfectly good thread to bump, but I don't think it poses the question quite right.

We both agreed that it's a very important question as it is one that both he and I get asked often...maybe most often.

My Answer (today, it will change over time, and I encourage you to repost here as it does):

If I could only have one: Sennheiser Momentum

If I could have two...

for portable: Westone ES5.

for home: MDR-1R

If I could only have one phone, it would have to sound pretty good, be sealed, act as a phone headset, and be reasonable comfortable, 'cuz I'd be using it a lot. The Momentum does that well for me.

But the question gets quite interesting when you add another variable: What if I could have any two headphones?
I'd have to have something that sounds really good in one of them, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's the home phone. With the two I picked above, the ES5 would be for quality listening, and when portable high isolation is required; leaving the 1R as an all-arounder for all sorts of duties both in and out of the house and for casual portable use.

I'm really curious to know what your picks would be.

It also might be interesting if you had to do it on different budgets.

Anyway, love to hear your thoughts on this.
For me number one would be my Koss ESP-950 headphones: detailed smooth comfort fast and to a small degree, portable
number two would be my Koss PortaPro does everything good, portable, decent sound and a great price.

Sep 23, 2017 at 6:23 PM Post #199 of 316
1. Focal Utopia would be my top choice for the only headphone, as of recently. I don't own, but I'm very impressed with the Elear. And seeing other's impressions of the Utopia, that is true TOTL and would be the end of my journey. For now. :smiling_imp:
Realistically, since I'm now broke after getting the Elear, I have what I need until I save some money. I'm not suffering from bad headphones at least.

2. If allowed two, add the Beoplay H7. Best wireless I ever owned.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2017 at 6:09 PM Post #202 of 316
The classic Sennheiser combination:
  • HD25
  • HD600
Covers every possible scenario

Edit if one only the answer is as always HD25, obviously. The headphone for a lifetime

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2017 at 9:13 PM Post #203 of 316
tough choice for me .....would come down to LCD-4,HE1000v2,Utopia and the HP I am listening to as I write this the Abyss 1266 Phi....and the winner is..you guessed it the Phi which I think is the best HP currently available ...I do admit I have never heard the stax....

Sep 24, 2017 at 9:25 PM Post #204 of 316
the question i keep asking myself is why having a top of the line speaker system do i find myself listening to HP's primarily these days....?

Sep 25, 2017 at 11:02 AM Post #206 of 316
Sadly if I had to pick only one, it would have to be the Bose Soundsport in-ears, since they've been the only ones I've found for running to sound decent enough (with eq), not fall out while running, and not have a bunch of cable noise while running.
For the second one I'd have a hard time picking between Beyers and Grados.

Sep 25, 2017 at 11:39 AM Post #207 of 316
If money is rain from the sky on me.... why not blue hawai + stax omega?

If we talk about our own already known headphone i think that Stax SR-5 or beyerdynamic DT-150 is a good choice...

If we talk of dream , my dream headphone now is AKG K 340....

Sep 25, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #208 of 316
If money is rain from the sky on me.... why not blue hawai + stax omega?

If we talk about our own already known headphone i think that Stax SR-5 or beyerdynamic DT-150 is a good choice...

If we talk of dream , my dream headphone now is AKG K 340....

Have you heard Dharma headphone which has electrostatic/dynamic combo? That k 340 sounds really cool :D

Sep 25, 2017 at 11:54 AM Post #209 of 316
If i had money i would buy the omega not the Dharma, like i said.... I have not much money, the Dharma is 1000 bucks, Akg is way less, and probably interesting to listen to....if correctly driven....

Sep 25, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #210 of 316
If i had money i would buy the omega not the Dharma, like i said.... I have not much money, the Dharma is 1000 bucks, Akg is way less, and probably interesting to listen to....if correctly driven....

ohhhhhhhh b/c you said dream, i thought maybe it is very $$$$$ (more than Dharma). If i also had money rain from sky, i think still r10/k1000 are on top of list :D But the Tyll (headphone guru humble master) BHSE/009 (or 007/mkII) recommendation should be taken seriously. I will be happy to hear any of them even once :D

Mid-fi lyfe pains :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back