What if you could only have one headphone....or two. What would you choose?
Sep 25, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #211 of 316
With money, life is easy, you buy the best or almost certainly the best, and you think about anything else than music....I dont have money, and in the last 7 years i read thousand of reviews, articles, opinions, in the search for the best system less than one thousand bucks, dac, amp, headphones included, i am very glad with my own system now .... The most important discovery i make about the greatest problem in audio, if you have an already good systems, commensurate to your bank account indeed,is the elimination of vibrations, and EMI, and this is the only way to go for me to transform an already good system to a relatively TOTL one....

If money was raining i would have spared myself all this studying process and bought the omega.... But i must say i am proud to be poor but more informed now....:beerchug:

Many people dream a one all made solution to all their insatisfaction and bought the last hype audio item, to regain satisfaction....My question is: one of the most sought vintage vintage audio item, 30 years or 40 years ago, is it completely crushed by the last very costly item now? The probable answer is no...First lesson is : buying vintage for me....Second lesson is elimination of vibrations and EMI... No serious company in audio will sell to the crowds a TOTL product or so called one , dac or amplifier, or an headphone, and after that saying it is necessary for optimal results to damp their product in many ways because of all source of vibrations and EMI affecting the performance....i concluded that for myself, and trust me there is no relation between any amplifier and dac performance nude or treated for vibrations or negative resonnance or EMI...i am no engineer by far, no scientist, only a poor audiophile, satisfy by his tweaked vintage system, absolutely not frustrated now by his lack of money.... Buying the Omega would be interesting indeed, but my system now is already almost there, except for headphones....Hence i want to try the AKG K 340, damped, and tweaked in my prepared system...

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2017 at 12:40 PM Post #212 of 316

If money was raining i would have spared myself all this studying process and bought the omega.... But i must say i am proud to be poor but more informed now....:beerchug:

The studying process/reviews etc.... are to me the best/funniest bit about this hobby. Just seeing other crazies go crazy.
giphy.gif

Also exploring new music genres. I've been listening to all sorts of new stuff since joining. My brain feels good.

Then i guess having an appreciation for the technology/ engineering etc without crossing into OCD level, though i have picked up some strange habits like checking for seals constantly in ear pads, face twitching to get the right fit :wink: :p, and forcing brain into hyper-awareness mode while listening to spiritual chanting to hear the imaging of background demons/ demi-gods guiding my soul to the left and right.

But in all seriousness, $$$$$ in unlimited quantity would make this quest a little easier; though, in saying that, you see people who have scored the TOTL gear and beyond still unsatisfied to some degree, and little complaints. Ofc fantasy > reality as they say. :D

Sep 25, 2017 at 1:07 PM Post #214 of 316
But in all seriousness, $$$$$ in unlimited quantity would make this quest a little easier; though, in saying that, you see people who have scored the TOTL gear and beyond still unsatisfied to some degree, and little complaints. Ofc fantasy > reality as they say. :D

They can afford to be unsatisfied because they have money.
Also - allot of it has to do with experience and/or perception. In this hobby, you need to know what to look for to get where you want to go!..
and unfortunately IMO the majority of Head-Fiers are inexperienced...and the irony is (i've noticed this recently) such Head-Fiers are the most frequent posters..

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #215 of 316
They can afford to be unsatisfied because they have money.
Also - allot of it has to do with experience and/or perception. In this hobby, you need to know what to look for to get where you want to go!..
and unfortunately IMO the majority of Head-Fiers are inexperienced...and the irony is (i've noticed this recently) such Head-Fiers are the most frequent posters..

I agree with your comment about that most high count posters are from the least experienced. I'm one of those people when you look at how long I've been a member. I can look past the BS even as experienced as I am. I post regularly because I want to learn, not try to be someone I'm not..... a guru audiophile. There's few people on this site that I truly value their opinion and seek them out personally for advice. So with that said......

If I had to chose 1 headphone from what "I know about" and own, it'll have to be my modded THX Purpleheart. I've owned probably 6-7 other pairs of HP's that I traded away for my own personal reasons, but the modded PH's suite my taste more then anything I own now or have owned. Now my opinion may change once I receive my TH900's in a few days. :) Really excited to play with my new toy......but it needs to hurry up and get here!!! :L3000:

Sep 28, 2017 at 10:11 AM Post #216 of 316
Thats an easy pick for me - Audio Zenith PMx2 rev2. PMx2's are just effortless and natural-sounding with whatever music or audio chain you throw at them. I cannot say that about any other headphone I've had a chance to listen to so far.

(I would probably need an umbrella for those rainy days though should I wear them outside :) )

Sep 28, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #217 of 316
If I could have only one, it would be a MMCX connector IEM. No idea what. (MMCX so I could add bluetooth for now and then and IEM because of noise isolation and portability)

If I could only have two, it would be the above IEM and a HD600.

Sep 28, 2017 at 3:41 PM Post #218 of 316
Koss porta pro, compact and lifetime warranty! Sounds good too

Oct 1, 2017 at 9:51 AM Post #221 of 316
009 and T2. There is no other choice.

Oct 1, 2017 at 10:35 AM Post #222 of 316
Have to choose 2, for open and closed. So far (the journey continues) LCD-X and TH-610.

Oct 3, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #224 of 316
Right at the moment I've been quite enjoying M1060 planars out of Questyle CMA600i. Questyle drives them well to higher definition and resolvability and quite enjoy warm sound and wide stage presentation the combo provides. I notice that 600i suppresses the upper mids treble slightly enough to reduce sibilance and forwardness, but without compremising detailing. I was surprised $300 M1060 scaled and sounds more refined or defined driven out of the 600i. Would highly recommend the combo. The Monoprice planar really put in perspective on the quality of audio gear they are capable of putting at great value. I hope more of these very capable value headphones are put into the market.

The 600i reduces the shrill with the 800s as well so I can bear it with the source.

Mojo has plenty of juice to drive planars with great control, but in comparison to 600i the definition and detailing lacks. I didn't know how refined of a sound the M1060 could put out until I drove it from the 600i. Well done Questyle!

I enjoy the combo with all genres, and enjoy due to sounding fun(musical) with a bit warmth, but sounding close to neutral in sig with mids not sounding incoherent and well defined. It really hit the spot for me. I can honestly say I'm enjoying music with the combo.:L3000:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back