What if you could only have one headphone....or two. What would you choose?
Nov 14, 2017 at 5:15 PM Post #241 of 316
you see people who have scored the TOTL gear and beyond still unsatisfied

Often it's not so much that they're unsatisfied so much as that they're audiophiles--that is, they love audio gear as much as or even more than the music. In that case, there's really no reason to stop trying out new gear, particularly in your example where the person has unlimited funds. As long as they're into the hobby, they'll naturally be interested in listening to new gear. Having said that, there might also be an element of dissatisfaction that helps drive them toward trying out more and more gear.

People can also become dissatisfied when they don't take headphones on their own terms and want them to sound like speakers. It will lead them toward one headphone after another but they will never be satisfied, not even with the TOTL.

I don't consider myself an audiophile. I'm more about the music. Basically, I'm just interested in trying out a few headphones and seeing which two or three I like best (ideally two open ones for home use and one closed for when I need to keep the music in or out). I've already found two open ones I like very much. I'm curious about a few more. Then hopefully I'll be satisfied for a while before I start looking at headphones again.

Of course, there's also the phenomenon where you start turning into an audiophile slowly, over time, without even realizing it. :dt880smile:

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #242 of 316
Often it's not so much that they're unsatisfied so much as that they're audiophiles--that is, they love audio gear as much as or even more than the music. In that case, there's really no reason to stop trying out new gear, particularly in your example where the person has unlimited funds for the hobby. As long as they're into the hobby, they'll naturally be interested in hearing new gear. Having said that, there might also be an element of dissatisfaction that helps drive them toward trying out more and more gear.

People can also become dissatisfied when they don't take headphones on their own terms and want them to sound like speakers. It will lead them toward one headphone after another but they will never be satisfied, not even with the TOTL.

I don't consider myself an audiophile. I'm more about the music. Basically, I'm just interested in trying out a few headphones and seeing which two or three I like best (ideally two open ones for home use and one closed for when I need to keep the music in or out). I've already found two open ones I like very much. I'm curious about a few more. Then hopefully I'll be satisfied for a while before I start looking at headphones again.

Of course, there's also the phenomenon where you starting turning into an audiophile slowly, over time, without even realizing it. :dt880smile:

Yes excellent points especially the kicker at the end. I was happy with my gruesome twosome - odd couple at the start of the journey, then it went ten fold. And though with headphones, i'm more about the music, i was more a gearwhore with car audio subwoofers. And ofc i would much rather listen to subwoofer + home speakers over headphones. So i can see both sides of the coin with your POV. And the best ones i've heard helped me understand whats out there, but the ones i havn't trap me into the fantasy. So the Holy Grain Sony in my head basically plays like speakers + subwoofer in my mind despite what i read about them lol . And with prices like 15k, maybe its better i don't meet my hero in this case and be disappointed.

In saying that, learning about new gear and their advantages/disadvantages propelled me into all sorts of new and weird genres of music i'd never imagined i would listen to. So they seem to be intertwined somehow. I never thought i would be in a quest to find the best tool to hear tablas!

U4cqOpN.gif

Nov 14, 2017 at 6:04 PM Post #243 of 316
If I could only have one..

Philips Fidelio L2 - Amazing sounding headphones that can be driven by anything. Semi-open but do not leak that bad so I could wear the around but open enough to offer a decent - soundstage with great imaging. Built like a tank, it would take a lot to damage them, plus the removable cable make it a no-brainer. It is the headphone I use the second most but I would be ok with it as my only one.

If I could have two.

Philips Fidelio L2 - for the reasons listed above.

Monoprice M1060 - My current favorite headphone for at home listening, sounds great with any genre and especially good with live music which as a deadhead is about 90% of my listening.

This is based off of headphones I have as I may not like my dream headphones as much as I think I will:)

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2017 at 7:34 PM Post #244 of 316
If I could only have just one then it would have to be my Sony WH-1000XM2. I love my HD650. But the convenience and portability of the Bluetooth Sony makes them the ones I'd choose if I had to have only 1.

Nov 15, 2017 at 4:30 PM Post #246 of 316
If I could only have one. Mr. Speakers Ether Open Flow

If I could have two. The second one would be the Campfire Vega IEMs

Subject to change as Senn HD 800S is on the way and about this time next year, the DNA Stratus to drive them.

Nov 16, 2017 at 10:53 PM Post #248 of 316
Probably the iSine 20's...
They don't sound great without EQ, but with them; they fulfill my EQ guilty pleasures and sound great with whatever setting I toss at them. They're open, portable, and comfortable.

Nov 16, 2017 at 11:45 PM Post #249 of 316
If one headphone: Sennheiser HE-1, without hesitation.

If two headphones, add one of the following (can't decide between them at the moment): Sony WH-1000XM2...or Shure KSE1500

The KSE1500 is still -- for my tastes, to my ears -- the best IEM I've yet heard, and still one of the best headphones to me regardless of form factor.

The WH-1000XM2 makes flying so much more tolerable, canceling more noise than any other headphone I've used on an airplane, and I do fly regularly -- and it offers excellent sound for its class. The isolation it creates is also useful in the office and at home at times.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2017 at 11:52 PM Post #250 of 316
Since most of my listening time are at home, I might get focal clear. It is not perfect but it satisfy every bit here and there. But to have only one headphone is just not gonna happen to me :nerd:

Dec 4, 2018 at 2:17 AM Post #252 of 316
(Disclaimer: I know I'm resurrecting an old thread, but I was curious as to what the answers would be as we're about to close the book on 2018 and I wanted to avoid making a new thread seeing as one is already made.)

If I could only have 1: Sennheiser HD 599. Easy enough to drive to use as a portable set, and despite its open-back design it only leaks sound if you play your music quite loudly (I listen at fairly quiet levels). I prefer open-backs when out and about because I like being able to retain situational awareness when cars pass; I've been hit one too many times by a car.

Choice of 2: I love my 2016 Audeze LCD-3 (especially after getting a new headband), but...I might actually pick the Sennheiser HD 6XX. It just has the most remarkable quality of retaining detail, but being forgiving, while also scaling incredibly well with higher-end gear.

Dec 4, 2018 at 5:18 AM Post #253 of 316
Personally, still looking for that one headphone /IEM or two but the following come close :

iBasso SR1
Fitear Parterre (Still on my list to own)

Hope everyone has a great day !

Dec 4, 2018 at 6:53 AM Post #255 of 316
Hifiman:

HE1000 v2 & HE6se

In the real world: HE500 & Arya or HEX v2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back