What happened to Grado's reputation?
Mar 1, 2011 at 11:41 AM Post #286 of 565

Quote:
No, worn the way I described (and I really do mean forward, with a good bit of the back parts of the ears left uncovered) the frequency balance is surprisingly neutral. In reply to the reversed-bowl suggestion, I certainly wouldn't want them any bassier (but then I don't like bass-heavy cans).

If it sounds good, it is good! 

Mar 2, 2011 at 11:21 PM Post #287 of 565
Now I feel dumb for not listening to the HP-1000 at the Bay Area Meet...hope I'll have another chance.

(Wow, this is one of those great threads that I had to read in its' entirety and it brought out some great Head-Fi'ers...)

Admission: I actually came to Head-Fi for what I now think is an embarrassing reason- looking for phones that I liked the look of on someone in an airport.  
blink.gif

After finding this site I ended up going for SOUND and got MS-1i...love them still and now have more Grados.

I've heard some other big cans (Sennheiser, AKG, Beyer) but I really enjoy the sound of Grados with the comfort (and sound) of Jumbo pads.

It may be a phase but I'm thoroughly enjoying the phase (just as Uncle E did with the RS-1).  

I've been happy with the quality <so far> and am even willing to buy used or B-Stock which might not look perfect, but if they sound good...

As for all the OT sub-conversations, okay I'll make it quick:
Opening up to other genres?  I think great phones make you want to listen to all kinds of stuff with 'em.

Rap?  I love the Roots.
Country?  Lyle Lovett's "Inside This House" is amazing.
Porsche?  No, not entirely practical and I hope the Intermediate Crankshaft doesn't blow up.

Bottom line?  If you like Grados, I really think you'll know it and it will all be worth it...or you can pass them on.
beerchug.gif

Mar 3, 2011 at 10:45 AM Post #289 of 565
^ I agree with those sentiments. Considering the controversial topic(s), everyone has been civil and a lot of interesting points of view. 

Mar 3, 2011 at 1:57 PM Post #290 of 565
After owing my first Grado's for a week now, I hope they never change their products to please people who clearly like other products.

They are comfortable once you get used to them and they and have the sweetest sound ever!

Here's to Mr Grado!

beerchug.gif

Mar 3, 2011 at 2:15 PM Post #292 of 565

Quote:
A short question:

Do Grados always need amps?

No. My SR80 is driven just as well by my iPod as by the built-in headamp in my Marantz CD5001.

Mar 3, 2011 at 2:52 PM Post #294 of 565

Quote:
and what about the SR225i & SR325i?

My 225i's sound much better amped. I use the little ibasso t3, but any of the fiio amps would do the job aswell. They will certainly be loud enough straight from a dap, as they are low impedance but I've noticed that the more power you give them then the better the overall sound is. (better bass, less harshness at the top)

If you are wanting Grado's unamped I'd personally go for the sr60's because in general, the more expensive you go with headphones then the more of a need there is to drive them correctly to get the best performance out of them. 

Mar 3, 2011 at 2:55 PM Post #295 of 565

Quote:
A short question:

Do Grados always need amps?

Not the lower end, I can't comment on the higher end, but the impedance would seem to say they don't benefit much from an amp, though every headphone will benefit somewhat from an amp. My 225i though didn't improve much with my FiiO E7.

Mar 3, 2011 at 3:07 PM Post #296 of 565

Quote:
My 225i's sound much better amped. I use the little ibasso t3, but any of the fiio amps would do the job aswell. They will certainly be loud enough straight from a dap, as they are low impedance but I've noticed that the more power you give them then the better the overall sound is. (better bass, less harshness at the top)

If you are wanting Grado's unamped I'd personally go for the sr60's because in general, the more expensive you go with headphones then the more of a need there is to drive them correctly to get the best performance out of them. 

Quote:

Not the lower end, I can't comment on the higher end, but the impedance would seem to say they don't benefit much from an amp, though every headphone will benefit somewhat from an amp. My 225i though didn't improve much with my FiiO E7.

2 controversial posts.....

Mar 3, 2011 at 3:09 PM Post #297 of 565
Coming up on two years or so and everytime I listen to my GS1000i's I love them.   I also love the PS1000, as I've mentioned in other threads.   I really don't see an issue with either, and I'm frankly very puzzled when I read posts about how one or the other spelled the demise of the once great Grado name.  Yeah, they're expensive phones, though, as someone else mentioned, there are plenty of dealers out there who will knock the price by as much as 20 percent or more.  

For what it's worth, I actually met John Grado recently and was very pleasantly surprised.  Very nice fellow, and we talked about most everything BUT headphones.   My impression is, hey, he's earned a good living from the family business, and it his personal choice to stick with what's worked for him so far so that his entire life isn't taken up with work.  As far as I'm concerned, that's a darn healthy attitude.  If he were to try to keep up with the big boys or the FOTM manufacturers, he'd be working 24 hours a day.  Sounds like a smart man to me. 

As for differences between "John's" cans and "Joe's," they were produced by different persons, and simply reflect different approaches.  I can't say one is "better" or "worse" irrespective of whether the graphs or charts say one is more neutral than the other.   To me, the balance on both the GS1000i and the PS1000 are perfectly okay, just as the balance on the HD800 and JH13 is too (other cans I own).  

I'm no Grado fan boy, and I still wish their quality control, especially on their high end phones, were better, but in the end, buying them is your (or my) choice, and as far as I'm concerned, both are darn good products.   Of course, you need to have the right synergy with your source(s), but that goes without saying when you buy expensive gear.   With that said, I don't regret a single cent I've spent on my Grados, and believe me, I'm no rich kid.   

If Grado can still be in business after all these years, they must be doing something right.  The fact that John is a regular guy (even if he may be a NY Yankees fan) is icing on the cake.

Mar 3, 2011 at 3:15 PM Post #298 of 565

Quote:
2 controversial posts.....

The only thing my E7 helped was the anemic bass from the 225i, which forced me to use bass boost on the 225i. Yes, less bass than the Ad900s.

Mar 3, 2011 at 3:21 PM Post #300 of 565
The entire Grado line have the same 32 Ohm impedance rating and are quite efficient, in fact you could run the PS1000 from an ipod and get some pretty good results(ofcourse not to its full potential).  They're easy to drive but, they will definitely benefit(especailly the upper end models) from amplificaion with the possible exception of the SR60i.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back