What happened to Grado's reputation?
Mar 6, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #556 of 565

Guess the future of Grado hangs in the balance with the eldest son - Jonathan Grado who looks to be 19 or 20
 years old.

Could be wrong, but if he decides to pursue another career path outside of audio then it is doubtful that a
 company like Grado will continue to function without an actual 'Grado' in the house.

All the intellectual property could end up being sold off I suppose.

Mar 6, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #557 of 565
As to their designs that aren't 'stylish' enough, we've all seen lately with this new 'Hipster' movement that vintage is coming back. You can't deny, Grados look retro, once some 'Hipster' wannabe kid spots them and decided they fit his image, they'll expand to another market. It's not all about the audio, as we've seen, it's also about looks, and with this new fashion movement, Grado is playing their cards just right. 

But yes, I agree with the above posts, they need a breathe of fresh air to almost re-innovate themselves, if not, they may die out once and for all. But I sure hope they don't

Mar 7, 2012 at 1:47 AM Post #558 of 565

Quote:
I know they are sticking by the ol' American philosophy that if it ain't broke don't fix it, but IMO they have the resources for innovation, and so should do it. Every other major brand is investing in improving the technology and engineering behind present and new designs, especially within the last 5 years or so, the level of competitiveness on the audiophile market is much higher now.

What other companies are improving the technology and engineering?

Mar 7, 2012 at 2:17 AM Post #559 of 565
I think a lot folks forget that Grado doesn't just make headphones.  If you're a serious vinyl junkie, you know just what I'm talking about.

I don't get how one thinks just buy "modernizing" a product it's going to be a better and innovating product.  C'mon, the elements of a headphone is very basic.  Doesn't matter if the sound is created from a dynamic, ortho, or stax drivers.  Head-frame, wires, housing material, and drivers is pretty much it.  And the beauty with any Grado can is its distinct signature sound.  There's a consequence to any company going mainstream (stuff at BestBuy and the sorts); that's just not how small, family rooted business do things.

Mar 7, 2012 at 6:39 AM Post #560 of 565

Quote:
I think a lot folks forget that Grado doesn't just make headphones.  If you're a serious vinyl junkie, you know just what I'm talking about.

I don't get how one thinks just buy "modernizing" a product it's going to be a better and innovating product.  C'mon, the elements of a headphone is very basic.  Doesn't matter if the sound is created from a dynamic, ortho, or stax drivers.  Head-frame, wires, housing material, and drivers is pretty much it.  And the beauty with any Grado can is its distinct signature sound.  There's a consequence to any company going mainstream (stuff at BestBuy and the sorts); that's just not how small, family rooted business do things.

Well said - the big modern issue for Grado is that regardless of sonic performance, we live in age where product mediocrity can actually thrive given
 the right exposure and packaging - case in point - if let's say someone chose a AiAiAi TMA-1 over a Grado 225i?

They retail for $199 and $200 respectively on Amazon.

Mar 7, 2012 at 11:06 AM Post #562 of 565
I actually think the headband is simplistically sexy

Mar 7, 2012 at 11:13 AM Post #563 of 565
And in conclusion you will never be able to please everyone....

/thread

Mar 7, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #564 of 565

Quote:
I actually think the headband is simplistically sexy

The ol' simple Grado headband is certainly a functional piece of simplicity - however Johnny G did
 take a little short cut with the PS1000.

That behemoth does force all owners eventually to seek out an auto trimmer/leather goods maker - all the weight
 eventually bears down on this 2-4cm contact patch on your skull. Not a biggie but you start to feel it
 after a 2 hour stretch.

Mar 7, 2012 at 4:03 PM Post #565 of 565
The headband of the LCD first model was / is terrible, they also hanging on your ears as two heavy bricks, not sure about the latest, to each his own, right?

Quote:
Didnt bother to read the whole thread, i just want say why the hell grado does not want to improve their headband!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back