What happened to Grado's reputation?
Mar 3, 2011 at 9:52 PM Post #316 of 565
It's unfortunate that John Grado decided to do away with all of the older Grado signature headphones like the HP1000. If they were to have at least one top tier neutral headphone, I bet that they will attract the rest of the market. Members like rhythmdevil, Uncle Erik, myself, etc etc may own a Grado. Honestly, Grado's handmade vintage designs are rather appealing.

Mar 3, 2011 at 10:02 PM Post #317 of 565
Without Mr. John Grado, this headphone manufacturer might have been long gone. Please give him some credits.

In the beginning of John’s “reign” as chief Grado, which took place in 1990, the company was hurting with as little as $300,000 in sales. In fact, before John took over, Joseph Grado was very close to closing the doors of his beloved company. John remarked how the late 80’s and early 90’s were the market lows for both headphones and cartridges.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/127867/an-interview-with-john-grado 

Mar 3, 2011 at 10:31 PM Post #318 of 565

Quote:
No they can't. If high mids were the only part to be considered "the mids", then probably but not really. However, almost all Grados recessed the mids (~500-1K) and the lower mids (~250K-500K) by 10 db from the treble. The top tier Grados recess all of the mids in one gigantic scoop.

So no, they aren't mid-centered. They are definitely treble centered.

Compare with the Audio Technica ESW9 (blue) which I would actually consider mid centered.

Where's the scoop?  Between 100-1000Hz the Grados have a greater DB amplitude than the ATH.  I don't know about GS1000 standing in for high-end Grados- the RS-1 have a very similar graph to the SR225, except they have slightly more amplitude in that range.  Grados do have treble, but that doesn't mean they don't have mids.  Listening to rock on D7000, which have a very similar curve to the ESW9 between 20-2000Hz, it sounds as if someone forgot to switch on the microphone on the vocals and guitar when compared to RS-1.

Mar 3, 2011 at 10:42 PM Post #319 of 565

Quote:

Where's the scoop?  Between 100-1000Hz the Grados have a greater DB amplitude than the ATH.  I don't know about GS1000 standing in for high-end Grados- the RS-1 have a very similar graph to the SR225, except they have slightly more amplitude in that range.  Grados do have treble, but that doesn't mean they don't have mids.  Listening to rock on D7000, which have a very similar curve to the ESW9 between 20-2000Hz, it sounds as if someone forgot to switch on the microphone on the vocals and guitar when compared to RS-1.

The scoop is noticeable smack in the middle of middle range frequency 500-1K. Just because the Grados show higher db amplitude means nothing when almost nothing on the graph for the ATH goes past zero.

As I mentioned before, the Grados have boosted upper mids and treble. The mids and lower mids are left recessed compared to the rest of the sound. I was actually going to say that I didn't like the rather treble and upper mid recess of the ESW9a. I only used that graph as an example of where Grados recess their frequencies compared to where the ESW9a emphasizes. I would prefer if the Headroom provided graphs of the ESW10JPN or the better Audio Technicas for mid range, but it is clear that the mid range is boosted on the ESW9A, though the upper mid range begs more to be desired..

Mar 3, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #321 of 565
Quote:
Without Mr. John Grado, this headphone manufacturer might have been long gone. Please give him some credits.

In the beginning of John’s “reign” as chief Grado, which took place in 1990, the company was hurting with as little as $300,000 in sales. In fact, before John took over, Joseph Grado was very close to closing the doors of his beloved company. John remarked how the late 80’s and early 90’s were the market lows for both headphones and cartridges.

Yea, I heard which is very impressive. I agree with rhythmdevil with this though. I don't really think the sound signature was the whole reason to the shift in revenue. It is probably mostly due to a different market strategy. If you look through Head-fi polling threads, you'd find that a lot of members actually prefer a neutral sound signature.

Mar 3, 2011 at 10:58 PM Post #322 of 565
Subtle, analog'd, very subtle :)

I've gone back to basics - a second pair of SR60i's will arrive at my place next week and I'm going to progressively work my way through the Bilavideo mods. Not entirely sure that venting a design which has stood the test of time is the wisest move I have ever made, but thats why I am doing it with the 60s :)

Mar 3, 2011 at 11:02 PM Post #323 of 565

Quote:
It's unfortunate that John Grado decided to do away with all of the older Grado signature headphones like the HP1000. If they were to have at least one top tier neutral headphone, I bet that they will attract the rest of the market. Members like rhythmdevil, Uncle Erik, myself, etc etc may own a Grado. Honestly, Grado's handmade vintage designs are rather appealing.

I thought UE actually liked many of the current Grado lineup, but then I dont work too hard keeping track of individual members' preferences - a lot of it went under a bridge when the orthos came out. If they are anything like my old Fostex T50RP orthos, it would be great to watch people's faces at a meet when they try a pair of orthos for the first time.

Mar 4, 2011 at 6:10 AM Post #324 of 565

Quote:
Yea, I heard which is very impressive. I agree with rhythmdevil with this though. I don't really think the sound signature was the whole reason to the shift in revenue. It is probably mostly due to a different market strategy. If you look through Head-fi polling threads, you'd find that a lot of members actually prefer a neutral sound signature.

I don't think the sound signature change is the only factor either but it is an important one.
Grado didn't start off as a company making headphones. The HP1000 came about because Joe was not happy with the other headphones he was using. He made the headphones as a tool to use in the studios. The HP1000 were made in small numbers and sold for a relatively high price. They were never meant to be used by general public to enjoy music at home. Joe is totally against making headphones for a particular type of music. These are all things that John might not have insisted on. His headphones are made for general public. HP1000 is like BBC LS3/5A- made for recording studios but whether you want to use them at home is another matter.
The likes of SR200,100, 300 or 325 were the company's attemp to give the public some affordable headphones. I got the feeling that this was mainly John's idea. Some of those had HP1000 drivers in them because John did not have his own yet. That is the beginning of Grado as we know it now. There is a big different between Joe and John's approach and design goals. I like a lot of John's phones too (early RS1, black SR325 and PS1) and I agree that we have to give John credit for saving the company. I don't think Grado Lab would still exist if they were making studio monitor headphones and hand built HPA-1 amps.
The best Grado in my opinion is still HP1000. Joe's upgrade made them even better. I own a few headphones but nothing even come close in sound quality compared to the modded HP1000.

Mar 4, 2011 at 8:52 AM Post #325 of 565
I've never heard the Joe Grado modded HP1000, but I find it amazing that such an old man, bless his soul, could pull that off.  I'm just in my 50s, and my hearing is definitely not what it used to be.  Incredible!

Mar 4, 2011 at 11:22 AM Post #326 of 565

Quote:

I agree.  Then there is the sound that would be nice not to forget.  We need both business savvy and a passion for the music.  I think John has that, but it's different from what Joe brings to the table.  Just as here at Head-Fi, everyone hears differently.

Mar 4, 2011 at 12:14 PM Post #327 of 565

Quote:
I've never heard the Joe Grado modded HP1000, but I find it amazing that such an old man, bless his soul, could pull that off.  I'm just in my 50s, and my hearing is definitely not what it used to be.  Incredible!

Joe is now 87 or 88 and still has very good hearing. He only just finished his new microphones a few months ago.

Mar 4, 2011 at 1:37 PM Post #328 of 565

Quote:
No they can't. If high mids were the only part to be considered "the mids", then probably but not really. However, almost all Grados recessed the mids (~500-1K) and the lower mids (~250K-500K) by 10 db from the treble. The top tier Grados recess all of the mids in one gigantic scoop.

So no, they aren't mid-centered. They are definitely treble centered.

Compare with the Audio Technica ESW9 (blue) which I would actually consider mid centered.

The lower models are not so V shaped though still recessing the mids but the top tier ones inarguably are

Yep, I stand corrected. there is definately a u shape with the GS1000's. I own the 225i's and havent heard any other Grado's, so I can only give my impressions on those. All of the other Grado Graphs that I have seen have also not been u shaped... So it must be the GS1000's that I haven't seen. But I can still say without a shadow of a doubt, and as far as my experience and objectiveness (as much as it is possible in regards to hearing)goes, are that the mids of my SR225i's are not recessed. And the bass is warm...
gs1000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back