What gear do I need to power my Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 250 ohm headphones?
Dec 23, 2012 at 6:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Carboknight

New Head-Fier
I've just bought a new pair, and I am a TOTAL NOOB to high end headphones. I almost bought a pair of Beats Studio before I stumbled upon this site. I like portability so I was wondering which of the FiiO amps to buy, which line out dock to buy, and whether I need a new sound card for my computer. I'm using my Ipod touch and HP laptop with Beats audio mainly. Thanks a lot guys! 

Dec 23, 2012 at 6:52 PM Post #2 of 12
Quote:
I've just bought a new pair, and I am a TOTAL NOOB to high end headphones. I almost bought a pair of Beats Studio before I stumbled upon this site. I like portability so I was wondering which of the FiiO amps to buy, which line out dock to buy, and whether I need a new sound card for my computer. I'm using my Ipod touch and HP laptop with Beats audio mainly. Thanks a lot guys! 

Can you put those headphones into both devices, and do they get loud enough for you? If yes, you are fine. If no, then get a Fiio E11. 
wink.gif

Dec 23, 2012 at 7:06 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:
I've just bought a new pair, and I am a TOTAL NOOB to high end headphones. I almost bought a pair of Beats Studio before I stumbled upon this site. I like portability so I was wondering which of the Fiio amps to buy, which line out dock to buy, and whether I need a new sound card for my computer. I'm using my IPod touch and HP laptop with Beats audio mainly. Thanks a lot guys! 

Did you have a budget?

The Fiio E07k ($89) would work with both, the E07K could connect with the Laptop's USB port, so you could use the E07K DAC & amp feature with the laptop.
You could also connect (with Fiio L cable, $10) the E07K to the iPod's LOD port, allowing you to use the E07K's amp feature (but not the E07K's DAC).

The Fiio E11 ($60) is an amplifier only, that can connect to the laptop's headphone jack and to the iPod's LOD port (using Fiio L cable).

Dec 23, 2012 at 7:23 PM Post #4 of 12
A higher end but still relatively affordable option (depending on budget) is the jds labs c421. It outclasses fiio by a fair way, as well as many other amps out there, but it's a budget thing I guess.

My weapon of choice is the 770 pro 250ohm and I owned an e17 until I sold it for the c421

Dec 24, 2012 at 1:52 AM Post #5 of 12
Thanks for the quick replies guys
Just for clarification I ended up cancelling the 250ohm and getting the 80ohm instead,
I guess the talk about not finding a sufficient portable amp scared me. 
I've been looking at the Fiio gear, and was wondering if the E6 would be sufficient, or do I need the E11?
I listen to a lot of stuff, lots of movie soundtracks and choral music,
BUT I'm also a huge basshead and I love getting shook by my bass.
I'm a college student and I'm running on fumes finance-wise, so I'm looking for my best bang-for-buck.

Dec 24, 2012 at 1:55 AM Post #6 of 12
And for that matter do you recommend the 80ohm or 250ohm for me? I can still cancel and reorder 250 if i need to. I just don't want to haul around tons of gear to make my cans sounds good :p

Dec 24, 2012 at 3:08 AM Post #8 of 12
i powered the 250 EASILY on my e17 which is virtually the same as an e11 in the amp section. the "slimmest" of the portable amps under $200 is the C421. there are smaller ones for more money. The fio is smaller but not thinner. I wouldnt pay $130 for an e17 knowing you can pay $180-$210 (depending on country) for a c421. The Cmoy is an altoids tin. cool but wide and not that durable if strapping to an iphone. The sound is noce, but without eq or bass boost to my knowledge.

Apr 27, 2014 at 4:35 AM Post #10 of 12
Did you have a budget?

The Fiio E07k ($89) would work with both, the E07K could connect with the Laptop's USB port, so you could use the E07K DAC & amp feature with the laptop.
You could also connect (with Fiio L cable, $10) the E07K to the iPod's LOD port, allowing you to use the E07K's amp feature (but not the E07K's DAC).

The Fiio E11 ($60) is an amplifier only, that can connect to the laptop's headphone jack and to the iPod's LOD port (using Fiio L cable).

Sorry I'm a noob, but why wouldn't the DAC work?

Apr 27, 2014 at 11:57 AM Post #12 of 12

Can you put those headphones into both devices, and do they get loud enough for you? If yes, you are fine. If no, then get a Fiio E11. 
wink.gif

in general i do agree with this, but in the case of high impedance headphones like these, its said that the cans wont reach their full potential without a proper power source. back in the day i did try it for myself and if i remember correctly, there was a difference, i just dont remember how much of a difference... 

And for that matter do you recommend the 80ohm or 250ohm for me? I can still cancel and reorder 250 if i need to. I just don't want to haul around tons of gear to make my cans sounds good :p

the beyers are very efficient headphones, and either would work pretty well. seeing as your planning on getting an amp, id suggest you get whichever version you can find for the cheapest. granted, the 80 ohm version is considered the more bassy one, but from what i hear (i.e this is not from personal experience) the difference isnt that great. if i were you i would take care of the bass through some eqing. i have the 250 ohm version and i dont find them very bassy by themselves, but with some eqing i can make them into bass mosters!
  AGH IM SORRY to be posting too much, but ALSO can you tell me anything about the Fiio E11 vs the JDS labs cMoyBB v2.03? They are about the same price ;P

from my own experience with these products (these are my own impressions and opinions, not fact):

fiio e11
pros: teeny tiny amp, about the size of a credit card and about as thick as a cigarette. 2 stage bass boost (more about this soon). can be charged by usb.
cons: short battery life (about 6 hours if memory serves), cant be used while charging. kinda flimsy and scratches easily

cMoyBB (i have one from jds labs) 
pros: long battery life (about 18 hours, again, if memory serves), looks gorgeous and is very sturdy. in general has a nicer "feel" to it with a nice volume pot.
cons: bigger and heavier than the e11 by a wide margin, one stage bass boost, if bought in the economical version, as i do recommend that you do, you have to get chargeable batteries by yourself and charge them separately outside of the amp itself.

a word about equalizers: the e11 has two stages, each adding ~3dB, while the cmoy has a single stage, adding ~10dB which is ALOT. both these boosts, and most other hardware boosters, start boosting at ~300-500 Hz, and peak at ~250 Hz. this to me, is too much and i find it interferes with the mids and muddies up the sound. personally, i prefer boosting with software equalizers and doing so with the lower frequencies, having the peak at ~80 Hz. but thats just what i think, and i like having massive sub bass as opposed to a mid bass hump.
i use an app called poweramp if listening from my phone and i find it quite satisfactory.

hope this helps

edit:
one more thing. i dont mean to rain on your parade mate, but the 770s arent exactly what id call portable. theyre sturdy and strong and im sure theyd be able to take a good beating, i.e im sure they would survive being purposed as portables, and another HF user told me once that indeed he does use them as his portable setup with no issue whatsoever.
but, theyre big and bulky, they dont fold, the cable is long, corded and attached...
i think its a great headphone and im sure youll like it, but i felt you may want to consider this nonetheless. if you dont care about all that - then by all means - enjoy yourself =]
good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back