What exactly Headphile does to 770 when it becomes Darth Beyers?
Dec 3, 2007 at 8:42 PM Post #61 of 206
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Essentially that's true. I mean if I bought a pair and decided to post it on here, I'de have every "right" to wouldn't I?

Chances are even if people did show what was done, it wouldn't change anything other than the fact people knowing EXACTLY what was done. And as a consumer, shouldn't one know what they're (potentially)purchasing? I think this is the only industry where people will buy blindly into something without much questions before hand other than "Does it improve sound"?

That would be like me buying a new motor for a car and just asking "Does it make me go faster?". Sounds just as stupid, but it's just on a larger scale than headphones are, both monetarily and physically speaking.

Not to take anything away from Larry, I'm sure it's a great product. But I'm fairly confidant in saying, he'd probably have nothing to worry about if people did open up the cans to see what was done and posted it here. I mean heck, look at Vinnie and RWA, there all sorts of DIY and other 'iMod' vendors(variations of an iPod modded), but it's OBVIOUSLY taking nothing away from him. What's with all this taboo?

The thread would be closed & that person would be banned.

Dec 3, 2007 at 8:52 PM Post #63 of 206
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deathwish238 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He wouldn't give me basic advice about terminating my cable...

It's called paranoia. Larrys interest isn't to help out the community or the like. He's strickly a businessman first & foremost.. Nothing wrong with that..

I still doubt his claims of 'secret tweaks' that no one knows about.. Gimme a break..
cool.gif

Dec 3, 2007 at 8:57 PM Post #64 of 206
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You misunderstand. I need to print something about once every six months. I was tired of getting 8 pages out of an ink cartridge before the jets were clogged.

He wouldn't tell me how to unclog them, but i could plainly see the $24 harbor freight ultrasonic bath on his workbench.

The 2nd problem, after how to unclog them, is how to prevent them from becomming clogged as the printer sits on the shelf unused for 6 months.

I didn't like his attitude so i took my business elsewhere.

Ahh...misunderstood. You can do the same thing (albeit, it'll take a little longer) by just soaking the heads in water and pressing on them every so often.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The thread would be closed & that person would be banned.

Horrible, isn't it?

Dec 3, 2007 at 9:00 PM Post #65 of 206
I don't really understand what the issue is. Larry spent lord knows how many hours working on mods, tweaking them, and making a small business for himself because other people value what he's does for many reasons. Someone else comes along also valuing his work, but now wants that value for himself without putting in the hours and doing the R&D. This line of thinking seems to run like this:

1. You do the work for me.
2. Now tell me what you did so I can copy it without doing the work myself
3. I deserve this information because I want it

Can someone say entitlement? The remaining comments about free markets, global competition, open sources, etc. are then tossed out to justify the first three points. Bullhooey.

1. Someone has done the work, a lot of it.
2. They don't have to tell you anything because they did the work, not you.
3. No, you don't deserve this or any information simply because you want it or are curious.
4. If you want to mod your headphones, do it. Telling people or not will then be your choice to make.

EDIT: Also, how could someone be offended about Larry's response stating that he didn't offer DIY tips? He doesn't have to, and there are many resources that offer. That was a simple, factual statement. How could anyone take offense?

Dec 3, 2007 at 9:10 PM Post #66 of 206
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't really understand what the issue is. Larry spent lord knows how many hours working on mods, tweaking them, and making a small business for himself because other people value what he's does for many reasons. Someone else comes along also valuing his work, but now wants that value for himself without putting in the hours and doing the R&D. This line of thinking seems to run like this:

Can someone say entitlement? The remaining comments about free markets, global competition, open sources, etc. are then tossed out to justify the first three points. Bullhooey.

1. Someone has done the work, a lot of it.
2. They don't have to tell you anything because they did the work, not you.
3. No, you don't deserve this or any information simply because you want it or are curious.
4. If you want to mod your headphones, do it. Telling people or not will then be your choice to make.

EDIT: Also, how could someone be offended about Larry's response stating that he didn't offer DIY tips? He doesn't have to, and there are many resources that offer. That was a simple, factual statement. How could anyone take offense?

I keep hearing about community, & helping out head fiers. Most people here are very community orientated & very open & helpful. Does Larry have to, no? But what harm would it do to give him a quick one word answer?

Dec 3, 2007 at 9:13 PM Post #67 of 206
I have no issue with someone else entering the tiny little market for making custom Beyer mods, but for anyone to do this by just ripping off Larry's designs would be incredibly bogus at best. I certainly wouldn't give that person any business.

But I don't think we NEED another Headphile. There are plenty of other headphones he doesn't mod. Someone would be better off doing cool mods for headphones Larry doesn't work on.

Dec 3, 2007 at 9:14 PM Post #68 of 206
Quote:

Well said.

Dec 3, 2007 at 9:14 PM Post #69 of 206
Larry helps the community by sponsoring the site. Asking him to undercut his livelihood so you can get something you didn't work for is expecting to much.

Dec 3, 2007 at 9:20 PM Post #70 of 206
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm still missing the part where this is perfectly justified:

Quote:

I would ask politely that you don't copy or clone my products other than for your own personal use (but don't be posting details anywhere). Clones for sale or directions on how to build something I make will not be acceptable. Please respect this...

Dec 3, 2007 at 9:35 PM Post #71 of 206
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm still missing the part where this is perfectly justified:

You should see some of the threats he's made in private to DIYers who happen to sell some of their own custom woodied Grados...

There's so much I'd love to say in this thread, but it'd pretty much guarantee me a permanent ban.
rolleyes.gif

Dec 3, 2007 at 9:43 PM Post #72 of 206
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I keep hearing about community, & helping out head fiers. Most people here are very community orientated & very open & helpful. Does Larry have to, no? But what harm would it do to give him a quick one word answer?

If you've ever done any business with Larry you would know that he will answer any applicable questions, respond to multiple and lengthy emails in kind, and go out of his way to make sure you are happy with your decision to purchase anything before you do. The point is that he did take the time to answer the question. That's respect, helpful, and even kind. You just didn't like the answer, but that, again, has to do with the entitlement issues of the questioner, and has zero connection to Larry's contributions to the community or his willingness to be helpful.

Dec 3, 2007 at 9:49 PM Post #73 of 206
I just kind of want to get my thoughts on this out there.

1. It's unethical to copy Headphile designs for anything other than personal knowledge.

2. I'm a consumer. I'm obviously fine with a Headphile competitor. Another innovator would be awesome for buyers and for the headphone community in general. Who knows what another innovator like Larry could think up?

I guess that's all I have
redface.gif
I've forgotten what I read in this thread
tongue.gif

Also, I think there's a misconception going around here. AFAIK, people aren't saying that it's ok to "let Larry do the work, ask Larry what he did so you don't have to do the work, and assume that you deserve it". I think most of the questions are coming from consumers wondering what they're paying for and people looking for knowledge. I think both of those motives are fine.

Dec 3, 2007 at 9:53 PM Post #74 of 206
I think the op was just asking what he was paying for, others were not. If you want to know what Larry does, ask Larry. If you want to know what others do, ask them.

Dec 3, 2007 at 10:02 PM Post #75 of 206
I still can't understand why anyone would assume that Larry would give DIY advice? Especially when it's a question that is so rudimentary and answered multiple times on this site.

Larry is a business, his business is modifying headphones with mods he developed. Why in the heck would he help someone else do this? Do I agree with everything that he does, no, but I suspect he's not my biggest fan either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back