What exactly Headphile does to 770 when it becomes Darth Beyers?
Dec 3, 2007 at 5:57 PM Post #16 of 206
Essentially that's true. I mean if I bought a pair and decided to post it on here, I'de have every "right" to wouldn't I?

Chances are even if people did show what was done, it wouldn't change anything other than the fact people knowing EXACTLY what was done. And as a consumer, shouldn't one know what they're (potentially)purchasing? I think this is the only industry where people will buy blindly into something without much questions before hand other than "Does it improve sound"?

That would be like me buying a new motor for a car and just asking "Does it make me go faster?". Sounds just as stupid, but it's just on a larger scale than headphones are, both monetarily and physically speaking.

Not to take anything away from Larry, I'm sure it's a great product. But I'm fairly confidant in saying, he'd probably have nothing to worry about if people did open up the cans to see what was done and posted it here. I mean heck, look at Vinnie and RWA, there all sorts of DIY and other 'iMod' vendors(variations of an iPod modded), but it's OBVIOUSLY taking nothing away from him. What's with all this taboo?

Dec 3, 2007 at 6:20 PM Post #17 of 206
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Essentially that's true. I mean if I bought a pair and decided to post it on here, I'de have every "right" to wouldn't I?

Yes, you would. You own it, you can do anything to it that you like.

But we're some sort of community here, so lets say for the sake of argument that we all agree to respect his wishes.

Us not talking about it doesn't actually produce any more business for him or raise much of a barrier for competition - it's just us being nice.

Ben Franklin said some interesting things about this sort of intellectual property in a letter he wrote in response to news that someone had copied his stove design. Bears reading.

Dec 3, 2007 at 6:22 PM Post #18 of 206
Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Probably Sennheiser hated "650 uses 580 drivers thread" Still, people like to know
smily_headphones1.gif

Do you have anything else to say or are you just going to post this as many times as you can?
confused.gif

Dec 3, 2007 at 6:23 PM Post #19 of 206
Quote:

Originally Posted by kpeezy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not saying Larry should do the same thing, but I also don't think it's rude to imitate a mod or question what's going on in there.

It's not rude to ask but it's a bit naive to expect a reply. Would you expect Coke to tell you their recipe? It's the same principle in play here.

And who's to say that even if you bought one, took it apart and studied it that you'd be able to duplicate the results?

Dec 3, 2007 at 6:29 PM Post #20 of 206
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's not rude to ask but it's a bit naive to expect a reply. Would you expect Coke to tell you their recipe? It's the same principle in play here.

All too true. but some people prefer the other variations/alternatives to Soda, much like people prefer Pepsi to Coke, or Shasta or Sarsi or generic brand. It's still basic cola.

Quote:

And who's to say that even if you bought one, took it apart and studied it that you'd be able to duplicate the results?

But what if you improved on it? It benefited everybody. It's evolution and essentially America in the sense that people profit off of improving something else already out there.

Even if it didn't improve on the sound per say, some may prefer the different "flavor" one persons mod over the others...

But that's the optimistic side of me speaking
tongue.gif

Dec 3, 2007 at 6:30 PM Post #21 of 206
Yeah...my short e-mail convo with Larry really really put me off a long time ago:

Quote:

Okay....thanks I suppose...

On 10/23/06, Headphile, headphone tweaks and modding, woodies, interconnects, Grado, Sennheiser, AKG, Beyer, woody and more... <shop@headphile.com > wrote:
[size=x-small]Hi,[/size]

[size=x-small]Sure, but I don't give DIY advice.[/size]

[size=x-small]Cheers, Larry[/size]
----- Original Message -----
To: headphile.com
Sent: Monday, October 23, 2006 1:43 AM
Subject: Re: A couple quick questions

That's what I figured. Any insight on my first question?

On 10/23/06, Headphile, headphone tweaks and modding, woodies, interconnects, Grado, Sennheiser, AKG, Beyer, woody and more... < shop@headphile.com> wrote:
[size=x-small]Hi,[/size]

[size=x-small]I wouldn't suggest recabling SR80, value wise. [/size]

[size=x-small]Cheers, Larry[/size]
----- Original Message -----
To: info@headphile.com
Sent: Monday, October 23, 2006 12:59 AM
Subject: A couple quick questions

Hi, I have two quick questions. I need to attach a plug to the end of my Grado SR-80s. I've never done this before and I can't seem to get the plug on without leaving excess wire. Any tips? I'm using a Neutrik plug. I soldered it on and it works just fine but I have about 1/2" to 1" of cable still showing. I figure I can put some heatshrink on it...but would rather not.

Also, in your opinion is it worth recabling SR-80s? The recable would cost more than the SR-80s themselves...

Thanks for your help!

--
--
--

Dec 3, 2007 at 6:31 PM Post #22 of 206
He wouldn't give me basic advice about terminating my cable...

Dec 3, 2007 at 6:31 PM Post #23 of 206
^ Whoa...I would have almost rather have gotten no response than a "Sure, but I don't give DIY advice".

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on it being legal reasons though....or not. That's kinda a funky scenario eh?

Dec 3, 2007 at 6:34 PM Post #24 of 206
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ Whoa...I would have almost rather have gotten no response than a "Sure, but I don't give DIY advice".

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on it being legal reasons though....or not. That's kinda a funky scenario eh?

His tone really didn't sound like legal reasons...and I would have preferred no reply at all as well. He could have simply said, "Put heatshrink on it". I don't think that would be a threat to his business model

Dec 3, 2007 at 6:36 PM Post #25 of 206
Quote:

But a talented woodworker with adequate tooling, given pictures and reasonably precise measurements, could duplicate it in a jiffie.

If they're bent on doing that, they could just buy one in the for-sale forum and resell it when they'd made their measurements.

Dec 3, 2007 at 6:37 PM Post #26 of 206
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But a talented woodworker with adequate tooling, given pictures and reasonably precise measurements, could duplicate it in a jiffie.

If they're bent on doing that, they could just buy one in the for-sale forum and resell it when they'd made their measurements.

I doubt it'ld be hard to reverse engineer.

Dec 3, 2007 at 6:41 PM Post #27 of 206
People are going to do whatever benefits them. And there's nothing wrong with that. Larry is going to keep his practices to himself, as it doesn't benefit him to offer free advice. Headfiers are going to inquire about / post his methods or products, as it benefits them. I wouldn't hold anything against Larry for trying to secure his business. And I wouldn't hold anything against someone posting their headphones. You don't expect Bill Gates to give Windows info to Steve Jobs, and you don't get mad at Apple for posting ads highlighting it's flaws. Though you may tire of them
tongue.gif

Dec 3, 2007 at 6:43 PM Post #28 of 206
Sure, but you would expect Bill Gates to tell you how to create an array

Dec 3, 2007 at 6:44 PM Post #29 of 206
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deathwish238 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sure, but you would expect Bill Gates to tell you how to create an array

As if.

Dec 3, 2007 at 6:53 PM Post #30 of 206
As far as I can see, the tooling is neither extensive nor expensive. You just need the woodworking basics and a lathe. Finishing is no trick, either, if you read up on it.

What I do not understand is why people say "proprietary" when they have not take legal steps to protect their work. I do not understand the secrecy, either. Look at open source companies. They, essentially, sell a free product. Service, support and not having to dedicate resources are why people buy.

Similarly, I recently bought an amp that I could have built myself. I bought it because the casing was done for me and I thought it represented good value versus the time I would have had to spend building. Also, the manufacturer was 100% forthcoming about the topology.

I will not buy a product shrouded in secrecy. If you obscure the parts inside or refuse to tell me why your product has value, I am not going to buy it.

If you want to sell something, the consumer should know what is being sold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back