What exactly Headphile does to 770 when it becomes Darth Beyers?
Dec 6, 2007 at 9:55 AM Post #196 of 206
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you are really concerned about your secret getting copied why not go the legal route so you can sue anyone that does.. I just don't get it..
confused.gif

I don't get it either...it's just asking to be cloned like I said earlier. Hell I even have a patent for some crap I came up with it in class...

Dec 6, 2007 at 1:24 PM Post #197 of 206
I think you guys underestimate the expense of lawyers...

Dec 6, 2007 at 9:12 PM Post #198 of 206
Quote:

Originally Posted by LawnGnome /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Plus foam and fabric removed. Heh.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then what is the secret fuss about?
confused.gif

Have people missed the point completely about what people have been posting? It is Larry's right to do business as he sees fit. He doesn't have to tell anybody anything.

cheers
Simon

Dec 6, 2007 at 9:16 PM Post #199 of 206
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deathwish238 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't get it either...it's just asking to be cloned like I said earlier. Hell I even have a patent for some crap I came up with it in class...

A patent is a double edged sword. By taking out a patent you are actually putting the Intellectual Property in the public domain, in a sense, where it can be copied. You have to make sure you then have enough money to take someone to court for a patent infringement. As Skylab said, all of this is VERY expensive to execute.

cheers
Simon

Dec 6, 2007 at 9:19 PM Post #200 of 206
Yes, but the threat of a lawsuit is virtually free.

Dec 6, 2007 at 9:28 PM Post #201 of 206
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, but the threat of a lawsuit is virtually free.

Unless you count the time and expense for filing the patent (several thousand dollars), the loss of value if you don't enforce the patent (even if you dont' know it's being violated), the cost to hav the lawyer write the cease and decist letter, etc.

Dec 6, 2007 at 9:32 PM Post #202 of 206
You don't *have to pay a patent attorney to file your patent - you can do it yourself. And endless numbers of crackpots do.

Dec 6, 2007 at 9:35 PM Post #203 of 206
of course, not paying to have a lawyer do it, and research it, increases significantly the odds your patent will be found invalid.

Dec 6, 2007 at 9:49 PM Post #204 of 206
*shrug* it's probably a moot point anyway. I've dug through a lot of headphone-related patents this year digging up dirt on odd technologies. You'd be amazed by the stuff that AKG and Koss have patents for that they've never, ever used. Larry's mods probably haven't been novel since 1974. Which doesn't make them any less useful.

Dec 7, 2007 at 9:04 AM Post #205 of 206
Yeah the expensive part of a patent is getting a lawyer to make it as encompassing as possible. But still, you save yourself a lot of potential loss

Dec 7, 2007 at 4:15 PM Post #206 of 206
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
of course, not paying to have a lawyer do it, and research it, increases significantly the odds your patent will be found invalid.

I used to work as a patent examiner. If an inventor has something that is patentable and is trying to navigate the process themselves we'll generally put some extra effort to help them.

Also, in my experience, patent agents are just as good if not better then patent lawyers and a hell of a lot cheaper. Also a lot of patent lawyers frankly have no clue what they're trying to patent. The majority do not have tech backgrounds, and it can make for some incredibly frustrating interviews.

In the courts though, all that matters is the claims. A lot of patent examiners don't even bother reading anything except the claims unless something is obviously wrong. It's worth spending some money to get them right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back