What exactly Headphile does to 770 when it becomes Darth Beyers?
Dec 3, 2007 at 4:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 206

QQQ

Headphoneus Supremus
They change the side panels to woody cups, recable them and what else? Some internal changes? Knowledgeable folks, i need your help!

Dec 3, 2007 at 4:47 PM Post #3 of 206
noone's going to tell, others have tried getting this specific knowledge. there was a thread that discussed the "general" changes inside. gotta search for that.

Dec 3, 2007 at 5:06 PM Post #4 of 206
larry hates it when you talk about his methods.

A bit off-putting, not that i was ever in his target market.

Dec 3, 2007 at 5:08 PM Post #5 of 206
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk
The changes larry makes are proprietary. If you like his innovations, you should support him.

I don't know if i like it or not, would like to know
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj
larry hates it when you talk about his methods.

Probably Sennheiser hated "650 uses 580 drivers thread" Still, people like to know
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 3, 2007 at 5:22 PM Post #8 of 206
Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know if i like it or not, would like to know
smily_headphones1.gif

Probably Sennheiser hated "650 uses 580 drivers thread" Still, people like to know
smily_headphones1.gif

Well, they don't. iirc the impedance is different, innit?

Probably use the same diaphragm material and geometry, though.

OTOH if you go to the parts website, sennheiser doesn't try to pretend that there are different drivers for the 580 and the 600.

I make headphones sound better all the time, for no money, and i tell people exactly what i did to them. I understand that larry is engaged in commerce, and I have no problem with that, but i don't get why his special sauce has to be a trade secret.

I mean, usually, secrecy is used as a major barrier to competition. But in this case, the barriers are legion - like the required costs in tooling, the limited size of the market, and the needed reputation in the community. I don't think anyone is likely to pose any sort of real competition.

Even other headphone-obsessed woodworkers like our own mr. tice don't seem interested in usurping his dt770-modding supremacy.

Dec 3, 2007 at 5:26 PM Post #9 of 206
The nominal impedence is the same (300 Ohm) Howver the driver matching between the 580 and 600 is different (the 600 has tighter tolerances). that said, if you're truly curious to know, either buy a pair for yourself (there are a few floating on the FS forums) or see if someone will crack theirs open.

Dec 3, 2007 at 5:27 PM Post #10 of 206
But there are other vendors who have decided to directly compete with Mr. Dale's products, specifically by woodying grados for profit. He's a small business, worked hard to define a niche and make a decidedly mediocre product something significantly more. The time was in the experimentation, figuring out what worked and didn't. If people recreate his work, he loses out on that. It's flat out rude to try and duplicate what he's doing and undercut his market.

Dec 3, 2007 at 5:46 PM Post #11 of 206
Quote:

Originally Posted by PFKMan23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The nominal impedence is the same (300 Ohm) Howver the driver matching between the 580 and 600 is different (the 600 has tighter tolerances). that said, if you're truly curious to know, either buy a pair for yourself (there are a few floating on the FS forums) or see if someone will crack theirs open.

Driver matching seems silly when peoples ears are probably mismatched worse than a hd580 is already. Tighter tolerance in driver matching achieves nothing at all.

I'm not curious, though, I'm more . . . amused.

Beyerdynamic makes the same dt990 from 1985 to 2003, and then when they decide to put a different grille on it, they still call it a dt990.

But sennheiser? A new grille is a new revolution in sound!

I'm excited for this new grille they have coming out next year, too!

Dec 3, 2007 at 5:50 PM Post #13 of 206
ericj,

I agree, but I'm just trying to put that out there. I would assume there are other differences as well.

Dec 3, 2007 at 5:51 PM Post #14 of 206
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But there are other vendors who have decided to directly compete with Mr. Dale's products, specifically by woodying grados for profit. He's a small business, worked hard to define a niche and make a decidedly mediocre product something significantly more. The time was in the experimentation, figuring out what worked and didn't. If people recreate his work, he loses out on that. It's flat out rude to try and duplicate what he's doing and undercut his market.

So basically what Larry's saying is that he'd like for potential competitors to buy at least one item from him before they copy it?

Dec 3, 2007 at 5:57 PM Post #15 of 206
Duplicating his mod isn't rude. markl modded his D5000's and ended up preferring them to his R10s! Quite an improvement for a mod IMO and what did he do with it? Posted it publicly step by step for the community. I'm not saying Larry should do the same thing, but I also don't think it's rude to imitate a mod or question what's going on in there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back