What exactly Headphile does to 770 when it becomes Darth Beyers?
Dec 4, 2007 at 12:04 AM Post #91 of 206
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Competition from people who don't innovate isn't the same thing as competition in general.
Competition from people who bring nothing new to the table discourages innovation which is bad for the consumer, especially given a very limited marketplace.

How are you backing this us? This sounds like something you're just thinking up.

It's actually quite the opposite as said by Ericj

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But if the competition dilutes your product differentation, you have to do something to differentiate your product again.

aka Innovate
cool.gif

Dec 4, 2007 at 12:05 AM Post #92 of 206
Doesn't have to be innovation - it can be pointing out that you make a higher quality product and offer superior service.

But innovation is a perennial favorite.

Dec 4, 2007 at 12:06 AM Post #93 of 206
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Dear Coca-Cola,
Hi, I'm an avid soft-drink hobbyist, I like to make soda in my basement. I would like to make to make some Coca-Cola because I don't like paying your price for it. Please e-mail me the recipe and specific instructions on how to mix it together so I can post it on a soda-making forum for all my friends to see and copy at will.

Yours,
Numbscull"

I think this is the perfect analogy.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 4, 2007 at 12:07 AM Post #94 of 206
Yeah, I was just responding to his statement, I guess that could compare to McDonald's not releasing the nutrition facts in their food for the longest time, or not showing what's under the hood of a car when being bought. But doesn't he mention the cable, and the wood he uses? I would think you could find prices on that. Or does he modify the headphones internally too?

Dec 4, 2007 at 12:09 AM Post #95 of 206
He doesn't have to tell us anything. If someone wants to they can reverse engineer it. It's not like there's some unknown compound being used...

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Doesn't have to be innovation - it can be pointing out that you make a higher quality product and offer superior service.

But innovation is a perennial favorite.

Very true...simply being higher quality and/or better service can sway me to buy one product over another

Dec 4, 2007 at 12:33 AM Post #98 of 206
It isn't that he doesn't tell people how he does it that is the problem.

The problem is he calls people who do similiar mods thieves and such on his site.

He tries to make it sound like he is the first and only person to come up with the woody idea, and that everyone else who does one is ripping him off.

From his site, it appears he has a very big ego.

He needs some learning. In business, people will make similiar products and compete with you, GET OVER IT.

Dec 4, 2007 at 12:33 AM Post #99 of 206
Larry has every right to keep his tweaks a secret, and he also has the right to not give DIY advice, but refusing to give simple advice regarding how to terminate an SR-80 cable only hurts his business. I doubt Deathwish was pleased with Larry's somewhat condescending answer of "Sure, but I don't give DIY advice". I can't speak for Deathwish, but if I received a reply like that, my opinion of Larry would drop down a notch or two, perhaps enough to even prevent me from supporting his business.

Dec 4, 2007 at 12:40 AM Post #100 of 206
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
None o fthese are practical for a 1 man operation the size of headphile.

yeah, too bad for him.. he just have to work very hard..

Larry can pretty much say anything he wants in his site..

Dec 4, 2007 at 12:44 AM Post #101 of 206
Quote:

Originally Posted by LawnGnome /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The problem is he calls people who do similiar mods thieves and such on his site.

He tries to make it sound like he is the first and only person to come up with the woody idea, and that everyone else who does one is ripping him off.

He needs some learning. In business, people will make similiar products and compete with you, GET OVER IT.

I somewhat agree with this. Woodies are nothing new and infact i would woody a DT770 myself if i had the tools, time and patience not because I'm cheap but because it would be fun, i could experiment and tweak it to sound exactly how I want to to be.

Dec 4, 2007 at 12:46 AM Post #102 of 206
Quote:

Originally Posted by LawnGnome /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yeah I guess Grado copied him too seeing how their top of the line headphones are woodies.

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlineng /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Larry has every right to keep his tweaks a secret, and he also has the right to not give DIY advice, but refusing to give simple advice regarding how to terminate an SR-80 cable only hurts his business. I doubt Deathwish was pleased with Larry's somewhat condescending answer of "Sure, but I don't give DIY advice". I can't speak for Deathwish, but if I received a reply like that, my opinion of Larry would drop down a notch or two, perhaps enough to even prevent me from supporting his business.

It definitely did. Had he simply said "I don't give DIY advice." I wouldn't have cared nearly as much...

Dec 4, 2007 at 12:51 AM Post #103 of 206
Quote:

Originally Posted by cantsleep /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah, too bad for him.. he just have to work very hard..

Larry can pretty much say anything he wants in his site..

In contrast, its something I've come to accept, but virtually anytime I start a thread about a specific manufacturer on Headfi (positive or negative) I have gotten some sort of PM from the manufacturer themselves, basically asking me if I know what I am talking about. I have politely answered back, but its a bit of an odd practice if you ask me. And the threads have never been about how they make it, etc. Just user's opinions. Now I just try not to start threads
tongue.gif

Dec 4, 2007 at 12:54 AM Post #104 of 206
Quote:

Originally Posted by carlineng /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yeah.. Nice way to give back to the community that gives him most of his business. He lost out when he wouldn't balance my SA5000.. (to be fair, headroom wouldn't do it either) I still have no clue why someone would hurt their own business by only recabling certain headphones. & a max length of 6FT? I don't understand why he limits the length?

Dec 4, 2007 at 1:57 AM Post #105 of 206
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think alot of people are missing the point. They're not wanting a clone per say (although, inadvertently, one may come of it), people want to know what's getting done for their money.

And again, there are examples so numerous I don't have to bring them up of products that you don't need intimate knowledge of to just enjoy. If you don't feel like you're getting enough value for your dollar based on what you know about the product it's your choice not to buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back