What exactly Headphile does to 770 when it becomes Darth Beyers?
Dec 4, 2007 at 1:21 PM Post #121 of 206
I innovate, and would hope that others will to... As someone said, there's plenty of other headphones to mod, so get with it with your own ideas, not lifting mine. My art is like my kids, and noboby likes their kids fooled with. I'm proud of my kids too, whether that's ego or not, I'm not the one to say. I do make it clear that I don't appreciate cloning, something that should be obvious to the ethical but even good peeps were apparently not thinking before acting. I haven't had PM's for approx 2 years, so I just decided to post on my website, a reminder of sorts.

There's no real secret space-age ingrediant in these, but rather time on figuring what works and what doesn't. There's no logical reason for me to say what it is, how I do it and how you can do it... so I don't and won't.

I've been doing this five years now, and I can't really think of anybody else that builds that's even still around. I think they probably went a little insane, lost all it's fun, so they bailed. With the amount of emails we can get, they can drive you nutty if you don't make some rules to go by. I've made some guidelines that help me not to go insane. Not everyone will agree with them, that's fine.

I certainly don't have time to post much anymore, but I believe was the first single person biz to support head-fi and have ever since. It's a great site, but not one I hope will ever support revealing proprietary info or pics.

Dec 4, 2007 at 3:30 PM Post #122 of 206
Well said, Larry.

Dec 4, 2007 at 4:00 PM Post #123 of 206
Okay, I'm fine with the decision to not recable the headphones. It's an odd decision IMO, but it's yours to make. From the looks of the headphone though, it looked as if the cable, headband and foam could be replaced and it would be like new. It's ultimately the owner's decision and since it seems there was no degradation in SQ, I agree with him in his decision to replace individual components for the much lower cost.

Also, I hesitate to call the inside of Darths proprietary information. You don't really own the modifications. Sorry.

In any event, I won't be buying Darths. Lack of customer support, lack of information involving the modifications made, and the fact that I probably wouldn't enjoy the sound in general (seems like it would be too bassy) will keep me from purchasing a pair of these.

-----I do like the looks of Darths though
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 4, 2007 at 4:08 PM Post #124 of 206
Yup, well said Larry. I can imagine all the crap/redundant emails you'd get if you didn't set firm rules from the beginning.
Its as simple as reading through the FAQ before asking questions which have been answered in the FAQ section.
cool.gif

And to those who don't like Darths for whatever reasons, be it the sound sig or the "secrets" that Larry chooses not to disclose, then fine, just go buy a headphone that makes you happy. NO one is forcing you to buy a Darth. Simple no?
rolleyes.gif

I just don't see what all the big fuss is about?
confused.gif

Go enjoy the music!
biggrin.gif

Dec 5, 2007 at 12:25 AM Post #125 of 206
Rules are great, but having a little tact can go a long way in the world of customer service.

Dec 5, 2007 at 12:31 AM Post #127 of 206
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, what'd bill gates say when you emailed him for instructions on how to create a raid array?

"Please use our new and improved MS Live Search to find what you need!"

Dec 5, 2007 at 12:37 AM Post #128 of 206
Quote:

So, what'd bill gates say when you emailed him for instructions on how to create a raid array?

"Sorry, not supported under Vista 64 bit"
tongue.gif

Dec 5, 2007 at 1:06 AM Post #129 of 206
I'm surprised my FS ad was brought up against Larry.

I posted about Larry not recabling the cans so that the buyer knows what they're getting themselves into. Specifically that having Larry recable them would not be an option. I had no intention of posting a rant about Larry's customer service because it has always been good. He has always replied to my emails with random questions promptly, courteously, and with detail.

Dec 5, 2007 at 1:37 AM Post #130 of 206
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel L /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He has always replied to my emails with random questions promptly, courteously, and with detail.

Yup, same here. Larry has always responded to my emails very quickly and courteously. Whenever he disagrees or can not fulfill a request of mine, he has been firm but polite in conveying his intentions. No complaints here.
cool.gif

Dec 5, 2007 at 2:14 AM Post #131 of 206
Quote:

Here's an example: someone who spends lots of time innovating, and then sells for just enough money to earn a decent living. Upon getting cloned, decides the market isn't worth being in, and exits the market. Since the innovator is gone, the consumer is harmed. We're not talking about commodities. We're talking about a niche market. Oil, on the other hand, is a commodity. The price is set on a worldwide market, by supply and demand. The more suppliers, the lower the price. The more demand, the higher the price. So the price of oil isnt' set by greedy oil companies, it's set by oil hungry consumers, which is a marketplace that expands every day as more people enter the industrialized world and need energy.

Oil is a horrible example to use. First of all, headphones will never be as in demand as oil. Second of all, the price of oil isn't as high as it is because solely because consumers have a need for it -- it's as high as it is because it's a fossil fuel and will eventually run out. Wood cups for headphones will never run out as trees are a renewable resource.

Dec 5, 2007 at 2:25 AM Post #132 of 206
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oil is a horrible example to use. First of all, headphones will never be as in demand as oil. Second of all, the price of oil isn't as high as it is because solely because consumers have a need for it -- it's as high as it is because it's a fossil fuel and will eventually run out. Wood cups for headphones will never run out as trees are a renewable resource.

I was refuting, not establishing, the oil reference.

And trees may be renewable, but figured hardwoods get harder to find all the time.

Dec 5, 2007 at 2:32 AM Post #133 of 206
Larry, thanks for stopping by. This thread has been most interesting to read through. Your support of the community is much appreciated and obviously integral to the survival of the forums. I can understand that you do not need to give DIY advice or disclose any aspects of the designs of your products. You already give enough details about the product for potential customers to make well informed purchases. Also, I completely agree that it is morally wrong for someone to come and steal your ideas. It isn't right, but these things happens. And when that day comes along where some fellow posts "proprietary info" about your modifications, what do you expect the Head-Fi management to do? I would certainly be disappointed if they should delete the posts (which would mostly likely be the case) unless protection of your intellectual "rights" is part of the sponsorship agreement. I know I am treading on very dangerous ground here, but please understand. No one has the (legal) obligation to respect your wishes unless the designs are patented.

I know I am not alone in thinking that competition is a good thing. Without outside competition, the consumer is usually the one to lose out. I'm certainly not saying that you, Larry, make bad products or that you're complacent in any way. Quite the contrary in fact! With competition, it might drive you to make even better products at more competitive prices. Under pressure, you may be able to develop methods to streamline the production of your current works of art. I don't know about you, but I work much more effectively when under pressure. Anyway, I wish you the best of luck.

As for those who want to know exactly how Larry does what he does. Buy a pair of his headphones and take them apart. There's nothing stopping you from doing it. Just do the right thing and don't post them online. If you feel like taking on Headphile, bring it on. I'm sure it'll really drive the headphone modding market.

Dec 5, 2007 at 3:09 AM Post #134 of 206
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This thread has been most interesting to read through.

Having just wasted the last 15 minutes reading through the various posts, I couldn't disagree more.

On one side of the argument are those who believe that information is fungible, without any particular value and within the right of anyone to take. People in this group tend to believe it to be their legal right to download music in violation of the owner's copyrights, duplicate software that isn't licensed to them, and otherwise use anything they can get their hands on in the digital realm. Those in this group tend to be contemptuous of the idea of property rights and the concept of an individual's right to make a profit off his ideas. They criticize Larry for refusing to reveal some aspect of his proprietary knowledge, arguing that he has some responsibility to the head-fi community.

On the other side are those who actually understand that information has value, particularly information that offers its owner a competitive advantage. They understand that Larry runs a business, whose sole beneficiary is (and should be) himself and his kids.

Larry owes us nothing but his time, talent and knowledge, for the acquisition of which we are obliged to pay a price. Should we not be willing to do so, we have no right to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back