What Cables for Audeze LCD-2?
Mar 1, 2014 at 12:47 PM Post #91 of 160
Hi, I'm about to upgrade my Schiit Asgard 2 to a Mjolnir in combination with my Audeze LCD 2.2 this means I need to upgrade my cable as wel. Currently I'm using the stock Audeze cable and a 15 ft Grado extension cable.
For my new set-up I need a balanced cable (4-pin xlr connection) 
I was looking at the Alo cables, but the only one going to 15 ft is the Reference 16 and this would set me back around 1.200 euro's and that's a bit too much right now.
Other option within my price range would be the Alo Greenline with 2 (!) extensions.
My question is if this would be a no go, to add 2 extensions to an Alo Greenline cable?

Thanks !

Mar 1, 2014 at 1:17 PM Post #92 of 160
  Hi, I'm about to upgrade my Schiit Asgard 2 to a Mjolnir in combination with my Audeze LCD 2.2 this means I need to upgrade my cable as wel. Currently I'm using the stock Audeze cable and a 15 ft Grado extension cable.
I was looking at the Alo cables, but the only one going to 15 ft is the Reference 16 and this would set me back around 1.200 euro's and that's a bit too much right now.
Other option within my price range would be the Alo Greenline with 2 (!) extensions.
My question is if this would be a no go, to add 2 extensions to an Alo Greenline cable?

Thanks !

I've very happy with my balanced Moon-Audio Silver Dragon V3.  And they are affordable.  I thought the Blue Dragon sounded a little dull in comparison with my LCD-2 rev 2, even though cables make the smallest differences when compared to the big changes with source and amp.  Still, I prefer the Silver Dragon for my LCD-2 and HE-500, and Black Dragon on my HD800.

I've tried many ALO cables and many are excellent but too expensive for most. I liked the SXC a little better than the Jenna Labs Cryo, but I don't know much about the more recent cables since I switched to Moon-Audio for recent purchases due to the costs.  I still have my old ALO SXC interconnect cables, but I haven't been able to afford new designs from them with 2 kids in college.

Apr 3, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #93 of 160
Today I received my first cable upgrade for my LCD 2.2's
I ordered some Entreq Konstantin 2012 balanced cables from Sweden. They look really nice, now all I have to do is head home and listen to them
biggrin.gif

Nice box

Cool cable

Jun 25, 2014 at 6:52 AM Post #95 of 160
I got my audeze lcd2 rev 2.2 and i only have the stock cable. I was wondering which cable around 200 usd instead of brightenning the sound signature can offer more dark sound and tighten more the bass, if u can send links i will appreciate it

Jul 5, 2014 at 1:50 AM Post #97 of 160
Jul 8, 2014 at 1:39 PM Post #98 of 160

Thanks !

I spent about a year experimenting with various cables for the LCD2/3.

I used OFC, UPC and OCC copper, Silver coated copper and pure OCC silver.

I tried wires from bulk suppliers, then various cables from Cardas, ALO, Moon and many other vendors.

In a nutshell, I found out that price is no guaranty for good results. The key was to compensate for the voicing of the headphones with the right cables. The LCD has a dark, caramel coating sound that is appealing to many but is still a coloration. The bass is a little loose and the soundstage virtually non existent. I found that silver OCC cables has strengths in the very areas where the LCD2/3 were weak. But not all silver cables reached the same performance with the LCD.

I finally selected the Silver Widow from Toxic Cables (England), which outperformed all other cables In addition to being reasonably priced and very well made. Frank uses OCC silver, with rectangular wires (?). There is some gold added and surface treatment that are proprietary. The wires are cryogenically treated. I selected 8 wires and XLR connector with silver pins. With the LCD/Silver Widow pairing (and the right amp) the caramel coating is removed leaving a more transparent sound with a tight and more dynamic bass, a slightly less forward-some call it "in-your-face"--center image, and a sufficiently large sound stage to make orchestral music more enjoyable. The Silver Poison produced a slightly lower performance for less money.

Jul 8, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #99 of 160
anyone tried the black dragon cable for lcd 2

did the toxic cable increase brightness, as i look for a cable that adds more warmth and tightens the bass

Jul 8, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #100 of 160
anyone tried the black dragon cable for lcd 2

did the toxic cable increase brightness, as i look for a cable that adds more warmth and tightens the bass

Yep. The Black Dragon made the LCD sound way too dark for my taste.

No, none of the silver cables I tried ever increased the brightness of the LCD enough to be objectionable for me, least of all the Silver Poison and the Silver Widow.Think of these cables as being transparent in that area. Unless your DAC, amp or headphones are themselves ultra bright, don' t worry about this area.

Jul 8, 2014 at 2:21 PM Post #101 of 160
Yep. The Black Dragon made the LCD sound way too dark for my taste.

No, none of the silver cables I tried ever increased the brightness of the LCD enough to be objectionable for me, least of all the Silver Poison and the Silver Widow.Think of these cables as being transparent in that area. Unless your DAC, amp or headphones are themselves ultra bright, don' t worry about this area.

did the black dragon tighten the bass

my hugo is the dac/amp i use with the lcd and i need to make sure that the mids and highs are not affected at all by the cables u mentioned and which of the u really prefer

do u really feel a difference compared to stock cable

Jul 8, 2014 at 2:30 PM Post #102 of 160
did the black dragon tighten the bass

my hugo is the dac/amp i use with the lcd and i need to make sure that the mids and highs are not affected at all by the cables u mentioned and which of the u really prefer

do u really feel a difference compared to stock cable

The impact of the cable will be smaller that that of the DAC and amp but you will hear it.

The difference is that the impact of the DAC and amp is active. The cable will merely transfer the signals with mostly reactive impact. But this impact is still big enough to hear. Think of cable as another component. With their costs, they might as well be.

Jul 8, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #103 of 160
Using Silver Widow with LCD2, LCD3, and will be using with LCD-X. Has worked nicely with both the 2 and 3. I expect will do likewise with the X as well.

Jul 8, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #104 of 160
maybe i am perceiving the black dragon as a good choice for me as i like to add drakenss and warmth and tighten the bass

i really would like to hear more about which cable can give me what i look for in means of sound signature

Jul 8, 2014 at 8:02 PM Post #105 of 160
maybe i am perceiving the black dragon as a good choice for me as i like to add drakenss and warmth and tighten the bass

i really would like to hear more about which cable can give me what i look for in means of sound signature

With Copper, which is what the Black Dragon is, you are getting a re-Enforcement of the upper bass, which adds weight not tightness to the bass, exactly the opposite direction of what you want.

So far you are the first person who wants more darkness to the LCD sound. May be we are not talking about the same thing because with any more "darkness" and the LCD will not sound any more musical, just less transparent and muddier. But if that is what you want....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back