What beats Sony MDR-1R?
Nov 8, 2012 at 3:01 AM Post #31 of 145
1R seems to have the sound I'm looking for except for the bass is slightly lacking quantity wise. :frowning2: Hard to find something that meets all aspects. Possibly digiZoid ZO could take care of the bass quantity but some headphones respond better to bass boosts than others.

Nov 8, 2012 at 8:41 AM Post #32 of 145
ok, you convinced me to give another pair a chance. 

Hopefully you do so at a store or at least have an no hassle return process since not all headphones are for everyone. More importantly I really do hope it was just something wrong with that first pair.

Nov 8, 2012 at 8:46 AM Post #33 of 145
Quote:
1R seems to have the sound I'm looking for except for the bass is slightly lacking quantity wise. :frowning2: Hard to find something that meets all aspects. Possibly digiZoid ZO could take care of the bass quantity but some headphones respond better to bass boosts than others.

I've heard the 1R's have actually decent bass and can be better with an amp. Today I was messing around with my EQ on my music player and I found that my M50's actually have pretty good bass, but you just can't tell the way the response is set up to be. I'm sure that's also the case for the 1R's.

Nov 8, 2012 at 9:28 AM Post #34 of 145
Having followed RPGWizards posts for good while I do suspect he may correct about the bass of the 1R in regards to himself. Hopefully the bass amp he wants to couple with the 1R will bring the bass up to where he wants.

RPGWizard I can confirm these go low but drop of quickly mainly because I would crank the volume at the lowest bass regions so I could hear/feel it since I struggle a bit hearing at both extremes. The good news with this though is I do think these may respond well to EQ or your amp.

Nov 10, 2012 at 7:47 AM Post #35 of 145
got the new pair of r1 today. definitivly less bass, less soundstage, less resolution, less mids, more sharp highs (oh my got are they sharp) more sweating earcups, more comfort and nicer looks than srh940. in germany they both cost the same but if you throw in only soundquality, the sonys should cost 80 eur less.

Nov 10, 2012 at 2:57 PM Post #37 of 145
Ouch, I was hoping that wouldn't be the case sofastreamer. Sorry you had to buy twice. I am enjoying the heck out of mine but they obviously don't sound the same to all ears. I think it's time for me to do a direct A/B comparison review between the 2 using several songs.

BTW just to confirm we are talking the same headphone, I am talking about the MDR-1R found here http://store.sony.com/p/Sony-Headphones/en/p/MDR1R and I am not talking about the BT or NC models. I ask because you mention R1 when talking about them so just want to be sure.

Nov 10, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #38 of 145
Yes, i have got the plain version.

BTW i enjoy the zx700 a Lot more. They are smoother, have Better Isolation and Show similar details and soundstage.

Nov 14, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #40 of 145
To RPGWizard... bass is definitely lacking and the only thing that could probably get it up (that sounded bad), would be a ZO... (guessing).

BTW, another review popped up:

http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/6044/sony-mdr-1r-over-ear-prestige-headphones-review

Nov 15, 2012 at 11:04 PM Post #41 of 145
I own AT phones you mention - they are comfortable. Sonys (I have mdr1rnc) are equally light and comfortable. I own Beyerdynamic T1 and Sennheisr HD650 and Etymotic ER4P with Bryston, Beyer and Headstage amps.

The mdr-1rnc phones are amazing. Simply plugged into iPhone no amp or dac (even better...less shrill highs with dac). I am very happy with the sonys (noise reduction and built in amp and processing are amazing). They don't deliver the organic complete sound of my $1400 T1 cans driven by a $1,000 amp, but they come close. With amazing frequency extension and awesome stage depth and width. I am picky. I bought a second pair.

Dec 12, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #43 of 145
Quote:
got the new pair of r1 today. definitivly less bass, less soundstage, less resolution, less mids, more sharp highs (oh my got are they sharp) more sweating earcups, more comfort and nicer looks than srh940. in germany they both cost the same but if you throw in only soundquality, the sonys should cost 80 eur less.

Are you talking about the MDR 1R?
confused_face_2.gif
Less bass than SRH940?!

Dec 12, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #44 of 145
+1 on the Beyer DT770s. If you know what "sound stage" is... these will be SUPER hard to beat.

Having just tested them against the $500 Denon AH D600s... the Beyer had better and REALISTIC bass as well as a larger sound stage. It takes a while and many songs but eventually you hit that one song that puts the Beyers above other headphones. The separation of sound is crazy. You will hear your music like you've never heard it before. (Depending on what you're listening with now) While at work I found myself re-starting tracks that I've heard a million times! I could go on...

Ezi

Users who are viewing this thread

Back