What beats Sony MDR-1R?
Jan 28, 2013 at 4:38 AM Post #61 of 145
hey, i am not sure if I read it right, but it seems like some of you  guys found the sony mdr-1r for sub-$299. if so, i would really appreciate it if you could direct me there! :)

Two alternative headphones that I have often heard being compared to the sony mdr-1r are the v-moda crossfade m-100 ($300 on amazon, $310 from vmoda), and the slightly pricier option is sennheiser momentum ($350). I believe the general conseus is that the m-100 is more bassy than the mdr-1r, so if you are looking for more bass at the same price perhaps you should try them out. 60 day return policy direct from v-moda I believe.

Feb 10, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #62 of 145
Just ordered the 1R and sad to see these negative rants here how its inferior in every aspect except the looks and comfort. I'm not sure if I want to spend this much for these now. Maybe it's better to just get some $100 cans or maybe the DT770? I love the 770's sound! Theyre big tho.. And can the 1R really beat the 770s in comfort? I found them so cushy, light etc! What about the other variants of the 1R? Do they produce the same sound and how much is really noise cancelling worth, for everyday use? (BTW every word i type in this textbox has red underscores..)

Feb 10, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #63 of 145
I can easily say that Sony MDR-1R are most comfortable headphone I have ever tried.  And I really like how these sound. Mids are quite forward and bass and treble are nicely extended. Treble is smooth and unoffensive. Haven't heard 770 so can't comment on that.

Feb 10, 2013 at 4:11 PM Post #65 of 145
I can easily say that Sony MDR-1R are most comfortable headphone I have ever tried.  And I really like how these sound. Mids are quite forward and bass and treble are nicely extended. Treble is smooth and unoffensive. Haven't heard 770 so can't comment on that.

x2 on everything said here. They are sweet and detailed while having exceptional comfort and style. If I could afford to keep my pair I would.

Mar 8, 2013 at 10:19 AM Post #66 of 145
x2 on everything said here. They are sweet and detailed while having exceptional comfort and style. If I could afford to keep my pair I would.

These Sony 1r are just excellent cans.
The comfort level is superior to any can I owned.
Their strength is in the mids.
Their sounstage is in just perfect 1st row spott and deep as is wide.
While the m100 is at a 5th row back spot or more.
And my benchmark perfect es700 cans are right at the conductor spot.
The treble is not the best I herd but they have smoothness all over and details level approach es700 and so these are now my best two cans.
The m100 are no dam slouch as well and are lesser detailed juicy sounding cans but have a bloated bass in comparison.
The Sony have an extended but lesser bass wich is a great balance when you don't want bass in the way.
They have good sub bass and actually sound pretty realistic.
I have them on now I got them yesterday.
The soundstage is a sweet spot perfect.
I will most probably keep these & my best es 700 .
You guys are missing out if you don't have both.

Mar 13, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #68 of 145
Quote:
Just out of curiosity, how are the soundstage and sub/bass content on these?  Just ordered them and I'm just curious.

For a closed can, the soundstage is nice and wide. Wider than anything else it gets compared to other than the K550. The bass is definitely colored on these cans, but not enough to consider it a basshead can. It's not as emphasized as it is on the Momentum or M100, although in my opinion, it's definitely a more detailed and higher quality bass than anything else the 1R normally gets compared to.

Mar 13, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #69 of 145
Mar 13, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #70 of 145
For a closed can, the soundstage is nice and wide. Wider than anything else it gets compared to other than the K550. The bass is definitely colored on these cans, but not enough to consider it a basshead can. It's not as emphasized as it is on the Momentum or M100, although in my opinion, it's definitely a more detailed and higher quality bass than anything else the 1R normally gets compared to.

Thanks! I actually like emphasized bass. Not DT770/80 bass but nice punchy bass.

Mar 13, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #71 of 145
Quote:
Thanks! I actually like emphasized bass. Not DT770/80 bass but nice punchy bass.

I think you're going to really like the 1R. I know we're going to want to hear your feedback, but let me just say that in the last week of having them and with about 120 hours burn in on them, I am hearing a difference now vs the first couple hours of listening to them. It's not drastic at all, but just keep that in mind. 

Mar 13, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #72 of 145
I think you're going to really like the 1R. I know we're going to want to hear your feedback, but let me just say that in the last week of having them and with about 120 hours burn in on them, I am hearing a difference now vs the first couple hours of listening to them. It's not drastic at all, but just keep that in mind. 

Oh yeah, that's exactly what I want to hear! Now I'm even more excited.

Mar 13, 2013 at 7:34 PM Post #74 of 145
okay, so now I have tried the M100, Momentum, AKG K550, and MDR-1R very extensively (2wks+ each). I personally thought all the headphones sounded really nice. of course, each one had their own particular sound signature emphasis but after I listened to one particular headphone for 1 whole week, I felt like my ears adjusted to the sound signature. The biggest jump would be from the M100 (super bass emphasis) to the AKG K550 (I felt that they were very neutral & treble-emphasized). However, I really loved both the AKG K550 and M100, so I guess I am not very picky with my sound signatures (I appreciate everything as long as it is well-done: flat, v-shaped, and bassy).

Seriously, the mdr-1r are hands down the most comfortable pair of headphones I've tried by a huge margin for me. I'm in med school, so I study for really long periods of time (4-8hrs+) w/ headphones and from my personal experience comfort goes like this: MDR-1R > AKG K550 > Momentum > M100. The M100 has shallow earcup depth that really bothers me personally. The Momentum are comfortable for on-ears, but I definitely prefer straight over-ears. The AKG K550 is never uncomfortable but they were a bit too big for me, so a bit loose. Also, I felt that the AKG K550's sound signature did actually change if I shifted the headphone position (most noticeable w/ bass). The MDR-1R fit me really snuggly (headband, earpads, and everything!)!!! It was really like I wasn't wearing headphones at all.

Keep in mind comfort is very personal, but if you need a pair of headphones you can just slap on & forget for long marathon listening periods, I really think that the MDR-1Rs are a great starting choice!

In terms of sound quality, I actually really really loved the well-done bass boost of the M100 (seems really textured & detailed bass to me). However, I also really loved AKG K550 for it's very sharp/detailed treble. I also thought that the AKG K550 had really nice bass as there seemed to be great bass extension into the lower frequencies, but the AKG bass is definitely not as emphasized compared to all the other headphones. Momentum didn't really strike me as anything special, but it was really well-balanced w/ a slight bass boost (more bass than the akg, but i thought that the k550 bass extended into lower frequencies or at least it was easier to notice the lower frequency bass on the k550).

mdr-1r seems the most uniquely colored pair to me. i think i might actually prefer the sound signatures of the other headphones, but the mdr-1rs definitely also sound good. they are just different. i think it might be because they are more "mid-centric" and I am more used to v-shaped sound signatures. also, they are the ones I had the least amount of time with so far, but they are definitely also solid choice!!!

I really think that people would benefit from doing a test run between all these headphones!! AKG K550 & Momentum are available from Best Buy with a 15-return policy. MDR-1R from Sony Store or amazon & M100 from amazon/v-moda. I actually also borrowed my friends Beats Studio & Bose QC15 to see if I can tell why other headphones are more recommended by audiophiles. It is really surprising how subtle/obvious some of the differences people say about these headphones are and also surprising how I definitely disagree with a lot of other owners' opinions on the SQ. You really need to try it for yourself to see!!!

Mar 13, 2013 at 8:50 PM Post #75 of 145
okay, so now I have tried the M100, Momentum, AKG K550, and MDR-1R very extensively (2wks+ each). I personally thought all the headphones sounded really nice. of course, each one had their own particular sound signature emphasis but after I listened to one particular headphone for 1 whole week, I felt like my ears adjusted to the sound signature. The biggest jump would be from the M100 (super bass emphasis) to the AKG K550 (I felt that they were very neutral & treble-emphasized). However, I really loved both the AKG K550 and M100, so I guess I am not very picky with my sound signatures (I appreciate everything as long as it is well-done: flat, v-shaped, and bassy).

Seriously, the mdr-1r are hands down the most comfortable pair of headphones I've tried by a huge margin for me. I'm in med school, so I study for really long periods of time (4-8hrs+) w/ headphones and from my personal experience comfort goes like this: MDR-1R > AKG K550 > Momentum > M100. The M100 has shallow earcup depth that really bothers me personally. The Momentum are comfortable for on-ears, but I definitely prefer straight over-ears. The AKG K550 is never uncomfortable but they were a bit too big for me, so a bit loose. Also, I felt that the AKG K550's sound signature did actually change if I shifted the headphone position (most noticeable w/ bass). The MDR-1R fit me really snuggly (headband, earpads, and everything!)!!! It was really like I wasn't wearing headphones at all.

Keep in mind comfort is very personal, but if you need a pair of headphones you can just slap on & forget for long marathon listening periods, I really think that the MDR-1Rs are a great starting choice!

In terms of sound quality, I actually really really loved the well-done bass boost of the M100 (seems really textured & detailed bass to me). However, I also really loved AKG K550 for it's very sharp/detailed treble. I also thought that the AKG K550 had really nice bass as there seemed to be great bass extension into the lower frequencies, but the AKG bass is definitely not as emphasized compared to all the other headphones. Momentum didn't really strike me as anything special, but it was really well-balanced w/ a slight bass boost (more bass than the akg, but i thought that the k550 bass extended into lower frequencies or at least it was easier to notice the lower frequency bass on the k550).

mdr-1r seems the most uniquely colored pair to me. i think i might actually prefer the sound signatures of the other headphones, but the mdr-1rs definitely also sound good. they are just different. i think it might be because they are more "mid-centric" and I am more used to v-shaped sound signatures. also, they are the ones I had the least amount of time with so far, but they are definitely also solid choice!!!

I really think that people would benefit from doing a test run between all these headphones!! AKG K550 & Momentum are available from Best Buy with a 15-return policy. MDR-1R from Sony Store or amazon & M100 from amazon/v-moda. I actually also borrowed my friends Beats Studio & Bose QC15 to see if I can tell why other headphones are more recommended by audiophiles. It is really surprising how subtle/obvious some of the differences people say about these headphones are and also surprising how I definitely disagree with a lot of other owners' opinions on the SQ. You really need to try it for yourself to see!!!

Nice impressions! I like emphasized bass but not basshead bass, basically because I tend to become distracted by the bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back