What beats Sony MDR-1R?
Dec 12, 2012 at 3:59 PM Post #46 of 145
Quote:
yes. especially sub bass. it does not extend as low as the shures. explosions in movies sound way better on the shures.

wow!!!
confused_face.gif

Dec 12, 2012 at 4:04 PM Post #47 of 145
not to mention, that the shures have a much better expanded soundstage with exceptional layering and imaging. the sonys sound congested in comparison.

Dec 13, 2012 at 1:27 AM Post #51 of 145
they are no bass monsters for shure. and they are light in upper bass. but they can deliver real subbass. not xb700 like, but quite rumbling with great timbre on it.

Dec 13, 2012 at 1:51 AM Post #52 of 145
Quote:
they are no bass monsters for shure. and they are light in upper bass. but they can deliver real subbass. not xb700 like, but quite rumbling with great timbre on it.

I thought these were midbass heavy?

Seems to be peaked around 100Hz which is in the midbass range. Shure SRH-940 for comparision:

Dec 13, 2012 at 2:38 AM Post #54 of 145
Quote:
thats what i said. sony looses in sub bass rumble.

Well you said earlier they loose bass quantity wise to the Shure SRH940 which wouldn't be the case if you check measurements, they seem to have about equally much subbass but 1R has 5dB or so more midbass boost. Align -20dB line in Shure SRH940 graph to 0dB line with 1R for an accurate comparision. 

From my experience I'd say you're hearing SRH940 as deeper sounding bass response due to lack of midbass boost. If you take away the midbass then it will automaticly sound deeper even if they would both have the same amount subbass because frequency response is all about balance, take away something and you "get more" of everything else. XB500 and XB700 are good examples, both have pretty similarly measuring subbass range but the XB700's bass starts rolling off in the upper-end a bit after 100Hz while on XB500 it goes to like 300Hz. Therefore XB700 sounds like its bass is significantly deeper due to lack of mid/upper bass.

Dec 27, 2012 at 5:28 AM Post #60 of 145
One I can think off that can compete with these are the AIAIAI TMA-1 at 200€ in the EU. But well, these look better, these are NEW, these are not DJ cans, these are SONY...
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back