What are the most emotionally involving/stirring headphones you've ever listened to?
Feb 2, 2007 at 10:02 AM Post #31 of 101
The AKG K-1000 has the ability to melt away and connect you directly to the music. They're amazing.

Although I've only had it a few days, the Grado HP-2 has done nearly the same thing. They just disappear and leave you in the music.

To a lesser extent, the K-501 will drop me off in a jazz club and disappear. When you're listening to quiet pieces, the K-501 can do this almost as well as the K-1000. The Sony MDR-SA5000 has done the same a few times, as well.

The RS-1 always lets you know that you're listening to an RS-1... but it's just so much fun to listen to, it's hard to take it off my head.

Feb 2, 2007 at 11:12 AM Post #33 of 101
haven't had a chance at high end components (no meets in australia i think), but the other day i had a moment with my dac-ah > mc-66ae > DT880s

i had the DT880s previously through a corda head-five and zhaolu which was nice but the above setup did something special

Feb 2, 2007 at 5:11 PM Post #34 of 101
Sennheiser HD4somethings playing Alan Parson Project's "Edgar Allen Poe".

To be honest, that was 1980, and I was a boy then, but nothing ever came close to that musical experience with my longhaired cousin's gear.

Feb 2, 2007 at 5:34 PM Post #35 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The RS-1 always lets you know that you're listening to an RS-1... but it's just so much fun to listen to, it's hard to take it off my head.

No kidding, man! You can never forget you're listening to the RS-1's! They're the Ford Mustangs (muscle car) of headphones! A great ride, but there is no way you can forget what you're listening to.

Feb 2, 2007 at 5:44 PM Post #37 of 101
Hmm, I've been hearing some great things regarding the JVC cans here and there. It's gotten me rather excited about the can even though it's not a "new thing" or something like that.
biggrin.gif

Feb 2, 2007 at 9:49 PM Post #38 of 101
I'd be curious to hear the "everyman's" version of this thread topic...most of the phones mentioned here are in the really-freaking-expensive zone of headphones (grados & alessandros aside). I know that to some extent you get what you pay for, but do any of the vets posting about the Omega II and HE90 feel that this sort of feeling is achievable sub-$1K (better yet, sub-$500)?

I've never spent more than $350 on a pair of headphones, so I'll offer my budget suggestion: the AKG K240Ms. They're like $60 now, but of the dozen or so "mid-range" headphones I've tried, nothing comes close for making armhairs stand on end, particularly for rock of the more symphonic or expansive variety (some post rock, pink floyd, some shoegazy/dreampoppy stuff particularly).

Feb 2, 2007 at 10:45 PM Post #39 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeffreybar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd be curious to hear the "everyman's" version of this thread topic...most of the phones mentioned here are in the really-freaking-expensive zone of headphones (grados & alessandros aside). I know that to some extent you get what you pay for, but do any of the vets posting about the Omega II and HE90 feel that this sort of feeling is achievable sub-$1K (better yet, sub-$500)?

I've never spent more than $350 on a pair of headphones, so I'll offer my budget suggestion: the AKG K240Ms. They're like $60 now, but of the dozen or so "mid-range" headphones I've tried, nothing comes close for making armhairs stand on end, particularly for rock of the more symphonic or expansive variety (some post rock, pink floyd, some shoegazy/dreampoppy stuff particularly).

My everyman version:
Stax 001/003/005
lambda.gif

Feb 2, 2007 at 11:05 PM Post #40 of 101
DARTH BEYERS

Feb 2, 2007 at 11:05 PM Post #41 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeffreybar /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sennheiser HD414 back in 1972 or so.

Feb 3, 2007 at 12:17 AM Post #42 of 101
O2, K-1000, GS-1000, and HE-90

But all of this can be matched by the RS-1 - not technically but by pure musical, who care, BLISS!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back