What are the most emotionally involving/stirring headphones you've ever listened to?
Feb 2, 2007 at 5:50 AM Post #20 of 101
Never heard a L3000 or W5000. (Wish I could.
biggrin.gif
) But I would have to say Omega II in terms of headphones I've heard. It was a spine-chilling experience I must say.

Feb 2, 2007 at 5:52 AM Post #21 of 101
For rock (what I mainly listen to) none of my phones have ever gotten me moving like my SR-325i. For well recorded albums I prefer my K1000 or even ER4s but for sheer PRAT and inability to sit still, definitely my Grados.

Feb 2, 2007 at 5:59 AM Post #22 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by bozebuttons /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HE90 & R10 fill the Bill.

Agreed, and would add the L3000, K1000, Omega II and Qualia 010 to that list of the top dogs that stir emotion, but each of these tends to draw a bit of attention to themselves at times which causes my analytical brain to turn on and off periodically. With the R10 and HE90, it's always about the music and the music alone, which allows me to get swept away more easily.

I also think that the AD2000 and Stax 404 do this same sort of thing on much smaller budgets. The jury is still out on a number of other headphones that I'm still getting used to but I'm really liking the Ultrasone 2500 and 750 and the DT990's in this regard as well.

Edit: I forgot the GS-1000. They're another great listen when you want to melt away in the music because they just step back and get out of the way. They're also extremely light and comfy which helps a lot.

Feb 2, 2007 at 6:49 AM Post #24 of 101
Neils Orpheus system. A completely out of body, orgasmic experience.... The only headphone system I have ever heard that completely lived up to the forum hype.

Feb 2, 2007 at 6:49 AM Post #25 of 101
I've been listening to headphones for years, and no pair of headphones ever performed the trick that the Ultrasone Proline 750's have pulled now several times - that of making me forget I had headphones on entirely!

The first time was early on as an owner of these. I was listening to a shuffled mix from my library while reading some technical data in my livingroom studio and was not really paying much attention to the music or where I was, as I was engrossed, and a piano and chorale piece came on. I was distracted enough that I completely forgot where I was for a second and literally thought for a moment that I was in the room with the piano and chorale group! (Of course, this was from composite memories of several such occasions I'd been present for. The experience was totally 3D and real. It was totally real in a way like only an audio hallucination experience normally could be! I was quite innocently "really there"!!) Naturally, I was startled by the illusion once it became apparent that's what it was, but then I looked up at my monitor speakers to either side of me, thinking, "Wow! Those speakers are more amazing than I thought!" - till it dawned on me that I had the Proline 750 headphones on!! Here I was still convinced that the music was coming from "outside of me" from the room's monitor speakers!

All live recordings and "field" recordings are more "engaging" in this way when I'm wearing these headphones - I feel truly present at the event. This has never happened before to me with any other headphones, and is quite moving as well as quite stunning!

It is the due to the manner in which these deliver the subtle phase information present in the recording to the pinnea, I'm certain, and happens mostly in music where the balance of the instruments has not been altered with panning, or at least I sense that may be the case.

I have never felt I was actually sitting "just to the left" of the conductor at a symphony before, or present at the actual recording event as an audience member participant as truly as this, but I do on several recordings now because of the Proline 750's way of presenting the recordings. It is a very exciting and enthralling experience, to say the least!

Terry
750prolinebx3.png

Feb 2, 2007 at 8:00 AM Post #28 of 101
Agreed about the 650's. At times they can be stunning, but at others pretty unremarkable. I think the problem might be that the sound sig of the phones or my Corda Aria might be a bit dry for my taste. Back on topic, the 650's have given me goosebumps many a time with well recorded classical and acoustic tunes.
580smile.gif

Feb 2, 2007 at 8:38 AM Post #29 of 101
As of now, the K1000.

I love my Stax SR-X but not so much in an emotional context but rather purity of sound for which I haven't found an equal. The K1000 is sweeter sounding and has a wonderful presentation unlike any other. It's an extraordinary headphone with a very impressive sound.

I just did an 8 hour mini marathon with them, something not easily acomplished with my other phones without a significant amount of discomfort. The K1000 is without doubt the most comfortable can I've ever come across by a very large margin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back