What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Nov 26, 2019 at 3:36 AM Post #11,986 of 14,566
Coincidentally as I read this and write a response I’m sitting at The Steamie in Glasgow, my person favorite roaster.

Given what I know of your preferences I’d say the regular would be a better fit, but I also suspect you’ll always think, “what if!” Your go-to in coffee is pour over and you likely travel <30 days per year for these two reasons the regular seems like a better fit. If you were an espressohead I’d say the pro really might be a better option despite the extra size and weight. If your travel was more like 100 days I’d suggest checking out the mini (although beware the small hopper size). Would you regret getting the pro? Never! Would you be more than happy and we’ll served by the regular? Probably *almost as much as the pro.

Nov 26, 2019 at 8:39 AM Post #11,987 of 14,566
Wow so many coffee options out there! Most of my spare change is dedicated to building a diy pass f6 right now. But everyone keeps tempting me with the coffee paraphernalia. All good!

Nov 26, 2019 at 2:11 PM Post #11,988 of 14,566
Update: the zen kettle doesn't actually boil water, you have to fill it from another 'wasser-kocher.' So not getting that.

I bought the pro. should be here tonight or tomorrow. I spent 51 days abroad last summer, tend to spend 3 weeks a year in LA, and sundry weekends in Santa Cruz or elsewhere.

I like the dual voltage kettle. Not great at pouring but good for traveling.

I wonder if I should buy the arrow press. I am generally wary of buying products with plastic in the water path, but so many people whom I respect have spoken highly of it that I might spend the $30 to see if it works for me. Doing so would cancel the need for a goose neck kettle.

Nov 26, 2019 at 2:24 PM Post #11,989 of 14,566
Super auto but it’s not portable

Nov 26, 2019 at 3:56 PM Post #11,990 of 14,566
Update: the zen kettle doesn't actually boil water, you have to fill it from another 'wasser-kocher.' So not getting that.

I bought the pro. should be here tonight or tomorrow. I spent 51 days abroad last summer, tend to spend 3 weeks a year in LA, and sundry weekends in Santa Cruz or elsewhere.

I like the dual voltage kettle. Not great at pouring but good for traveling.

I wonder if I should buy the arrow press. I am generally wary of buying products with plastic in the water path, but so many people whom I respect have spoken highly of it that I might spend the $30 to see if it works for me. Doing so would cancel the need for a goose neck kettle.

Warning: the AeroPress is very fiddly and often feels like you're conducting a science experiment. (For some people, that's a plus, admittedly.)

Nov 26, 2019 at 4:23 PM Post #11,991 of 14,566
Warning: the AeroPress is very fiddly and often feels like you're conducting a science experiment. (For some people, that's a plus, admittedly.)

Difficult to get consistent results with Aeropress, but still the best coffee I’ve ever had. Beats my Moccamaster any day.

Nov 26, 2019 at 8:01 PM Post #11,992 of 14,566
Warning: the AeroPress is very fiddly and often feels like you're conducting a science experiment.\
Difficult to get consistent results with Aeropress, but still the best coffee I’ve ever had.
I get consistent results with Aeropress, and not fiddly at all. Easier, faster, and more consistent than doing pourover. This is the procedure I use:
  1. Set up the filter without coffee grounds. Pour hot water and let it drain through the filter into the cup. This makes the filter stick to the holder, flushes paper taste from the filter, and warms the cup.
  2. Empty water from the cup and load grounds into the Aeropress.
  3. I do the next two steps quickly :
    1. Pour in hot water to the desired level and stir. I aim the stream at the side of the cylinder to promote swirling with the grounds.
    2. Immediately fit the plunger on top but don't press down. The vacuum prevents liquid from draining through the filter, for even brewing. This is an alternative to the Aeropress "inverted method".
  4. Let it sit for 60-90 seconds according to taste and beans, and press down.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2019 at 6:41 PM Post #11,993 of 14,566
Happy Thanks Giving to all of you on this thread. A great group here! And best wishes to Mike and prayers for his healing.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2019 at 7:39 PM Post #11,994 of 14,566
What? We had ours :))

Nov 28, 2019 at 5:15 AM Post #11,995 of 14,566

I love my AeroPress, but do not take it too seriously. Great way of getting good coffee in hotel rooms. If I wanted to be more techincal, scientific, precise etc... I'm sure I could great coffee. But life's too short to take the time to worry :)

Nov 28, 2019 at 5:23 PM Post #11,999 of 14,566
Nov 29, 2019 at 2:39 AM Post #12,000 of 14,566
This morning's french press was fairly promising. Meant to grind for pour over and under (over?) shot into french press territory, but thankfully the situation was recoverable. I'll tighten it up and try again tomorrow.

This year I'm grateful for coffee, and Wagner, and Proust.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back