What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Sep 5, 2018 at 9:05 PM Post #8,986 of 14,565
Turns out my opera-obsessed daughter is familiar with @Baldr's musical extravanganze, Jekyll and Hyde. She says the "Murder, Murder" song (or Murder Medley, as she calls it) is her favorite.

I haven't the courage to tell her mother.

Sep 5, 2018 at 10:53 PM Post #8,987 of 14,565
Not half so long or winding as Schiit Happened. I can't touch that thread, except for the actual chapters. Keeping up raises the blood pressure.

Sam6550a gets it. Was trying to evoke a song in everyone's head. Veering back onto the main causeway, so to speak.

A musical luminary in our generation. RIP, John.

Sep 5, 2018 at 11:18 PM Post #8,988 of 14,565
Take it from an old, happy guy who feels 35 years younger.

Lucky dog!

Somehow I'm skeptical of the nectarine qualities of caffeine, ethanol and sucrose, however palateworthy. I'd like to think it's the music, for all our sake, but I suspect it's more your active lifestyle. Which came first, the energy or the social opportunities? :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2018 at 10:24 AM Post #8,989 of 14,565
I am a blasphemer and Philistine, in that I really don't like maple syrup, or maple flavor in anything actually. Shoot me now.

I think it's only a true requirement if you're Canadian.

I live in Michigan so my MS preferences may be a bit biased.

Was really hoping the Sol would be out this year though.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2018 at 4:12 PM Post #8,990 of 14,565
Saw my first opera of the season last night — Donizetti's Roberto Devereux. The music, though peppy, did not really suit the drama of Elizabeth killing her crush ala Carmen.

Sep 6, 2018 at 4:22 PM Post #8,991 of 14,565
Going to The The, next week. liked the album mind bomb back in the day, well produced album for the era as well.

Sep 8, 2018 at 12:51 PM Post #8,992 of 14,565
@Baldr is this a good thing or an abomination?
IMG_0254.JPG

Sep 9, 2018 at 9:36 AM Post #8,996 of 14,565
Nowadays one of the factors I look for when choosing a BBQ sauce is how little sugar is in it
So this is going to sound really strange:

Since my Afghan deployment I can't eat garlic, onions, or green bell peppers (for some reason the other colors are okay). They trigger a mild but definitely worsening allergic reaction. So when I look at any food or sauce. Carolina BBQ sauce is a good choice for me, especially since my father's side of the family is from there (not far from BravoFoxtrot) and I know how to make it. You would not believe how many things have onion or garlic in them. And I suspect some manufacturers hide them in the "spices" or "natural flavors" generic listings.

But since my entire unit returned with out any casualties I consider us lucky (myself included). Separately I've lost a VMI classmate in Afghanistan (class VP) shortly before I deployed myself and had two friends who got critically sick over there much more recently that had to be evac'd. Parts of the provincial capital where our base was could have been the set for Fallout New Vegas not to mention the rest of the province.

To keep it audiophile I have deployed with my Grados and Etys in the past. I spent part of yesterday listening to the soundtrack from Ken Burn's Vietnam documentary. Loved that music.

Sep 9, 2018 at 11:47 AM Post #8,997 of 14,565
I can't eat garlic, onions, or green bell peppers (for some reason the other colors are okay). They trigger a mild but definitely worsening allergic reaction. So when I look at any food or sauce. Carolina BBQ sauce is a good choice for me, especially since my father's side of the family is from there (not far from BravoFoxtrot) and I know how to make it. You would not believe how many things have onion or garlic in them. And I suspect some manufacturers hide them in the "spices" or "natural flavors" generic listings.
I have the same sensitivity. It really sucks especially since I love garlic. I was never deployed to Afghanistan (although we did "monitor" Soviet activity in their ill-fated Afghan occupation) and for me it began slowly and has gotten worse over these last 20 or 25 years, to the point now where all bell peppers set me off not just the green ones. I'm also becoming sensitive to ginger. Reading labels in grocery stores and asking waiters "what's in that?" has become a normal part of my life. I will say it has turned me into a decent cook, as it's usually easier to make things myself and leave out the offending substances.

Sep 9, 2018 at 4:05 PM Post #8,998 of 14,565
So guys, that sounds like hell to me. No garlic or peppers, or even ginger?
What causes such a condition to afflict otherwise "normal" human beings.
Perhaps our resident MD @Pietro Cozzi Tinin can advise us!

Sep 9, 2018 at 4:17 PM Post #8,999 of 14,565
I don’t care what causes it. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I want the cure cause onions and garlic are delicious

But if my wife trys to feed me a blooming onion I’ll know she is out to get me:scream_cat:

I think the problem is something called fructans. In this case from the allium family

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2018 at 5:19 PM Post #9,000 of 14,565
I don’t care what causes it. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I want the cure cause onions and garlic are delicious

But if my wife trys to feed me a blooming onion I’ll know she is out to get me:scream_cat:

I think the problem is something called fructans. In this case from the allium family

Good luck on the journey then, matey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back