What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Sep 9, 2018 at 5:22 PM Post #9,001 of 14,566
So guys, that sounds like hell to me. No garlic or peppers, or even ginger?
What causes such a condition to afflict otherwise "normal" human beings.
Perhaps our resident MD @Pietro Cozzi Tinin can advise us!
Allergy to Liliaceae family is a known entity. In North America it is thought to be due to cross sensitivity with grass and tree pollin causing sensitization and subsequent increased IgE secretion. This clearly not the whole story as it appears to be more common in the mideast, indicating another sensitizing allergen.

I think checking an eosinophil count and an IgE level would be a reasonable first step.

Edit: Especially for our veterans.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2018 at 5:34 PM Post #9,002 of 14,566
So guys, that sounds like hell to me. No garlic or peppers, or even ginger?
What causes such a condition to afflict otherwise "normal" human beings.
Perhaps our resident MD @Pietro Cozzi Tinin can advise us!
Well, they're not the same family or something.
They're all a good bit of agitating people tend to develop sensitivities for food over time.

Sep 9, 2018 at 6:12 PM Post #9,003 of 14,566
Good luck on the journey then, matey.

I suspect that my intolerance/allergy probably has not a whole lot to do with Afghanistan. I was sick for two months in training until I was diagnosed about 10 days before deploying with Pneumonia (I had told them for 2 weeks or so I had Pneumonia). More than likely I was already inclined to be sensitive and just being seriously sick might have caused my immune system to go a little haywire. I think I might have told this story before. My appologies if so.

Sep 9, 2018 at 6:19 PM Post #9,004 of 14,566
I suspect that my intolerance/allergy probably has not a whole lot to do with Afghanistan. I was sick for two months in training until I was diagnosed about 10 days before deploying with Pneumonia (I had told them for 2 weeks or so I had Pneumonia). More than likely I was already inclined to be sensitive and just being seriously sick might have caused my immune system to go a little haywire. I think I might have told this story before. My appologies if so.

Oh, no - I didn't mean disrespect.
My training just always leads me to look for a root cause...often times, not easily (or ever) found.

Sep 9, 2018 at 6:35 PM Post #9,005 of 14,566
My training just always leads me to look for a root cause...often times, not easily (or ever) found.
And often recall bias.
Brain tumor on right side and recall getting hit in head on right side in baseball as a kids and then go from correlation to causation from recall bias.

Sep 9, 2018 at 6:46 PM Post #9,006 of 14,566

And not without precedent, of course. :frowning2:

vietnam-wall-agent-orange.jpg

Agent Orange Vietnam Wall memorial.

Sep 9, 2018 at 7:32 PM Post #9,007 of 14,566
And not without precedent, of course. :frowning2:

Agent Orange Vietnam Wall memorial.

Wow, that's a heavy memorial.
I wasn't in the military, my training was in private industry...wound up as a SSBB.
We learned to be objective and find resulting causes based on the data & facts.
It seems like in the case of garlic and pepper reaction, it's not a common cause. Makes it difficult.

Sep 9, 2018 at 7:42 PM Post #9,008 of 14,566
Wow, that's a heavy memorial.
I wasn't in the military, my training was in private industry...wound up as a SSBB.
We learned to be objective and find resulting causes based on the data & facts.
It seems like in the case of garlic and pepper reaction, it's not a common cause. Makes it difficult.

Ah, gotcha. Six Sigma; I dealt with that in the General Aviation and avionics industries.

Sep 9, 2018 at 9:55 PM Post #9,010 of 14,566
I had a great time at opera in the park and then biking down jfk drive during the car-free Sunday streets. How much pleasanter our cities would be built small, dense, and without a single car.

Sep 9, 2018 at 10:47 PM Post #9,011 of 14,566
I had a great time at opera in the park and then biking down jfk drive during the car-free Sunday streets. How much pleasanter our cities would be built small, dense, and without a single car.
The city was also very pleasant Saturday afternoon, walked around Hayes Valley waiting for our early dinner reservation, stopped at Davis for an impulse ticket purchase for Rite, then at Books, Inc. for a couple of books, then dinner at August (1) Five on Van Ness (not cheap but delicious nouvelle Northern Indian, if that's a food category), then onto SFJAZZ for Cécile McLorin Salvant, who completely won us over, even my wife who loves instrumental jazz but not so much vocals and standards.

Sep 10, 2018 at 12:45 AM Post #9,012 of 14,566
Oh i was across the street from you at the opera house, drunk-listening to Donizetti. It was exactly the same the second time, but the booze helped. How I love SF.

I may or may not be planning a month in Berlin this June.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back