What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Sep 1, 2018 at 8:54 AM Post #8,941 of 14,565
What would you do with the BWD output? Nothing takes that, IIRC.

Sep 1, 2018 at 10:41 AM Post #8,942 of 14,565
Sep 1, 2018 at 11:47 AM Post #8,943 of 14,565
What would you do with the BWD output? Nothing takes that, IIRC.
Simple, Mike is going to make a BWD card to replace the USB card in the DACs. Therefore a new chassis is unnecessary. (Disclaimer: Simple for me does not necessarily mean simple for Mike)

Sep 1, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #8,944 of 14,565
Mike has talked about BWD being his answer to the I2S interface discussion, but neither will ever likely see genuine commercial application unless there was *real money* behind it.

Sep 1, 2018 at 4:43 PM Post #8,945 of 14,565
I would love Mike to make a spinner that can connect to Yggy via an optional upgrade BWD (Big Wagner Dump?) port added to the back. I can't see it making much difference whether it's proprietary or an open standard. I don't think anybody cares as much as Mike, or would be willing to put in the work necessary to make it work. It seems like it will be a big engineering challenge to make it in stable form. If the implementation is patented, though, it would continue Schiit's legacy of differentiating features that are difficult for competitors to copy.

In a perfect world, it would be possible to punch a hole in the back of Gumby as well.

And Bimby :see_no_evil:

Sep 1, 2018 at 11:36 PM Post #8,947 of 14,565
Not half so long or winding as Schiit Happened. I can't touch that thread, except for the actual chapters. Keeping up raises the blood pressure.

Sep 2, 2018 at 12:02 AM Post #8,948 of 14,565
Sep 2, 2018 at 1:26 AM Post #8,949 of 14,565
I only had two pour overs this morning. I just bought Verve's Miraflores Parainema from Honduras, which is great. The single origins are basically unusable for espresso (the acidity is concentrated 10x), but I'm beginning to fall in love with pour-overs. Instead of just dumping the beans into the hopper, I measure out 25g, grind it, pre-wet the Kalifa filter, pour the grounds into the filter, and then pour just north of 300g of water into the cup, stopping at 50g, with the coffee fully wet, for about 45 seconds to let the coffee bloom. I have to say getting the Acaia was one of the better decisions I've made recently. Yes, $150 is probably too much to spend on a .1g scale, but oh my it's precise.

I'm throwing a brunch on Monday and encouraging people to bring other single origins (from Verve, lol). They have one right now from somewhere in the Asia Pacific region and I'me excited to try it — they specialize in the Latin American and (to a slightly lesser extent) African coffees.

Sep 2, 2018 at 3:22 AM Post #8,951 of 14,565
I would love Mike to make a spinner that can connect to Yggy via an optional upgrade BWD (Big Wagner Dump?) port added to the back. I can't see it making much difference whether it's proprietary or an open standard.
From a business standpoint, it absolutely matters whether an interface is proprietary or open standard.

Sep 2, 2018 at 3:38 AM Post #8,952 of 14,565
... Yes, $150 is probably too much to spend on a .1g scale, but oh my it's precise...

Did it come with a certificate of calibration? No? Then all bets are off.
Australian 5, 10 and 20 cent coins all weigh the same gms/cent so I can check the calibration of my Chinese 0.01g electronic scale all the way up to a max of 200g and it cost me less than $6 :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
all you need if you are just weighing 25g of beans

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2018 at 4:01 AM Post #8,953 of 14,565
Yes, $150 is probably too much to spend on a .1g scale, but oh my it's precise.
It is for something you don't need for espresso.
There's not one barista in the world who measures his/her coffee on a scale.
And still they get it right.

Sep 2, 2018 at 7:47 AM Post #8,954 of 14,565
From a business standpoint, it absolutely matters whether an interface is proprietary or open standard.

I agree, I think that there is no reason why Schiiit couldn't allow the interface to be open standard. After all they are likely to do it better and would have the distinction of inventing it. The audiophile community needs another proprietary interface or protocol like it needs a hole in the head (phones?). Schiit is against MQA and DSD for good reasons and would not want to be hypocritical. And I don't think they would even release something unless it was clearly better than what is out there. If they worked their name into the protocol or interface (think RCA or TOSLINK) say something like Schiit's High Integrity Transport Protocol aka crap protocol. I enjoy making up "backronyms". (for example Van Halen's For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge is a false backronym, that word was not an acryonym but rather has its origins in old germanic, french, or possibly classical languages).

Sep 2, 2018 at 8:51 AM Post #8,955 of 14,565
It is for something you don't need for espresso.
There's not one barista in the world who measures his/her coffee on a scale.
And still they get it right.

A gram scale is quite useful in states like California where other goods are available by the gram. Better than the Scotch mod, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back