What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Aug 28, 2018 at 2:12 AM Post #8,911 of 14,564
Got to tell you this Mike: yesterday it was our wedding anniversary and as a surprise my wife and two kids came home with 3 gold fish. And now it comes, one of them is named Sol :L3000: , see it as a sign to launch your turning platter! For completeness the others are called Lemon and Small Balls...don’t ask me why :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2018 at 2:25 PM Post #8,912 of 14,564
Sunday's concert performance of T&I at the Herbst theater was pretty solid. The Tristan (Roy Cornelius Smith, who is a very nice man, I met him afterward) was probably the best of the bunch, with Marke (Philip Skinner). The upper end was a little strained but the middle register was glorious and potent. In my sunshine versus gravel oversimplification of Wagner tenors, he was surely closer to gravel, but rich and luxurious despite that — the third act especially. The Isolde (Juyeon Song) was obviously not a Wagner soprano, but the smaller venue (928 seats) suited her voice — perhaps a powerful spinto or a Jugendlich dramatischer Sopran. My big takeaway from the three opera houses in Berlin is that the American preference for yuuuuuge-ness in all things is especially problematic in opera houses. It takes an extremely uncommon and powerful voice to fill the 3,800-seat Metropolitan Opera, 3,563-seat Lyric Opera of Chicago, 3,126-seat (plus 200 standing) War Memorial Opera House or 3,156-seat Dorothy Chandler. (It also takes a performance calendar that caters to the most common, unadventurous tastes to populate the theater.) A smaller theater is gentler on the voice and more accommodating of mid-size and developing voices. Even though Ms. Song would never be able to sing Isolde at the Met or Lyric, she might reprise it at the Komische Oper or Staatsoper. Her silvery voice does have some difficulty cutting through in its middle register, but the high end is gleaming in its cool power.

Aug 28, 2018 at 4:20 PM Post #8,913 of 14,564
Curious as to what y'all think about the MiniDSP U-DIO8 feeding 4 Mimbys and calling it a surround processor. :wink: That's less than a lot of the processors on the market. If you go straight Modi it's cheaper than anything on the market, or close to it. Kal Robinson @ Stereophile reviewed it into some expensive DACs and liked it.

Shame it's USB. If it were HDMI then it'd be something.

Hope mentioning surround sound here doesn't give Mike hives.

Aug 28, 2018 at 7:33 PM Post #8,914 of 14,564
It’s been a bit of time since I have dropped a post here. Much of that is my distraction with Jeckyll-Hyde the Musical. It is the usual be patient as the cast improves with practice. The first choreograhy rehearsals looked like 35 monkeys *** a football. Happily that has changed, with movements becoming ever more syncopated. The musical director is a genius, so they sound amazing. Now to pull the whole thing together. 4 more weeks until open.

What about Sol? I am probably being too cautious and therefore slow. The deal is that it is now turned over to Tony (Schiitferbrainz) after all of the parts have now been ordered with first articles to make sure that they actually fit together. When Tony was younger he could actually take apart a Playstation 3 apart all the way to 500 or so parts and put them all back together with all parts accounted for. At this time in my life, I was an expert witness for the defense in a lawsuit against Sony, so I had all versions of Playstation 3s which needed to be analyzed.

Oh, the bad. I actually censored this forum as a few comments deviated into the realm of politics and even bordered on the racial. If I may remind all that our common political party is the Audiophiliac Party.

The good – we finally (after a year) got our new microprocessor based, custom built USB module running. This is primarily intended to give us new options in cheap products by opening the field for parts selection of less expensive DACs which require odd setups. Why am I excited? Well, this gives us incredible nerd bragging rights. We are now a direct USB licensee. We now know how to make our own USB part. Over time, this frees us from the burden of being stuck with other companies’ (such as Xmos) USB captive parts. This reduces our cost and increases our versatility.

Work on a spinner continues and looks good for next year. A new companion for the gadget is on the horizon for a more versatile music processor, this one aimed not so much from a classical music perspective, but a more general musical base. Engineering creativity is an odd thing (product ideas). It is not something that springs into existence in a corporate 8-5 schedule. Even a cat will seek out a hiding place (like under a porch) before she gives birth.

Music – I sure hope many more may opine here on what they like or dislike. Also, may I check in on a timely event by paying my respects to Arethra. Her 1998 Grammy “Nessun Dorma” to fill in for Luciano Pavorotti on 15 minutes notice (on you tube), although heterodox, was absolutely stunning.

Sorry to be so scattered but I have to get off to rehearsal.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Aug 28, 2018 at 8:27 PM Post #8,917 of 14,564
Do you think we will see Sol this year?
Work on a spinner continues and looks good for next year.

Now I've always used the term spin in regards to vinyl because I have friends that DJ (and the spin that record), but I could be mistaken and it could be a CD transport.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2018 at 10:37 PM Post #8,918 of 14,564
It’s been a bit of time since I have dropped a post here. Much of that is my distraction with Jeckyll-Hyde the Musical. It is the usual be patient as the cast improves with practice. The first choreograhy rehearsals looked like 35 monkeys *** a football. Happily that has changed, with movements becoming ever more syncopated. The musical director is a genius, so they sound amazing. Now to pull the whole thing together. 4 more weeks until open.

What about Sol? I am probably being too cautious and therefore slow. The deal is that it is now turned over to Tony (Schiitferbrainz) after all of the parts have now been ordered with first articles to make sure that they actually fit together. When Tony was younger he could actually take apart a Playstation 3 apart all the way to 500 or so parts and put them all back together with all parts accounted for. At this time in my life, I was an expert witness for the defense in a lawsuit against Sony, so I had all versions of Playstation 3s which needed to be analyzed.

Oh, the bad. I actually censored this forum as a few comments deviated into the realm of politics and even bordered on the racial. If I may remind all that our common political party is the Audiophiliac Party.

The good – we finally (after a year) got our new microprocessor based, custom built USB module running. This is primarily intended to give us new options in cheap products by opening the field for parts selection of less expensive DACs which require odd setups. Why am I excited? Well, this gives us incredible nerd bragging rights. We are now a direct USB licensee. We now know how to make our own USB part. Over time, this frees us from the burden of being stuck with other companies’ (such as Xmos) USB captive parts. This reduces our cost and increases our versatility.

Work on a spinner continues and looks good for next year. A new companion for the gadget is on the horizon for a more versatile music processor, this one aimed not so much from a classical music perspective, but a more general musical base. Engineering creativity is an odd thing (product ideas). It is not something that springs into existence in a corporate 8-5 schedule. Even a cat will seek out a hiding place (like under a porch) before she gives birth.

Music – I sure hope many more may opine here on what they like or dislike. Also, may I check in on a timely event by paying my respects to Arethra. Her 1998 Grammy “Nessun Dorma” to fill in for Luciano Pavorotti on 15 minutes notice (on you tube), although heterodox, was absolutely stunning.

Sorry to be so scattered but I have to get off to rehearsal.

"35 monkeys" -- You do have a way with words.

So you are now a member of the USB-IF? May gawd have mercy on your soul. :)

Aug 28, 2018 at 11:44 PM Post #8,919 of 14,564

I have listened to a few comparisons of musicians playing identical pieces but tuned to 432 and 440. 440 is like fingernails on a chalkboard in comparison to 432.
Hoping on your gadget, and companion thingy.
A spinner with AES3 out for Yggy is an instant buy. :)

Congrats on the USB victory.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2018 at 11:59 PM Post #8,921 of 14,564
So is that What you Been Doing or Wicked Bitch Down :thinking:

WBD World Biodiversity Database (project database)
WBD Watershed Boundary Dataset (various locations)
WBD Will Be Done
WBD Wisconsin Business Development (est. 1982)
WBD Writing by Design
WBD Wideband Data
WBD Whole Building Diagnostician
WBD Wide Band Data Instrument (Cluster spacecraft)

The winner- WBD stands for Will Be Done

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2018 at 12:19 AM Post #8,922 of 14,564
What @bosiemoncrieff Drinks
Wax Burrito Display
Water, Beef Diet
Walrus Bowel Disruption
Wagner Bacchanal Dance
Whole Beaver Dialysis
Witch Bangs Dad

EDIT: it's only now i remember it's bit word data, not word bit data

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2018 at 12:25 AM Post #8,923 of 14,564
Wax Burrito Display

https://www.fakefoodsandmore.com/fakeburritocutinhalf.aspx

fakeburrito1.JPG

That's a hell of a post for 500 on a audio forum :p

I'll probably get a few deleted though anyway, so I can do it again.:wine_glass:

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2018 at 1:45 AM Post #8,924 of 14,564
Word Bit Data

JJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back