What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Jun 11, 2018 at 10:05 PM Post #8,312 of 14,566
What coffee instrument you like is largely a matter of personal taste. I find that pour overs are the easiest in almost all cases. I recommend 20g of coffee to 10oz of water, at approximately 200 degrees F. Pour slowly, so that you can see the drops falling individually. I recommend blue bottle's classic dripper. It's affordable (as are the filters—relatively), and the OXO electric kettle. I don't currently have a gram scale that I especially want to recommend, but tenths of a gram are preferable to whole grams. You can find a bunch for under $30.

Jun 11, 2018 at 10:13 PM Post #8,313 of 14,566
My electric kettle. This is the second one (same model). Both came from a thrift store. Both cost under $3. lol. :beyersmile:

159048136_-general-electric-teakettle-hot-water-106832-32-ounces-4.jpg

Jun 11, 2018 at 10:21 PM Post #8,314 of 14,566
New avatar!

Like for "the best avatar," quote for "merely ok avatar"

EDIT: Pic is of me listening to Abyss for the first time

2nd EDIT: jk pic is of me listening to every Sennheiser DAC ever, hopefully spraying coffee all over the electronics so no poor soul ever has to listen to it ever again.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2018 at 4:18 AM Post #8,317 of 14,566
Back in the Netherlands I had (still have, but my son took it) a Rancilio Silvia espresso machine and grinder. Not the last word in espresso machines I guess, but very good value for money. Here in the Middle East I fell for the convenience of Nespresso, which is consistent and "good enough", but never the quality I could get from my Rancilio (provided I had the right beans of course).

Jun 12, 2018 at 5:14 AM Post #8,319 of 14,566
I agree. But I am in Saudi Arabia on weekdays for work, only home in the weekend. So I needed something for the other family members that is acceptable and indeed idiot proof. Once I find a job back home I will definitely go for something else. They don't sell Rancilio here in the Middle East so it will be a different brand, but something similar.

Jun 12, 2018 at 6:44 AM Post #8,322 of 14,566
I agree. But I am in Saudi Arabia on weekdays for work, only home in the weekend. So I needed something for the other family members that is acceptable and indeed idiot proof. Once I find a job back home I will definitely go for something else. They don't sell Rancilio here in the Middle East so it will be a different brand, but something similar.
You may want to step up a little bit (Simonelli Oscar for example). Coffee Planet has the best price the last time I checked. BTW, I am using a Musica . :beerchug:

Jun 12, 2018 at 8:29 AM Post #8,323 of 14,566
What coffee instrument you like is largely a matter of personal taste. I find that pour overs are the easiest in almost all cases. I recommend 20g of coffee to 10oz of water, at approximately 200 degrees F. Pour slowly, so that you can see the drops falling individually. I recommend blue bottle's classic dripper. It's affordable (as are the filters—relatively), and the OXO electric kettle. I don't currently have a gram scale that I especially want to recommend, but tenths of a gram are preferable to whole grams. You can find a bunch for under $30.
The Classic Dripper looks like the Chemex coffee brewer I owned in the 1970's. It is still being made.

Jun 12, 2018 at 11:21 AM Post #8,325 of 14,566
Just had my third shot of espresso this morning. The most important thing is to roast your beans only to a "city" roast—that is, just after the conclusion of the first crack. City+ and even full city are okay depending on how bright the beans are naturally, but once the second crack begins your coffee will taste burnt. In English, "light roast" is the only description I trust. "Medium roast" is vaguely threatening, and "dark/french/italian/vienna/spanish" roasts are sewage by different names.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back