What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Jun 12, 2018 at 8:43 PM Post #8,327 of 14,564
Sad. An iconic phono cartridge brand for sure. The V series continues to be a very highly regarded cartridge. It is certainly not the same without Shure in the mix. :frowning2:

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2018 at 9:51 PM Post #8,328 of 14,564
Just had my third shot of espresso this morning. The most important thing is to roast your beans only to a "city" roast—that is, just after the conclusion of the first crack. City+ and even full city are okay depending on how bright the beans are naturally, but once the second crack begins your coffee will taste burnt. In English, "light roast" is the only description I trust. "Medium roast" is vaguely threatening, and "dark/french/italian/vienna/spanish" roasts are sewage by different names.

Ahhhh.... haemorrhoidal coffee to go with haemorrhoidal sounding music........:ksc75smile:

Two things not even the Gadget nor the [REDECTED] could ever hope to fix.....

Jun 13, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #8,330 of 14,564
I think what I dislike about Götterdämmerung is that the plot seems orthogonal to the rest of the Ring cycle. Part of writing G first and the rest of the cycle subsequently is that R W and S have an epic inexorability of cause and effect. Things feel higher than ordinary life, almost ritualistic, because the plot is so tightly constructed. G is the end toward which Wagner was writing, but the drama itself was written with a looseness that doesn't exist in the rest of the cycle. The arrival of Siegfried to the hall of the Gibichungs feels arbitrary. Hagen is vaguely connected to Alberich, though not foretold—Gunther and Gutrune have nothing to do with anything we've seen. The love potion is a construct that Wagner hasn't introduced prior — it feels like he's changing the rules midway. Sondheim tells us you can do anything you like for the first 10 minutes of your musical, but thereafter you must follow the rules you set up. The whole bit about the importance of Gunther increasing the honor of the Gibichung line is new to the viewer, disconnected from anything we've seen so far.

Mime, Nothung, Fafner, the hoard, Erda—Siegfried emerges from information front loaded to us (though the scene with Mime and Wotan drags). Walkure's Volsung drama is the least interesting part of it to me dramatically (though not musically) because it comes at us from nothing other than Wotan's "big idea" (Nothung theme) at the end of Rheingold. Only Rheingold, to me, comes across at the same level dramatically as musically—it's the only opera that is as tightly written as it is composed.

If we had heard about the Gibichungs in the first three operas, it would make it a lot easier to take, and it's the more impermissible because Wagner wrote G first, and had every opportunity to foreshadow and prepare the viewer for the finale to come. As it is, yes, you go from only gods in R to humans controlled largely by gods in W to humans breaking free from gods in S to only humans in G, but the human drama, as I see it, loses steam and becomes a letdown compared to the first three nights. The gods are so irrelevant to the structure of the drama, Siegfried drinking the love potion and betraying Brunnhilde, that the title seems like a gimmick. The drama doesn't live up to the musical pomp.

That said, the staging was effective. The gibichung aesthetic is very grayscale, '60s chic. The chorus was in shape and did a very nice high b flat (?). Hagen was extraordinary—I think he also plays Fasolt. His deep bass was resonant and luxurious. Irene something something continued to be glorious as Brunnhilde. Siegfried needed to push his voice a bit—heldentenors are the rarest of singers, and good ones rarer than hens' teeth.

Saw Rheingold again last night. It might—and I hesitate to say this—be just the slightest bit too much Wagner. Walküre again tonight—unfortunately, I tweaked a muscle in my neck, and I'm in a fair degree of pain. Just what I didn't need as my elbows are on track to recovery. Oh well.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2018 at 5:25 PM Post #8,331 of 14,564
Apologies, this was bad taste. Also there's another discussion (for another place), about enjoying an artist (music/film) and their off-stage antics/beliefs/behaviour.

I have no clear answer here. As some of the most famous artists had repulsive behaviour/beliefs.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2018 at 3:35 AM Post #8,334 of 14,564
On a second viewing, I realize just how much of a hugger Zambello's Brünnhilde is. She hugs Siegmund before he goes off to battle. She hugs Sieglinde at the end of 3.1. She hugs Wotan during the farewell. The last one makes sense, and the second one is justifiable, but the austere Valkyrie has no business hugging heroes whatsoever.

Also breaking Nothung was very gimmicky. Some of Hunding's men took Siegmund behind a piling, switched the swords, and when he came out, the sword fell apart as soon as he put it above his head. Womp womp.

Jun 14, 2018 at 6:20 AM Post #8,335 of 14,564
Jun 14, 2018 at 10:45 AM Post #8,336 of 14,564
Honest Question - does Wagner let his prejudice/racism show through in his works? I've listened to a few minutes of the ring cycle on Spotify by learning about it through this thread.

I don't want to explore further if the disease of intolerance shows through. But if it's clean of his moral failings then I'm ok with listening to the artistry, knowing full well that the art someone puts out is in no way an endorsement of who they might have been publicly or privately. People are complicated and it's better for all if we can stop equating fame with reason for idolization.

Grew up a fan of the movies and TV of Mel Gibson, Tom Cruise, Bill Cosby, etc. I still enjoy watching the programs these imperfect people have put out over the years. The list goes on, amongst all realms. Albert Einsteins recently released diaries show he privately struggled with the very disease he publicly bemoaned.

Anyway, enjoy hearing about the classical music on this thread, my mimby/magni plays it beautifully.

I had to laugh the other day. Hair bands from the 80's sound the same whether or not I'm listening to them through my mimby or a D/S DAC. There is so little there bit wise, the multibit has nothing else to bring to the surface. Sounds the same in my car via Bluetooth, or at my desk with Sennheisers.

Edit - I should mention, please feel free to message me privately regarding Wagners works. I don't want this question to cause more tension amongst thread participants.

Be good to one another.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2018 at 10:52 AM Post #8,337 of 14,564
4F367993-B3A9-4FAA-AFEB-0A62A2D79B95.jpeg ...and of course, the Bunny of Seville. Can’t get that out of your head now, eh?
Welcome to my shop.
Let me cut your mop.

Jun 14, 2018 at 10:52 AM Post #8,338 of 14,564
Honest Question - does Wagner let his prejudice/racism show through in his works? I've listened to a few minutes of the ring cycle on Spotify by learning about it through this thread.
His music is beautiful.
That's what makes it sad.

Jun 14, 2018 at 11:16 AM Post #8,339 of 14,564
People have argued that Mime (from Siegfried) and Klingsor (from Parsifal) are anti-semitic caricatures. It might be possible to make such an argument for Beckmesser. I am not, however, persuaded. I find much to criticize in Wagner (as with any art I love enough to give that degree of thought and attention to), but he gets deeper into the human spirit than any other operatic composer I'm aware of, at least until the twentieth century (Die Gezeichneten was a beautiful and somewhat terrifying experience). If there is a problem with the ring, it's that Wagner is so even-handed about giving everybody moral failings that one is not perceptibly drawn into a protagonist's "team," finding oneself rooting for one group rather than another. Instead, one watches the drama unfold with a degree of removal.

Anyway, Wagner is an artist far superior to someone like Joseph Conrad, whose racism is plain and incontrovertible. He had deep prejudices in his own life, but his art is very much worth your time.

Jun 14, 2018 at 11:33 AM Post #8,340 of 14,564
Looney Tunes, where I learned everything I know about classical music and opera.

Where do the young ones learn about these genres now...

:)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back