What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Jun 14, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #8,341 of 14,566
Anyway, enjoy hearing about the classical music on this thread, my mimby/magni plays it beautifully.

I had to laugh the other day. Hair bands from the 80's sound the same whether or not I'm listening to them through my mimby or a D/S DAC. There is so little there bit wise, the multibit has nothing else to bring to the surface. Sounds the same in my car via Bluetooth, or at my desk with Sennheisers.

I believe that a lot of people don't understand that all musical genres are not served equally well by all DAC technologies. They get so wrapped up in frequency response being "the same" that they miss so much nuance.

I still don't get how my Gumby makes the music sound slower. It's a strange effect.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2018 at 5:02 PM Post #8,343 of 14,566
So I had a thought Tuesday night. What if Wotan had just killed Alberich after he takes the ring from him? He spends the rest of the cycle worrying about Alberich coming for him. Why not just murder him then and there? He could give back the ring to the Rheintochter—thereby breaking the curse—before the giants come back and be able to honestly say he doesn't have any more gold to his name. Assuming they took the gold, the gods would have Valhalla and would be free from any curse.

Am I missing something?

Jun 14, 2018 at 5:08 PM Post #8,344 of 14,566
Jun 14, 2018 at 6:29 PM Post #8,345 of 14,566
So I had a thought Tuesday night. What if Wotan had just killed Alberich after he takes the ring from him? He spends the rest of the cycle worrying about Alberich coming for him. Why not just murder him then and there? He could give back the ring to the Rheintochter—thereby breaking the curse—before the giants come back and be able to honestly say he doesn't have any more gold to his name. Assuming they took the gold, the gods would have Valhalla and would be free from any curse.

Am I missing something?

Walkure, Siegfried and Gotterdammerung?

Jun 14, 2018 at 10:50 PM Post #8,347 of 14,566
I believe that a lot of people don't understand that all musical genres are not served equally well by all DAC technologies. They get so wrapped up in frequency response being "the same" that they miss so much nuance.

I still don't get how my Gumby makes the music sound slower. It's a strange effect.

Yeah, I listen to many different genres, many are so different its like hearing the songs for the first time, some have a few tweaks I've not heard before, and a few sound the same. Most sound better, none sound worse. I'm pretty happy with that ratio.

Jun 15, 2018 at 10:08 AM Post #8,348 of 14,566

Hmm. I've not experienced this at all, with either Gungnir MB or with Yggdrasil.

Jun 15, 2018 at 10:20 AM Post #8,349 of 14,566
Looney Tunes, where I learned everything I know about classical music and opera.

Where do the young ones learn about these genres now...

:)

They join Head-Fi, come to Mike's thread, and read Bosie's posts. Then perform Wikipedia research to understand the discussion.

Jun 15, 2018 at 10:34 AM Post #8,350 of 14,566
They join Head-Fi, come to Mike's thread, and read Bosie's posts. Then perform Wikipedia research to understand the discussion.

Wow that's a lot of work. Also not near as entertaining (sorry Bosie). Glad we had Looney Tunes back in the day...

:L3000:

Jun 15, 2018 at 10:47 AM Post #8,351 of 14,566

Or, if you'd like to learn about classical music theory without having to listen to actual symphonic long-hair music or, heaven forbid, opera, spin some prog rock.

Jun 15, 2018 at 10:57 AM Post #8,352 of 14,566
We've let @Baldr handle most of the moderating of this thread, but I've asked the moderators to step in this time. Enough with the politics/religion discussion here, guys. It'll be moderated, and access to the thread will be removed for anyone continuing the discussion (a discussion now deleted, but those of you who were in there know what I'm talking about).

Jun 15, 2018 at 11:18 AM Post #8,353 of 14,566
Wow. Based on my e-mail alerts, this went off the rail pretty darn fast. Can't say I didn't see it coming, though.

(Just because a thought pops into ones head does not mean one must post that thought.) :wink:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back