What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Jan 22, 2018 at 3:48 AM Post #6,526 of 14,566
Unlike those opera singers, we've totally lost the plot ages ago, and even the mods can't seem to coax us back on song................:ksc75smile:

Jan 22, 2018 at 7:39 AM Post #6,527 of 14,566
Or...we could just think of it as an intermission until something Schiitty comes along! :L3000:

Jan 22, 2018 at 8:27 AM Post #6,528 of 14,566
There seems to end up being a lot of constipation between Schiits....

:)

Jan 22, 2018 at 10:47 AM Post #6,530 of 14,566
Did The Absolute Sound review the Yggdrasil with the original analog circuit or the analog 2 circuit?

The Absolute Sound review of the Yggy came out 6/5/17 and they would probably have been auditioning the Yggy for review a few months before that. So they likely had the original analog circuit. And considering what a rave review that was the Analog 2 must be very good indeed.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2018 at 5:22 PM Post #6,531 of 14,566
I wonder if Schiit will ask for a follow-up review.

Jan 22, 2018 at 11:40 PM Post #6,532 of 14,566
I just had the pleasure of listening to HE-1 for a solid hour. The people at Sennheiser SF were very accommodating. A few top line impressions, mostly using HD800 as the control group. As always, these reflect my own personal taste, biases, prejudices, mood, what I had for lunch (margherita pizza with tomato sauce from san marzano tomatoes, 00 flour, and mozzarella di buffala), etc., and are open to future emendation.

- Soundstage is not as thrilling as HD800, though it coheres beautifully. Imaging likewise is good, and enfolds you in a plausible organic space, but does not give you the razor edge protractor of HD800.
- The tonal quality itself is like a better Utopia. The electrostatic nature of the diaphragms prevent them from slamming ala th900 (or indeed HD800), but the low extension is far better than HD800 unmodified. It doesn't leap out at you, though it sounds great from the start. You need to pay attention to notice how lovely it is. However, after 100 hours, I can see myself falling very much in love. Still, when I closed my eyes and gave myself over to it, the engagement of Tristan, Brahms, Tosca, Die Walkure—they were all a step above HD800. Not quite so sumptuous as LCD4, but definitely engaging in a way that the stern HD800 is not.
- It tolerates high volumes very well without distorting. I listened to Si pel ciel, Karajan's tre sbirri, Brahms's first piano concerto, and the climax of the Liebesnacht without any audible distortion.
- It does not have much black magic for bad recordings. The old Callas stuff still sounded meh. The studio-stereo stuff, though, was exquisite. I would stick with Yggy, or Dave, or MSB, as your wallet recommends. I don't know why Sennheiser doesn't spring for Eitr. I can't imagine their USB implementation is up to scratch with their dac and amp.
- I think I might have heard an improvement between 320kbps and lossless, though the DAC still seems to be the limiting sphincter. It does fine with good recordings.
- It's fine with piano, but didn't differentiate itself over and above Susvara, K1000, Utopia, SR009, and HD800.
- It was *marvellous* with the Grosse Fugue. I was simply blown away by the realism of the string quartet.
- There's a second out on the back for a second headphone to plug into the amp. $10,000, I believe it was quoted as being, but the associate (excuse me, "ambassador") didn't want me to quote him. Oops.
- The Kleiber Sturbin Wir Um has never sounded so sensual—Brangäne most of all.
- The "crossfade" controls remind me of the old SPL Phonitor. Seem interesting, but I preferred the Kleiber Beety 5 (the only thing I listened to with it) just as it was originally mixed. But WOW does Orpheus make the Vienna Phil sound sumptuous, rich, and LIVE!
- Wunderlich sounded fine singing Adelaide but it wasn't out of this world.

My ultima is still probably the MySphere, or the Baby Orpheus with one of the Mjolnir-Audio creations.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2018 at 11:34 AM Post #6,536 of 14,566
I'll be joining the Yggdrasil owners club in a couple of hours. My Yggy is scheduled to deliver today. I own a Gumby and a Bifrost Multibit, so I am aware of the treat that my ears are in for. Let the burn-in begin.
A couple of years ago I would have said for me to even consider such a purchase was nuts, now....maybe not so nutty after all.

Jan 23, 2018 at 12:35 PM Post #6,537 of 14,566
A couple of years ago I would have said for me to even consider such a purchase was nuts, now....maybe not so nutty after all.
I went from Bifrost -> Bifrost Uber -> Bifrost 4490 and have spent the last 2 years trying to rationalise spending >$2k on a DAC. A few months ago I had a moment of clarity when I temporarily lost my hearing for 2 months after a bad ENT infection and realised that life's too short to keep on delaying a purchase like this. My approach to life, particularly audio gear, has now changed to "I want it yesterday!". Who knows what the future holds for any of us with regards to health etc, so I'm determined to reap maximum enjoyment from my music and hifi in the here and now.

Jan 23, 2018 at 2:25 PM Post #6,539 of 14,566
No, it's burn in AND warm up for a new Yggdrasil. Don't let anyone tell you any different. The length of burn-in is up for debate though.....mine seemed to change and vary for the first couple of hundred hours.

Jan 23, 2018 at 6:04 PM Post #6,540 of 14,566
No, it's burn in AND warm up for a new Yggdrasil. Don't let anyone tell you any different. The length of burn-in is up for debate though.....mine seemed to change and vary for the first couple of hundred hours.
Hi Scott,
So you've acquired an Yggy! Congrats. That doesn't show in your signature line...
Just wondering if you replaced the PS Audio DAC with the Yggy...you know, inquiring minds.
I've heard both DACs, back to back, and for me the Yggy beat the SQ of the PS Audio hands down!
Happy Listening,
RCBinTN

Users who are viewing this thread

Back