1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)

Discussion in 'Mike Moffat (Baldr)' started by baldr, Oct 13, 2015.
First

Back
427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436
438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447
Next

Last
  1. winders
    No, I bought the PS Audio DirectStream and sold my Yggdrasil. I was relating my experience with Yggdrasil when I first bought it new. I think the two DACs are excellent with the DirectStream sounding better overall but Yggdrasil is the better deal. I would not have purchased the DirectStream if I hadn't gotten a killer deal on it (over 50% off on 60 day old DAC with ~100 hours on it). I wanted to explore DSD and MQA a bit too which I could not do with Yggdrasil. I suspect that I won't do much with DSD or MQA, but I wanted the flexibility to experiment.

RCBinTN likes this.
  2. wink
    [​IMG]

3. RCBinTN
    Aah OK - thanks for the info. We listened to two rigs and thought the PS Audio sounded muddy, but it must have been the different amplifiers. The headphones were LCD-4, very resolving.
    The PS Audio certainly has many capabilities - and that's a great deal you got. I've heard only one DSD recording - my AK240 will process DSD - and thought it was slightly better than the same recording in FLAC. Enjoy!

4. bosiemoncrieff
    Once you get beyond a certain price threshold (well below Susvara, and indeed probably below LCD4), I find the argument for trading up to electrostatic headphones becomes overwhelming. At that price, unless you're interested specifically in feature only available with a dynamic-driver headphone (e.g., the MySphere/K1000 soundstage, perhaps the razor-sharp imaging of HD800, which even SR009 and HE-1 do not match, the "fun" th900 or Abyss), I figure you'd do better for SQ to make the hop to very good speakers or e-stats. Yes, a good amp will be a solid 3k (and a great one perhaps double that, though the MJ peeps have a "cheap" good one for $2300), but having SR007, 009, Baby Orpheus, perhaps Ether E, would represent a remarkable array of summit-fi flavors, and decisively outclass the equivalent planar or dynamic options.

The Sonoma Audio curiosity, IMO, was adequate but did not distinguish itself in terms of price or performance.

5. Mijo
    Asgard 2 with is especially awesome with headphones like X2/X1, 579/599, Grados, Audio-Technica M50x/A900X It works fine with Beyer DT-990 and 600/650, but Valhalla 2 and other OTL’s or Woo’s are more appropriate for high impedance matching. It’s a keeper together with Bifrost it makes med sing everyday.

6. SeaWo|f
    ^^This

I never intended to go down that particular rabbit hole, but one of the few times I was able to attend a meet I was able to demo a very nice stats system yggy > BHSE > 007 mki + 009. It is a very impressive combination if you have the opportunity to audition.

7. 45longcolt
    Opera lovers with a taste for something different, head to the Big Easy. According to National Proletariat Radio (NPR) this a.m., the New Orleans Opera is staging a piece all about, and in praise of, Tabasco sauce. Apparently it was written in the 1890s, then lost for decades. And no subtitles needed.

8. RCBinTN
    LOL. It's certain to be a spicy event. :beerchug:

9. belgiangenius
    Mike,

How'd you like to give us some background on what went into the Yggy Analog 2 design?

Comparing them, I can't see much of an obvious difference jumping out at me, although V2 seems to have a few more resistors.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  10. Rtg97229
    Are there any pictures of the Yggy Analog 2 boards yet? I am interested in pictures and measurements.

11. ScottFree
    Not really about Tabasco but this may be appropriate.

12. sam6550a
    Where did you find the V1 vs V2 photos?

13. artur9
    Is this the one?
    http://neworleansopera.org/tabasco/

RCBinTN likes this.
  14. artur9
    Just a thank-you to @Baldr for making a device (Gumby) capable of turning ones&zeros into .

Sharon Isbin is a wonder!

RCBinTN likes this.
  15. wink
    Perhaps, this would seem a better alternative......:ksc75smile:

sublime9 likes this.
First

Back
427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436
438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447
Next

Last