What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Jan 20, 2018 at 9:36 AM Post #6,497 of 14,566
You cheapskates (:wink: I'm one, too) with your plan to use used DAC chips. Just consider.

Some people buy the full price upgrade then Schiit offers a lower priced upgrade using the used chips. Everyone buys the cheap upgrade and then there aren't any more used chips. Repeat. The people paying full price get really pissed!

I say recycle the used chips into a cheap Gumby board. But same problem, right?

Jan 20, 2018 at 9:40 AM Post #6,498 of 14,566
Ok, have all the nay-sayers and doonsday-recyclers had their say? Can we move on now? Like: Anyone have a report post upgrade (and sorry if I missed one, but I skipped all the BS)?

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2018 at 10:12 AM Post #6,499 of 14,566
Tell us what you'd do with the Yggy boards.

Gumby
gungnir-multibit-board-1920.jpg

Yggy
yggy-pcb-1920.jpg

I think it's fairly obvious that the boards would have to be reworked. Didn't think I had to spell out every detail.

I have zero issues being sold a used product and don't feel it is unethical as long as I know it is used up front.

Zu Audio did this with the first version of the Dirty Weekend speaker. You knew up front you were buying a new product with a used component.

Jan 20, 2018 at 10:44 AM Post #6,500 of 14,566
BTW...I think most of us could deal with the speculation if it only lasted for 14 hours

Ok, have all the nay-sayers and doonsday-recycle4rws had their say? Can we move on now? Like: Anyone have a report post upgrade (and sorry if I missed one, but I skipped all the BS)?

It hasn't been 14 hours...oh my bad, I thought I typed DAYS in my earlier post :ksc75smile:

Jan 20, 2018 at 11:17 AM Post #6,501 of 14,566
That would be an idea: Use the harvested DAC's from the YGGY to upgrade the Gumby with better DAC chips. :ksc75smile::ksc75smile:

That's a great idea! I should email Alex and tell him to save the DAC tips from my YGGY (it arrived at the factory yesterday), and they can use them to upgrade my Gungnir. :smile_cat:

Jan 20, 2018 at 2:26 PM Post #6,502 of 14,566
I think it's fairly obvious that the boards would have to be reworked. Didn't think I had to spell out every detail.
Well, the devil is in the details, and it's highly questionable whether it's feasible. One does not simply "rework" a surface mount PCB board. If you look at the photos, Yggy clearly has much more supporting circuitry for its boards than the Gumby, and it will take a lot more than just adapters to plug the boards into a Gumby.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2018 at 2:52 PM Post #6,503 of 14,566
To all of you electrical design engineers who want to play with reworking or reconfiguring circuit boards I say: go for it. As long as you realize that A) your warranty is void with the first turn of a screw, B) you are very likely to fry everything, C) results may or may not be what you expect, and D) as soon as you disassemble anything it is the same as throwing it into the trash, then gather your test equipment and sharpen you soldering pencils and have fun. Just don't expect Schiit (nor any other company) to condone nor assist you.

And hey, after a few years you'll have a bunch of Frankenstein's monster creations that don't really work (and a few that do, woo hoo) and a bucket of blackened parts (magic smoke escapees) cluttering up your garage just like I do. Oh, and thousands of dollars worth of obsolete test equipment ("vintage" Tektronix 465 scope, anyone?) :)

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2018 at 3:03 PM Post #6,504 of 14,566
To all of you electrical design engineers who want to play with reworking or reconfiguring circuit boards I say: go for it. As long as you realize that A) your warranty is void with the first turn of a screw, B) you are very likely to fry everything, C) results may or may not be what you expect, and D) as soon as you disassemble anything it is the same as throwing it into the trash, then gather your test equipment and sharpen you soldering pencils and have fun. Just don't expect Schiit (nor any other company) to condone nor assist you.
Thanks for bringing a sense of logic back into the discussion, @Ableza.
We needed it, big time.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2018 at 4:54 PM Post #6,506 of 14,566

And hey, after a few years you'll have a bunch of Frankenstein's monster creations that don't really work (and a few that do, woo hoo) and a bucket of blackened parts (magic smoke escapees) cluttering up your garage just like I do. Oh, and thousands of dollars worth of obsolete test equipment ("vintage" Tektronix 465 scope, anyone?) :)
465 may be obsolescent, but it is not obsolete. The 465 is a usable piece of test equipment today.

Jan 20, 2018 at 4:56 PM Post #6,508 of 14,566

Um ok, I get the common sense part but thing about obsolete test equipment is mostly off base. I have access to more money worth of test equipment than most audio companies but that does not imply that I could make better use of it than an experienced engineer with an old scope. If people want to modify with their toys of course they should accept the risk.

Jan 20, 2018 at 5:29 PM Post #6,510 of 14,566
I do know that I am doing my damnedest to offer the best over time at the highest value. I/we aren't perfect – but I've been doing the best I can for the last over 40 years. I also respond best to the nicest queries/complaints. It is not that difficult to be cordial. Thanks, everyone.

I bought my Yggy almost a year ago (it feeds a balanced Rag). After reading your post, it just occurred to me that I've been really enjoying listening to CDs since this purchase. I've never been able to say that before. Thank you for opening up my format options to something beyond just vinyl.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back