1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)

Discussion in 'Mike Moffat (Baldr)' started by baldr, Oct 13, 2015.
First

Back
425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434
436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445
Next

Last
  1. Ableza
    Did you miss my smiley face? By the way I bought my 465 when it was a new release. It and my trusty Fluke 8050 and my old HP signal generator are the backbone of my test bench. I do have some new test pieces but the old stuff has been with me since the 70's...

sam6550a and Rtg97229 like this.
  2. Rtg97229
    Yes missed that. Sorry. My bad.

3. jimmers
    Wot, AD5791 and AD5781 ?

4. bosiemoncrieff
    Listening to An die ferne geliebte downloaded from youtube at 95(!) kbps via Eitr and Bimby. It was in a playlist amid lossless other Beethoven lieder. I noticed no change in audio quality among it and the others. I assume the lesson here is that Mike's DACs have serious black magic in terms of extracting every last morsel of sound quality from a file...the amount of Schiit able to be pushed through that narrow, narrow 95 kilobits per second sphincter is just mind blowing.

Suppose, for the sake of argument, a person had a half hour with the Sennheiser HE-1. What would be on your list of classical tracks to hear during those 30 minutes?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    liamo likes this.
  5. artur9

Short classical is kind of tough.

I'm addicted to a few classical tracks.
    Pohjola's Daughter. My copy is LSO with Sir Colin Davis. That's kind of long, though.
    Suite bergamasque, L. 75 performed by Mutter at the Yellow Lounge. This is a desert island album for me since I got it.

Adagio from Concerto de Aranjuez, performed by the Romeros (recommended by @Baldr)
    Berlioz Grande Messe des morts Dies Irae. My copy is LSO0729. Also long.
    Tchaikovsky's Pathetique. (Symphony 6). Any part of that.

6. wink
    I had an hour and a half and I listened to Richard Strauss' Thus Spake Zarathustra conducted by von Karajan, then Bohm and then Bossovsky.
    Strauss' An Alpine Symphony by von Karajan.
    Rimsky Korsakov's Scheherezade and Capriccio Espagnole.

Now, I didn't listen to them all the way through, just the parts I was interested in.
    Also Rebecca Pidgeon singing Spanish Harlem from Chesky's Ultimate Demonstration Disk
    Amongst other bits and pieces.
    I limited my selections to those that I knew I had at home....:L3000:

The takeaway here is that the source was a PC laptop loaded with Flac files and run through a Music Fidelity DAC into the HE-1

When I got home, I played the same files, but as WAV files from my PC into the YGGY - KGSSHV - Stax SR-303 and I liked it better.

I didn't bother going th the KGSSHV Carbon with the SR-007 and SR-009 as there was no point.......:ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile:.

7. bosiemoncrieff
    C870FD6D-BAE7-4A7C-91E5-39E9E92E08D6.jpeg View of city hall during intermission at the symphony. We’re listening to Candide.

I love pink.

RCBinTN, Ableza and Alcophone like this.
  8. wink
    would look good in mid blue........

9. sam6550a
    Sorry, very poor choice of words. Due to the differences of the two DACs, logic says that the component values of the attendant filter networks and the ever present "glue chips' surrounding the converters will differ. I suppose, if you had a lot of time, the right equipment, and very good eyesight you might reverse engineer it and make it work---or not.

Derrick Swart and Ableza like this.
  10. rkw
    I didn't think of it until today, and now it seems so obvious — of course it was for the Women's March. It's a daily game to see the City Hall colors and guess the reason. Apparently you can even arrange to have your choice of colors done (such as for private events).
    http://sfgov.org/cityhall/lighting-schedule

11. jimmers

12. wink
    Logic can be extremely quiet.......:ksc75smile:

13. jimmers
    That's because "Logic says ..." it's being used instead of "my guess would be ..."

14. wink
    "Silence is golden...?"

15. bosiemoncrieff
    Listening to the Tristan fragments from the Vienna Staatsoper with Furtwangler and Max Lorenz in 1941/43. In particular, my favorite part, the Nacht der Liebe.

Anyway.

It seems the liebesnacht was getting to Max, because right as he begins its final phase (track #11 for those of you at home), maybe 43 seconds in, he loses the melody at "ganz" and kind of wanders around for "gegeben." Isolde (one slightly more prepared Anny Konetzni) helps him right the ship so to speak, firmly giving him the gegeben a bar later where it actually occurs, letting him pick up der liebe nur zu leben at 0:50.

Wagnerians—they're just like us.

First

Back
425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434
436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445
Next

Last