What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
May 26, 2017 at 7:44 PM Post #3,456 of 14,566
Guys --------------

We don't have to like each other to be here.

If you do not like/love audio more than having to be right all of the time, then there is no reason to post here, myself more than anyone.

Look for similarities, NOT differences.

Play nice - I want to hear from everyone. Take a moment to realize why you are here.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
May 26, 2017 at 9:41 PM Post #3,457 of 14,566
I think the Gungnir sounded better when I was auditioning it.
Some people hear solid state electronics improving for a while, then taking a big sonic hit, then sounding better than ever. Maybe you're at the nadir of that burn-in.

May 26, 2017 at 11:13 PM Post #3,459 of 14,566
As one who spent considerable time in the Spanish and Portuguese colonies, the Spanish mother country, and to a lesser extent France and Italy, I have a different impression. This impression is also informed by the fact that my Spanish was once to the point where where I had almost forgotten English. My impression is that Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, and Catalan (no accent mark on this keyboard) are spoken with an inherent politeness where it is introductory greetings and small talk are required. One always begins conversations with greetings and, given time, remarks on weather, etc. To just come up to a shopkeeper and ask how much, say, bananas are (as North Americans routinely do) is coarse and boorish in those countries. Perhaps those impressions are dated. I hope not.
As someone born & raised in Portugal but who has lived longer in the UK and USA, I agree that there's something to this, but it does not feel as marked now as when I was growing up. Still, it would be unthinkable to address a shopkeeper or a waiter without starting with a "Bom dia/boa tarde/boa noite."

May 26, 2017 at 11:19 PM Post #3,460 of 14,566
My wife does not agree. She is from Peru and has friends from Portugal, Spain, and Brazil. She understands most of what is being said in Portuguese.

Look at the first paragraph here:

https://www.reginacoeli.com/blog/the-differences-between-spanish-and-portuguese.html
The written languages, sure. The spoken languages? I'm Portuguese, and I can't keep up with Brasilian dialog at all. When I lectured in Brasil, I was asked to speak in English. When I meet Brasilian friends and colleagues, we always speak English after initial greetings. I was interviewed by a Brasilian business journal last year, out difficulty in communicating was hilarious.

May 27, 2017 at 12:13 AM Post #3,461 of 14,566
Sure, change your premise in the face of disagreement! You said this:

"the language [Portuguese] does not resemble Spanish that much"

Now you equate "resemble" with being able to read, write, and speak.

Spanish and Portuguese have a very close relationship and do closely resemble each other. They are from the West Iberian branch of the Romance languages.

I'm from the northwest of Spain, Galicia. We have a different language that is officially recognized as such. It's a blend between Spanish and Portuguese, so we have a much better understanding of Portuguese than the rest of Spain.

Spanish isn't closer to Portuguese than it is to Italian though.

Last edited:
May 27, 2017 at 12:30 AM Post #3,462 of 14,566
I'm out. This thread has become useless. I actually come here to hear what Baldr has to say. The signal to noise ratio is terrible. Based on the posts, you would think it was Pietro Cozzi Tinin's blog....

May 27, 2017 at 1:25 AM Post #3,464 of 14,566
Five desert island recordings, just shooting from the hip:

DJ Shadow, "Endtroducing"
Bruckner, Symphony No. 9, Vienna Philharmonic, Carlo Maria Giulini
Stravinsky, Le Sacre Du Printemps, Columbia Symphony, Igor Stravinsky conducting
The Clash, "London Calling"
Muddy Waters "At Newport 1960"

May 27, 2017 at 2:41 AM Post #3,465 of 14,566
The written languages, sure. The spoken languages? I'm Portuguese, and I can't keep up with Brasilian dialog at all. When I lectured in Brasil, I was asked to speak in English. When I meet Brasilian friends and colleagues, we always speak English after initial greetings. I was interviewed by a Brasilian business journal last year, out difficulty in communicating was hilarious.

I've heard of this before. While Portuguese is one language that I do not speak, I imagine that much in the difficulty of communication is due to at least one of the parties not slowing down and attempting to be comprehensible to the other.

Native language speakers often do not realize just how quickly they're speaking their language, and it takes considerable time and effort to catch up with listening at the same speeds. And I'd bet it's more down to brain "burn-in" than anything, i.e. getting used to processing information at those speeds. If you also have some cultural tick whereas say Brazilians feel the need to have a superior language, or maybe less provocatively, to differentiate themselves culturally or linguistically all the more from mainland Portugal (such ticks could just as well be the other way around, say Portuguese "imperialistic" ticks), then it is entirely possible that they would subconsciously avoid being more intelligible to the other party. As long as grammatical constructs are identical and vocabulary is principally shared (i.e. things are largely intelligible in written form), the rest is a matter of enunciation... And that's where the human's will kicks in, or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back