What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
May 26, 2017 at 10:59 AM Post #3,422 of 14,566
wur.jpg

May 26, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #3,423 of 14,566
Is there a good CD transport that can hold 200 or 500 CDs that also has AES/EBU out?

IMO, "good CD transport" and "holds 200 or 500 CDs" are oxymorons. They do not go together. If you want easy access to a large library, I suggest a good single disc transport to burn those CDs to a music server.

Last edited:
May 26, 2017 at 11:49 AM Post #3,425 of 14,566
My impression is that Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, and Catalan (no accent mark on this keyboard) are spoken with an inherent politeness where it is introductory greetings and small talk are required. One always begins conversations with greetings and, given time, remarks on weather, etc. To just come up to a shopkeeper and ask how much, say, bananas are (as North Americans routinely do) is coarse and boorish in those countries. Perhaps those impressions are dated. I hope not.

There's something to be said for maintaining polite and friendly social interactions and communication standards. In the South we've always prided ourselves for engaging in personal information exchange before we finally get down to the task at hand. But with the ongoing homogenization of the country's cultural regions, that observance is being lost to some extent. We are as a nation becoming rude(r), probably because of urban population stress and impersonal business tactics, including programmed interfaces. It's discouraging when a friendly greeting to a stranger is just met with a blank stare, maybe some form of learned defense mechanism or psychological domination in the random social encounter. And as one of the older generation, I can't help but resent it a little, myself. Is New York still the worst of the lot for social exchanges between strangers? That's probably being assimilated throughout the country as defensive mechanisms as well.

To paraphrase Blanche DuBois, "I can no longer depend on the kindness of a stranger."

May 26, 2017 at 12:39 PM Post #3,426 of 14,566
May 26, 2017 at 12:50 PM Post #3,427 of 14,566
My wife does not agree. She is from Peru and has friends from Portugal, Spain, and Brazil. She understands most of what is being said in Portuguese.

Look at the first paragraph here:

https://www.reginacoeli.com/blog/the-differences-between-spanish-and-portuguese.html
Ah.. winders...
She does not have to agree.
As an Italian I understood Spanish and Portugese very well before I learned the languages for real.
Being proficient, fluent and flawless in reading, writing, speaking and understanding is a whole different matter.

May 26, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #3,430 of 14,566
... And chauvinism was invented by the French, honh, honh, honh. :ksc75smile:

...and practiced by everyone else !! Love the 'honh's'... very realistic !

May 26, 2017 at 2:50 PM Post #3,431 of 14,566
Ah.. winders...
She does not have to agree.
As an Italian I understood Spanish and Portugese very well before I learned the languages for real.
Being proficient, fluent and flawless in reading, writing, speaking and understanding is a whole different matter.

Sure, change your premise in the face of disagreement! You said this:

"the language [Portuguese] does not resemble Spanish that much"

Now you equate "resemble" with being able to read, write, and speak.

Spanish and Portuguese have a very close relationship and do closely resemble each other. They are from the West Iberian branch of the Romance languages.

May 26, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #3,432 of 14,566
Bill Frisell aficionados ... I just bought the Small Town album on 24/96 from HighResAudio... look forward to listening to this later...much later... still downloading...my internet is way too slow for this resolution...sometimes I wish I didn't live in rural France !!

May 26, 2017 at 3:06 PM Post #3,434 of 14,566
May 26, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #3,435 of 14,566

Users who are viewing this thread

Back