What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
May 28, 2017 at 4:22 AM Post #3,481 of 14,566
IMG_1147.PNG
Sitting here listening to the Allman Brothers, At Fillmore East. After that I think maybe Eat a Peach.

Rest in Peace Gregg Allman...

Same here. R.I.P

May 28, 2017 at 6:09 AM Post #3,482 of 14,566
TIL:
The space behind your head is just as important as the space behind your speakers.
Gungnir changed the game in so many ways I am rearranging things a little.
Tweaking the sub is a horror when you listen to as many different genres as I do at as many different volumes as I do.
It has to be redone I`m afraid. I was a little scared that a DAC designed by a nut for classical music would ruin the bass in favor of more highs but this is not true.
Not really sure if it goes lower now or that it has so much more information in it that it sounds lower or a bit of both. But the sub had to dialed down a notch because some stuff sounded almost boomy.
When moving stuff around (speakers a little forward and a little more space between them) I was walking back and forth and noticed my sweetspot moved away from the wall behind my listening spot.
So now I lean forward and stuff opens up even further. Yeay! My wife will be so happy when she sees me schlepping the couch around again.
By the way if you are like me and read the Schiitty reviews of DACs and they only discuss the sound of guitars and violins and you wonder if your EBM/Noise/EDM would still sound good?
Yes it will! (again I cannot comment on anything multibit)

edit:
your oldskool hiphop and rap too btw. Up to the point where they have nothing more to say but bitches/money/28 inch rims I can garantee it sounds good, after that I am unable to comment.

Last edited:
May 28, 2017 at 10:21 AM Post #3,483 of 14,566
Sitting here listening to the Allman Brothers, At Fillmore East. After that I think maybe Eat a Peach.

Rest in Peace Gregg Allman...
I listened to Brother and Sisters and then I'm No Angel...

May 28, 2017 at 10:41 AM Post #3,484 of 14,566
I listened to Brother and Sisters and then I'm No Angel...

I think we are going to need a couple Allman Brothers albums on the island...

May 28, 2017 at 12:27 PM Post #3,485 of 14,566
TIL:
The space behind your head is just as important as the space behind your speakers.
Gungnir changed the game in so many ways I am rearranging things a little.
Tweaking the sub is a horror when you listen to as many different genres as I do at as many different volumes as I do.
It has to be redone I`m afraid. I was a little scared that a DAC designed by a nut for classical music would ruin the bass in favor of more highs but this is not true.
Not really sure if it goes lower now or that it has so much more information in it that it sounds lower or a bit of both. But the sub had to dialed down a notch because some stuff sounded almost boomy.
When moving stuff around (speakers a little forward and a little more space between them) I was walking back and forth and noticed my sweetspot moved away from the wall behind my listening spot.
So now I lean forward and stuff opens up even further. Yeay! My wife will be so happy when she sees me schlepping the couch around again.
By the way if you are like me and read the Schiitty reviews of DACs and they only discuss the sound of guitars and violins and you wonder if your EBM/Noise/EDM would still sound good?
Yes it will! (again I cannot comment on anything multibit)

edit:
your oldskool hiphop and rap too btw. Up to the point where they have nothing more to say but bitches/money/28 inch rims I can garantee it sounds good, after that I am unable to comment.

Ha hah ha . I know the scenario why are the speakers moved away from the wall again. They take up to much space that way. Which is rigth and to be fair we do need that space for dancing. What are you doing with that sofa. Will you put it back after you're done?

Really glad to hear some Gungnir sound impressions from someone with similar taste in music as I. Have yiu tried spinning Jurrassic 5's power in numbers? Thats a hipHop deserted island record.
Did you buy the Gungnir in the eu store?

No one outside Mr. Moffat's team knows precisely what the Gadget does nor how it works, so don't feel bad. Just do what I'm doing and wait to see. As far as point 2, there is absolutely no need for the layman to understand how digital recording and playback works. Only that it does, and that IMO Schiit multibit DACs are the best sounding way I've heard to accomplish playback. Why worry about the "how"? That's for the designers to worry about.

You are as always right Ableza. That knowledge would probably not be of much use to me. I'm just curious. And I find myself to be sort of inventing explanatios when I'm trying to explain why a MB dac is different.

THE ALLMAN BROTHERS BAND - My Brothers Keeper - Syracuse, NYC 1972 is another goodie.

May 28, 2017 at 12:42 PM Post #3,486 of 14,566
Buy 3 more Gumbies? Or 4 Mumbies. Any combination that is a total of 8 channels.
Right, that part is obvious. But without HDMI what would be the input to those? An HDMI to AES breakout box or something?

May 28, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #3,488 of 14,566
Ha hah ha . I know the scenario why are the speakers moved away from the wall again. They take up to much space that way. Which is rigth and to be fair we do need that space for dancing. What are you doing with that sofa. Will you put it back after you're done?

Really glad to hear some Gungnir sound impressions from someone with similar taste in music as I. Have yiu tried spinning Jurrassic 5's power in numbers? Thats a hipHop deserted island record.
Did you buy the Gungnir in the eu store?

You are as always right Ableza. That knowledge would probably not be of much use to me. I'm just curious. And I find myself to be sort of inventing explanatios when I'm trying to explain why a MB dac is different.

THE ALLMAN BROTHERS BAND - My Brothers Keeper - Syracuse, NYC 1972 is another goodie.

Just playing around with what I`ve got to see if I can figure out how to squeeze every last bit of soundstage from it.
And as I have been doing this quite a few times lately the wife is starting to think I`m getting in touch with my inner interior decorator.
So the questions I get are even weirder :)

The setup I heard recently was also slighty awkward in its postioning ( at least 2 meters away from the wall behind it.) and had a huge soundstage.
The lady of the house seemed totally on-board so I bet he didn`t have to awnser so many questions either.

And yeah...I put the sofa back.
For now.

May 29, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #3,491 of 14,566
First post here since the surgery! Still wearing the medieval torture device on my neck. Can't see my feet, dick, or keyboard. Here goes:

The megaburrito filter is unique in the D to A world. It is designed for the reproduction of redbook material above all else. It has a higher bandwidth than any other in the frequency domain, and an ability to optimize time domain cues so that the reproduced music stages in an uncanny way, particularly wih speakers excelling in the time domain. Head-fi threads are filled with anecdotes of startling staging being heard, even around corners, fooling the users or their friends into thinking real people are there. This is what some cannot hear. Why? Dunno. Some people are tone deaf, and some are time domain deaf, or need to upgrade amps/headphones/speakers. I have looked at every other filter and am confident that none can offer the time domain performance that ours does.

I have never listened to Theta DAC's, so I can't compare. Is it similar to the Wadia Digimaster filter, that is also specifically good at the time domain? I used to own a Wadia 830 CD player, and particularly loved that aspect of the sound.

May 29, 2017 at 4:09 PM Post #3,492 of 14,566
Are there any actual news about project Manhattan, do we even know what it is?
I'm a big fan of Mike's designs (had the Yggy for over 18 months now) but can't be bothered to read 230 pages of desert island discs...

Thank you!

May 29, 2017 at 5:38 PM Post #3,493 of 14,566
Are there any actual news about project Manhattan, do we even know what it is?
I'm a big fan of Mike's designs (had the Yggy for over 18 months now) but can't be bothered to read 230 pages of desert island discs...

Thank you!
It has everything to do with loving your banjo. Say you have a nice old banjo and you discover that the neck is broken beyond repair...
After getting a new neck created by a genius banjo doctor. Your regular ol' banjo suddenly sounds much better. The sound is richer and all the notes are clean and you can make perfect harmonies.

Same thing happens to your good ol' Yggdrasil when it's being fed by the Gadget (aka. The Manhatten project). Provided that you stick to western scaled musik with actual notes, preferably played by real instruments. Otherwise the effect will be less significant.

If you love your kit as it is, you will worship it after you get the gadget.

When this didn't help you can always find all posts made by Baldr in his profile.

May 30, 2017 at 1:18 AM Post #3,494 of 14,566
Have we learned why The Gadget isn't going to be built into DACs in the future? Does Mike just really love separate boxes?

May 30, 2017 at 2:16 AM Post #3,495 of 14,566
Have we learned why The Gadget isn't going to be built into DACs in the future?
Why would they want to do that? Only if integrating them together produces better sound.

From a business standpoint, they would have double their DAC lineup to come in Gadget and non-Gadget versions. Or they can build a standalone Gadget box and be done with it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back