What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
May 27, 2017 at 4:24 AM Post #3,467 of 14,566
Some people hear solid state electronics improving for a while, then taking a big sonic hit, then sounding better than ever. Maybe you're at the nadir of that burn-in.
Nah...the guy just had a way better set than I have.
And its not that I am disappointed in any way. I just realise there is way more space in the gungnir than I get out of it at the moment. Even more. So chuffed. Still chuckle like a little girl when I even look at it.

May 27, 2017 at 4:43 AM Post #3,468 of 14,566
I was part of a project with Austrian, Finnish and Irish colleges a few years ago, and even though I consider myself pretty fluent in English, I couldn't understand a word when the Irish were speaking with each other. They were kind enough to talk more slowly for us non-natives though.

May 27, 2017 at 5:34 AM Post #3,469 of 14,566
Five desert island recordings, just shooting from the hip:

DJ Shadow, "Endtroducing"
Bruckner, Symphony No. 9, Vienna Philharmonic, Carlo Maria Giulini
Stravinsky, Le Sacre Du Printemps, Columbia Symphony, Igor Stravinsky conducting
The Clash, "London Calling"
Muddy Waters "At Newport 1960"
Ah...Bruckner...I bet you`ll fit right in with the classical crowd.
I salute you on the DJ Shadow. Nice record.

May 27, 2017 at 8:01 AM Post #3,471 of 14,566
Unlike others, I regard a discussion about language in all its forms very important on a music forum.
Music, by all means, is a form of language.

And probably the best...

May 27, 2017 at 9:58 AM Post #3,472 of 14,566
I wonder if this forum will ever return to what it was intended to be; a place for Mike Moffat to blog, and for discussion about his blog posts?

May 27, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #3,473 of 14,566
I always look forward to reading Mike's posts....

May 27, 2017 at 11:05 AM Post #3,474 of 14,566
I wonder if this forum will ever return to what it was intended to be; a place for Mike Moffat to blog, and for discussion about his blog posts?
It is and we will.
As Mike sort of stated he likes all input as it feeds the brains.
It doesn't have to be very strict to learn from one another.

May 27, 2017 at 5:52 PM Post #3,475 of 14,566

I lack the general knowledge of digital signal processors to gather the little scoops of beans which he occasionally drops. So if you (or anyone else) have a rough idea of what the Gadge might do to the digital signal. I would love to get some background knowledge on the subject.
It's utterly beyond my imagimation to understand how you could design and program a device that changes every note individually.

Or for that matter how the 100 notes which are simultaneously coming from a symphonic orchestra gets translated to a bunch of 0and1 and reconstructed to sound like music.
Yes I'm that basic.

May 27, 2017 at 7:53 PM Post #3,476 of 14,566
I lack the general knowledge of digital signal processors to gather the little scoops of beans which he occasionally drops. So if you (or anyone else) have a rough idea of what the Gadge might do to the digital signal. I would love to get some background knowledge on the subject.
It's utterly beyond my imagimation to understand how you could design and program a device that changes every note individually.

Or for that matter how the 100 notes which are simultaneously coming from a symphonic orchestra gets translated to a bunch of 0and1 and reconstructed to sound like music.
Yes I'm that basic.
No one outside Mr. Moffat's team knows precisely what the Gadget does nor how it works, so don't feel bad. Just do what I'm doing and wait to see. As far as point 2, there is absolutely no need for the layman to understand how digital recording and playback works. Only that it does, and that IMO Schiit multibit DACs are the best sounding way I've heard to accomplish playback. Why worry about the "how"? That's for the designers to worry about.

May 28, 2017 at 12:23 AM Post #3,477 of 14,566
Now having the Gumby, I want @Baldr to make a multi-channel multibit DAC to replace what I have in my AVR.

I know HDMI is out of the question but would there be another way to have an 8 channel DAC?

May 28, 2017 at 2:06 AM Post #3,479 of 14,566
Sitting here listening to the Allman Brothers, At Fillmore East. After that I think maybe Eat a Peach.

Rest in Peace Gregg Allman...

May 28, 2017 at 4:15 AM Post #3,480 of 14,566
Sitting here listening to the Allman Brothers, At Fillmore East. After that I think maybe Eat a Peach.

Rest in Peace Gregg Allman...
Damn.......................Butch Trucks and now skydog's brother in a few months.

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back