What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Feb 4, 2023 at 9:49 PM Post #14,446 of 14,566
Interesting, amusing footnote about @Baldr in stereophile:
Although we recommended Mike Moffat's modified CD player in "Recommended Components" in Vol.10 No.3, California Audio Labs has pointed out that Mike's contract as a design consultant for them precludes him from selling more than six modified players per month. Regretfully, therefore, we must withdraw our recommendation.—
https://www.stereophile.com/content/ohm-walsh-5-loudspeaker-page-2

Feb 12, 2023 at 1:31 PM Post #14,448 of 14,566
Glad to see there is still talk of Wagner, Ring Cycle and CD's here :)
It's the first place I thought of!
Just grabbed the remastered version of Immortal Performances Box set of their Dream Ring Cycle.
= http://immortalperformances.org/documents.php?d=5

Anyone else familiar with it?
Seems like it was a labour-intensive massive undertaking to assemble that thing.
It has been said ( yeah I read it lol ) that even with the many hundreds of source splices only a small handful are slightly perceptible.
How perceptable any of that splicing is on the newest remaster is unknown ( all so confusing ).

It's too late for me to turn back now, but got curious about other impressions as I wait for it to show up.
Rather exciting.
That's what I get when searching for more Kirsten Flagstad...

Hopefully getting closer to this CD Transport release I shall check further back for updates.

Thanks all enjoy this thread a lot.

Nice new themed wall hangings by the way....

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2023 at 1:02 AM Post #14,449 of 14,566
Todays San Francisco adventures
A22682DB-6C65-4FB0-8FEC-F04919D4BC8A.jpeg
CD060AA2-5651-4FB0-AF91-DA3265A10667.jpeg
ADB0DD64-F79A-4596-BB66-A138552C1A2A.jpeg

Mar 28, 2023 at 1:23 PM Post #14,450 of 14,566
I've just rediscovered a conductor I found a decade ago - Teodor Currentzis - the so-called "punk rebel" of classical music, and he's just as exciting as I've always found him. His Beethoven 7 blows the dust off the old master along with several layers of varnish and perhaps the top layer of skin as well. The forceful energy has something in it of Karajan, without the emphasis on polish that took over in the later years or the overall balance. The scherzo is fearsome, and KSE1500 sublime in its rendering thereof.

Mar 28, 2023 at 1:41 PM Post #14,451 of 14,566
I've just rediscovered a conductor I found a decade ago - Teodor Currentzis - the so-called "punk rebel" of classical music, and he's just as exciting as I've always found him. His Beethoven 7 blows the dust off the old master along with several layers of varnish and perhaps the top layer of skin as well. The forceful energy has something in it of Karajan, without the emphasis on polish that took over in the later years or the overall balance. The scherzo is fearsome, and KSE1500 sublime in its rendering thereof.

Sounds interesting - any updates on your coffee adventures?

Mar 29, 2023 at 1:24 AM Post #14,452 of 14,566
Thanks for the tip. I will listen to it.

I find his recordings of Mozart opera's and Schostakovitch 14 very interesting. Haven't heard him on Beethoven yet. My benchmark for Beethoven 7 is Kleiber.

Mar 29, 2023 at 2:14 AM Post #14,453 of 14,566
Speaking of Classical - Apple’s new classical music stuff is out.

Good search and browse functionality, UI put together in high school AP CS class it seems, huge TODO with CarPlay…. definitely not a Roon killer… but I appreciate catering to the faithful few.

Mar 29, 2023 at 4:06 PM Post #14,455 of 14,566
Mar 30, 2023 at 8:15 AM Post #14,456 of 14,566
That's cool, that makes Roon actually interesting to me, which it has not been before. Classical music is not a large enough part of my listening to make the software experience for it important though. But I want hardware with sound quality that can handle it, when I do want to listen to classical I don't want to be too let down by the sound. And hardware that does that tend to be excellent when the jazz gets demanding.

Mar 30, 2023 at 12:22 PM Post #14,457 of 14,566
Roon looks interesting. I have a free YouTube music subscription (interesting only because, did I mention it's free, and it includes ad-free YouTube) so I am doing a lot of listening on that (more than I'd care to admit) and because upgrading from Mojave a year ago completely messed my iTunes library. The music is all there, but the years of careful playlists and folders of folders of playlists is gone. I am certainly tired of Apple. It's all the limitation with none of the magic.

I reviewed KSE1500 in great detail - see signature - and I stand by every sentence in the review. If there's just one headphone I'd have to live with for the rest of my life (convenience of AirPods aside, damn you Apple!), it would be KSE.

Mahler 6 open rehearsal in 40 minutes with MTT should be good. Latest coffee gadget is the Fellow Prismo add-on for the Aeropress. On vacation in Santa Cruz, with the Lagom Mini, it performed quite well. Nice, rich coffee. The trick is matching brew time to grind size. Everything else follows relatively easily. Follow your tongue.

Next addition is likely the Lagom p100...perhaps sometime after the expenses of the summer trip to Europe resolve themselves. We expect Wozzeck in London, Tristan at Grange Park, and Gotterdammerung in Vienna.

Mar 30, 2023 at 7:57 PM Post #14,458 of 14,566
I was "curating" my classical with a painful, slow process. I had tried Roon years ago and it was dreck for classical.
Sometime in the middle of last year, I tried Roon again and it had improved enough that I could live with it.

In the Jason's thread, I described by old process. My new process is simplicity itself.
  1. (having installed Roon Core on an old MacBook running Debian Buster)
  2. (having installed abcde on said Roon Core and configured it to always convert to flac)
  3. insert CD into slot drive
  4. type abcde
  5. answer 2 questions
    1. which musicbrainz tag set to use (that is, verify the CD is matched correctly)
    2. for a "various artist" CD, what format to use when naming files (wish I could figure out how to set this in the config)
  6. move ripped directory to Roon's library folder.
  7. let Roon update its directory
  8. play newest album added shown on roon home page

Mar 31, 2023 at 1:48 AM Post #14,459 of 14,566
Mahler 6 open rehearsal in 40 minutes with MTT should be good.
I was at the open rehearsal this morning, and it was a great experience. Davies Hall was full, and I heard people saying that it was the largest audience they'd ever seen at a rehearsal. MTT looked good (his brain tumor in remission), in good spirits and enjoyed talking to the audience (actually a bit too much – see below). The 6th Symphony has the unique "Mahler hammer" and I got to see it in action.

Near the end of the rehearsal, there were a few curious moments and it took me a moment to realize what happened. MTT and the orchestra were busily playing near the end of the finale, when MTT said "I'm sorry" to the orchestra, stopped them and told them to start playing from a certain bar number. Then someone entered the stage from the side and was making his way towards the center, picking his way through the musicians who were furiously playing away, and just then they reached the end of the symphony. What happened was that this person was coming out to call an end to the rehearsal at exactly 12:30pm under the musicians' contract. MTT saw that there was almost no time left (a digital clock at the side of the stage) and told the orchestra to skip forward to almost the end. At the beginning of the rehearsal before playing, MTT had used up 20 minutes of time talking to the audience about the Mahler 6th Symphony. He is quite an engaging speaker and educator.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2023 at 2:06 AM Post #14,460 of 14,566
Latest coffee gadget is the Fellow Prismo add-on for the Aeropress. On vacation in Santa Cruz, with the Lagom Mini, it performed quite well. Nice, rich coffee. The trick is matching brew time to grind size.
Something you can easily experiment with on Aeropress is to bring out a different flavor profile by underextracting, and compensate for the strength by using more coffee (this is the basic principle behind the Nel brew method). Underextract on an Aeropress with coarser grind, lower water temperature, and shorter brew time.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back