What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Aug 8, 2020 at 2:50 PM Post #12,886 of 14,564
Yes, desalinated absolutely. Anything else is a myth. A myth probably started by sailors.
As the most junior guy in the DD’s radio room, my dad said the other sailors sent him to make their coffee (1942ish). He’d never had a cup, so obv never made it either. Therefore filled with water, saw coffee in the percolator basket, turned it on. Yes, they were previously used grounds. Surprisingly, he lived...

Aug 11, 2020 at 9:34 AM Post #12,888 of 14,564
Aug 16, 2020 at 1:23 AM Post #12,891 of 14,564
So, for $400, I got a completely new dual boiler shipped to me, replete with all accoutrements. It's ironic, because the original was an eBay floor model that was missing a bunch of stuff when I got it. Portafilter, filter baskets, cleaning tablets - and on and on.

I've heard the Breville Dual Boiler is more a "wait till it breaks" than a "do maintenance as you go" kind of machine. Well, I'm going to leave it in the box for a while, I'm enjoying siphon too much to go back to espresso.

Aug 16, 2020 at 9:25 PM Post #12,895 of 14,564
Ah, that's not only good for sleeping but also against fever and aches.
Are you saying this about chamomile leaf tea, or Mighty Leaf chamomile citrus, a commercial branded product containing a mixture of Orange Peels, Rosehips, Chamomile Flowers, Lemongrass, Lemon Myrtle, Hibiscus Flowers, Natural Flavors, Spearmint, Orange Petals?
Thank you.

Aug 16, 2020 at 11:08 PM Post #12,896 of 14,564
Brewille coffee machines are like bluetooth headphones. Get an E-61 group machine.

2020-07-30_14.15.31.jpg

Aug 17, 2020 at 1:48 AM Post #12,897 of 14,564
A couple of years ago I was in Copenhagen at an Airbnb apartment, and the host had a Rocket coffee machine. Maybe one day I'll buy one and learn how to use it.

Aug 17, 2020 at 2:30 AM Post #12,898 of 14,564
I am lusting after an r58 cinquantotto. Though the R 9 1 is a glory unto God.
I know, I know, Breville is baby steps. But I got the EK first, because that’s going to last for decades. And the dual boiler is not bad.

Rocket will have to wait until for a few more purchases first...

In any case I haven’t even opened it yet, as I have way too much filter coffee to make with the siphon before getting back to espresso. Summer seems more like a pour over kind of time.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2020 at 10:36 AM Post #12,899 of 14,564
I am lusting after an r58 cinquantotto. Though the R 9 1 is a glory unto God.
I know, I know, Breville is baby steps. But I got the EK first, because that’s going to last for decades. And the dual boiler is not bad.

Rocket will have to wait until for a few more purchases first...

In any case I haven’t even opened it yet, as I have way too much filter coffee to make with the siphon before getting back to espresso. Summer seems more like a pour over kind of time.
Looks like you'll have to wait on the R Nine One. It's out of stock at Seattle Coffee Gear. :wink: I'd have to save up quite a few paychecks to afford that baby. :scream:

Aug 17, 2020 at 6:30 PM Post #12,900 of 14,564
As an owner of an espresso machine with vibration pump for years, i think a rotary pump would be a true dream soundwise, best audio improvement ever, for just around 300€. Breville are nice new machines, but i think there is a good refurbished espresso machines market now, like vintage audio, also in usa. My machine was 500€ fully serviced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back