What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Aug 6, 2020 at 5:59 PM Post #12,856 of 14,566
While we're on coffee; what is the quietest electric grinder? I prefer to grind my beans for my pour over. I've got a manual one (an upright cylinder but I've got a hold it in death grip while I grind which is aggravating my carpel tunnel. I use this currently
1596750973632.png

And I have not been able to source the white paper cone filters in months and I'm on my last box of 100. I order 4 boxes from Williams Sonoma 2 months or so ago, they still haven't received them.
Thanks in advance.

Aug 6, 2020 at 6:10 PM Post #12,857 of 14,566
Aug 6, 2020 at 7:01 PM Post #12,859 of 14,566
Ah, a form of pour-over. I do that using a clever dripper if I want a single cup in the afternoon, but I prefer a carafe of coffee in the mornings since I drink several cups and thus a standard drip coffee maker is best for me.
Nel is a form of pour-over, but it is more about an approach of making the brew underextracted but strong, and can be applied to other brewing methods as well.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/what-a-long-strange-trip-its-been-robert-hunter.784471/post-15735547

Aug 6, 2020 at 7:12 PM Post #12,860 of 14,566
So confession - the high dose I was using for nel was getting too expensive so I said phuck it and switched to normal pour over. 94 degrees C, 27g, ground just over 7 on the EK.

cloth still makes it taste way better. Such sweet silky mouthfeel and clarity, yet without the paper taste. Ah! I love it.

Aug 6, 2020 at 7:19 PM Post #12,861 of 14,566
While we're on coffee; what is the quietest electric grinder? I prefer to grind my beans for my pour over. I've got a manual one (an upright cylinder but I've got a hold it in death grip while I grind which is aggravating my carpel tunnel. I use this currently

Quite possibly the Fellow Ode. Early reports are insanely promising, and we love the design and execution of Fellow coffeestuff. We don't drink anything but espresso, but if we did any kind of pour over or press, we'd check out the Ode before buying anything else.

Grinder_HeroImage_PureFront_0cdbeceb-138c-4f53-b13e-63ca8f71af48_900x.png

Aug 6, 2020 at 7:27 PM Post #12,862 of 14,566
I drink 2 - 12 ounce cups a day, one when I get up and one after lunch so I'll be grinding just enough beans for my 12 ounce cup strength each time. This looks just right at $99 with a stainless steel cup and lid on the cup to keep the grind in, instead of plastic.
1596756202992.png

I had a super cheap electric this past winter, with plastic cup, when the gas air heat takes the humidity down to 19% even at a room air temp of 67 degrees and I'd pull out the cup with the grind, static electricity would suck the grinds out into the air and all over the area of the countertop. It was easier and quicker to drive somewhere and buy a cup and took less time than the cleanup, LOL! But then couldn't get the brand beans I like best.

Aug 6, 2020 at 7:30 PM Post #12,863 of 14,566
Looking at a new drip coffee maker as my old Krupps is getting long in the tooth. Any opinions out there on the MoccaMaster brand?

I have a Bonavita and even though it makes a decent cup the carafe was infuriating as could never get it completely empty. I picked up a Moccamaster KB recently and way better cup. I am totally sold on it though I admit I have never tried pour over. I did return it unfortunately as the metal band around the glass carafe was slightly loose. I decided to get the KBGV select model instead and it should arrive next week.

Aug 6, 2020 at 7:54 PM Post #12,864 of 14,566
Aug 6, 2020 at 7:55 PM Post #12,865 of 14,566
I am certainly not the connoisseur some of you are and do not taste for things like mouth feel or aroma or any other thing borrowed from wine tasting. :) I just love coffee, I am a caffeine addict (thank you US Navy) and I tend to empty the "12-cup" stainless carafe on my Krups drip coffee maker every day. I want a machine that will make a good cup that I don't have to futz with other than to grind the beans and fill the tank with water. I am looking at the Moccamaster CDT Grande 60-ounce because it's a decent looking machine with a nice BIG carafe.

Aug 6, 2020 at 8:24 PM Post #12,866 of 14,566
I found the Select to appealing as has improved water dispenser, certified for half pot unlike the other models and also has 10 year warranty. My wife and I finish off a full pot in morning but I have days I need a batch in the afternoon so hoping the half pot feature is nice improvement. Downside is only available with glass carafe so would need 2nd metal one for longer keep time. The Select is new to US and not available at all retailers yet.

Aug 6, 2020 at 9:25 PM Post #12,867 of 14,566
Ah, a form of pour-over. I do that using a clever dripper if I want a single cup in the afternoon, but I prefer a carafe of coffee in the mornings since I drink several cups and thus a standard drip coffee maker is best for me.
I do the same, so I’m chemex (to a thermos bottle) in the morning, and aeropress in the afternoon!

Aug 7, 2020 at 1:07 AM Post #12,869 of 14,566
I am certainly not the connoisseur some of you are and do not taste for things like mouth feel or aroma or any other thing borrowed from wine tasting. :) I just love coffee, I am a caffeine addict (thank you US Navy) and I tend to empty the "12-cup" stainless carafe on my Krups drip coffee maker every day. I want a machine that will make a good cup that I don't have to futz with other than to grind the beans and fill the tank with water. I am looking at the Moccamaster CDT Grande 60-ounce because it's a decent looking machine with a nice BIG carafe.

Can't go wrong with a Moccamaster. Everyone in Finland has one. Even the people who don't drink coffee have one, so they can make some if they get visitors.

Aug 7, 2020 at 9:54 AM Post #12,870 of 14,566
When my old Mr. Coffee dies, this would be my choice as well. After going to the stainless vacuum bottle style container, I'll never go back to a glass pot on a hotplate. It's even got me thinking about getting one for work. While the industrial Bunn works well (since I'm the one who maintains it), other people make the coffee at times and I in good conscience can't just dump a 3/4 pot down the drain because I don't know how they made the swill....Decisions. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back