What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Aug 17, 2020 at 6:35 PM Post #12,901 of 14,566
Google for:

"Kees van der Westen speedster"

That's a proper bad boy. Truly mean machine. Eats rockets for breakfast.

Aug 17, 2020 at 7:44 PM Post #12,902 of 14,566
Are you saying this about chamomile leaf tea, or Mighty Leaf chamomile citrus, a commercial branded product containing a mixture of Orange Peels, Rosehips, Chamomile Flowers, Lemongrass, Lemon Myrtle, Hibiscus Flowers, Natural Flavors, Spearmint, Orange Petals?
Thank you.
Just the simple leaf tea that you put in boiling water and let brew for at least half an hour. Than you can add citrus or honey or half a lemon with three cloves stuck in it which will give you air while sleeping and cool any tooth ache.
No commercial branded product. Just as Bosie wrote. The old fashioned thing.

Aug 17, 2020 at 11:41 PM Post #12,903 of 14,566
Still on the espresso sideline... Managed to find a house to rent for a week's vacation up the coast, but needed my espresso fix. Got this and this for a portable setup. After some binary search for the right grind of my standard espresso beans, I'm getting some decent ristrettos. I'm glad I do weight work regularly, though :ksc75smile:

Aug 21, 2020 at 1:56 AM Post #12,904 of 14,566
My nel and siphon had an early peak and seem to be declining into slightly more astringency. I wonder - am I not cleaning the cloth aggressively enough? Am I tasting old coffee oils? We aren't counseled to use the coffee cleaning powder after each use. (I use the espresso tablets, which are, I assume, just compacted powder.) Quite the contrary - it's supposed to be only used from time to time after the filter has been discolored significantly.

I suppose I could go back to pour over just to reset and see how the paper world is. I feel bad that I cheeped out and got just the filter and holder, and not the whole glass contraption. I use my French press body for the brew, but as it is ceramic I'm not able to watch the dripping. In truth, I'm usually not able to in regular pour overs, as I pour over the mug directly and not the nice glass carafe.

Siphon in particular has become unbelievably challenging. The heating doesn't work without the lid on, but then with it on it seems to overheat - you have to turn it down once the water begins to move up at a rapid clip. And then the question is where do you measure the temperature. Blue Bottle says 188°C is the correct temperature. But the temperature at the cloth filter is much hotter than in the water generally. Should I swirl it all together to get an accurate reading?

It is truly a maddening obsession. If it didn't taste so good -

Aug 21, 2020 at 6:19 AM Post #12,905 of 14,566
Yes, I just bought some of those cloth re-useables for a backup. Difficult finding Chemex's for my pour over's lately and I'm running low but have some in the mail presently coming. I guess paper is being diverted to production of masks and toilet paper! I ordered 2 packs of 3 different type cloth ones. One spoke of sanitizing by using boiling water or in a microwave (in water I think). Maybe that would have an effect, positive presumably.

I note a distinctly changing flavor of late myself, not sure what to attribute it too. I grind my beans manually so it should be fresh. I only drink 2 x 12 ounce mugs a day. Maybe i still need to refine my process. How long can the beans hang around before roasting and bagging? Are the beans at a certain point in time of the growing year better than at others? Is coffee a year round crop from all sources? Just thinking out loud, err, in print. Inquiring taste buds want to know:slight_smile:

Aug 21, 2020 at 9:49 PM Post #12,906 of 14,566
It's a Yamaha RX-A3030. The manual states 1.4 HDMI. Plus, an old review I found claims it'll play 2 channel DSD via HDMI. So, I think it's time for some experimentation. Now, if I could get rid of the cable ground loop hum, when I patch it into my Saga, for HT passthrough, I'd be really happy!!!
My prepro (home theater) doesn't claim to handle DSD but it does. In fact, it explicitly says it doesn't and yet my one DSD recording sounds pretty good.
I say experiment away!

Aug 21, 2020 at 9:51 PM Post #12,907 of 14,566
Looking at a new drip coffee maker as my old Krupps is getting long in the tooth. Any opinions out there on the MoccaMaster brand?
Love mine MoccaMaster. And all the neat colors! Sadly, no red available when we pulled the trigger.

Awesome coffee and so simple to use.

We have the metal carafe and it comes with a kind of funnel lid for brewing and another lid to keep the coffee hot.

With the second lid the coffee doesn't reach room temperature until the afternoon, say 6-7 hours after being brewed.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2020 at 6:34 AM Post #12,908 of 14,566
My prepro (home theater) doesn't claim to handle DSD but it does. In fact, it explicitly says it doesn't and yet my one DSD recording sounds pretty good.
I say experime
Not certain if you were playing a digital file or a physical disk; however, most digital streaming software and some disk players will convert DSD to PCM if the DAC is unable to play DSD. This can either be automatic, if the connection supports a bidirectional protocol (eg USB or HDMI), or a manual menu setting that may be set to default to PCM output.

EDIT Second sentence on auto/manual added.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2020 at 4:43 PM Post #12,909 of 14,566
Not certain if you were playing a digital file or a physical disk; however, most digital streaming software and some disk players will convert DSD to PCM if the DAC is unable to play DSD. This can either be automatic, if the connection supports a bidirectional protocol (eg USB or HDMI), or a manual menu setting that may be set to default to PCM output.

@artur9 @StimpyWan
It is possible the HDMI source is converting the DSD stream into multi-channel PCM and sending it over the HDMI.

I have an old Sony SACD (NS500V) that is configurable to convert 2 channel DSD into S/PDIF at 16/44.1 which feeds my Bifrost OG. the NS500V also has settings to set the digital out to DSD2.8, various Dolby & DTS formats, etc. Remember that the Compact Disk format (and the S/PDIF interface) was developed as a joint venture between Sony and Philips, so Sony would have also designed the DSD standard a data rate such that it could be easily converted to a 16/44.1 PCM data stream for compatibility with legacy receivers.

there is updated firmware for the Yamaha receiver, but of course there is always a risk of a malfunction during the update process, resulting in a bricked unit :frowning2:

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2020 at 10:10 PM Post #12,910 of 14,566

Sure. OTOH, the display on the prepro said something like 1/1Mhz or some craziness instead of 16/44.

P.S. The DAC in the prepro is capable of playing DSD as well. Some ESS Sabre variant.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2020 at 10:16 PM Post #12,911 of 14,566
Aug 23, 2020 at 12:24 AM Post #12,913 of 14,566
Does it sound good? Then you’re golden.

sage advice from someone on the interwebs? how rare. who was that masked man

OTOH, the golden rule of audio is "if it ain't broke, try and fix it anyway" :head_bandage:

@Ableza you should get a matching Schiit mask to go with the cap

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2020 at 1:05 AM Post #12,914 of 14,566
The trick seems to be taking the coffee out immediately after you finish brewing, and rinsing the filters repeatedly and with boiling water.

I also have had to back off the 6.9 fineness for siphon to a more conservative 7.1 on the EK. Today's siphon went well. I'm still nailing down exactly how to submerge the grounds in the water at the beginning. James Freeman says pretend you're spreading butter on an especially delicate piece of toast. Tomorrow I'll try giving it a single stir, and see what difference that makes.

Getting the temperature right is so hard. I'm sitting around 180°, though I am never sure with the analog thermometer - should get a digital thermocouple.

EDIT: I'll add further that it's easier in smaller doses. 300g of water to 30g of coffee is much easier than, say, 450g of water to 40g of coffee.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back