What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
May 3, 2020 at 6:23 PM Post #12,346 of 14,565
Oh, I don't think the Goodall Ring is that bad. At least it's one Germanic language to another. Now, Callas's Liebestod in Italian or Wunderlich's Verdi recordings in German are true disasters. The Komische Oper still translates everything into German (it is the most tethered to the German convention of the twentieth century in this respect), and the Poros that I heard last summer really should have been in Italian.

Getting back into my HD800 - the bass is reduced compared to KSE1500 but the spaciousness is much appreciated. A good soundstage counts for a lot. Listened to the Parsifal from 1951 - the Knappertsbusch that reopened Bayreuth. The third act in particular is so numinous and otherworldly - it's no wonder someone commented after the premiere that he had a premonition Wagner wood soon be dead, that no man capable of writing that was long for this earth. The end of Act 1 is transfixing, but the last half hour of Act 3 is true sublimity. Only the Missa Solemnis comes close in that respect for me - and even there, the Gloria is a little hyperactive.

May 4, 2020 at 1:06 PM Post #12,347 of 14,565
I mentioned elsewhere in a semi-tongue in cheek writing what the value of measurements with their frequent lack of formal scientific development. To be fair, there are magazines who have developed measurement techniques which are selectively valuable for some gear and worthless for others. Now granted, there are tests that I have performed on DACs and ADCs which verify their specs and have sonic correlations in the real world. By and large however, when I find myself in the company of measurebators, the conversation is far too often so much intellectual fiddlesticks. Like reading Bertrand Russell. The writing ended with the utter disappointment of expressing anything in two dimensions. Suitable for the something as trivial as audio measurements but impossible for anything meaningful such as a taco or a car.(Thanks to Fred Reed) Now before I get roasted for lacking a sufficient scientific nature, please understand this is a bit tongue in cheek. Hopefully by now all realize that I have moments where I cannot be taken seriously.

Work on the still buggy Unison USB out continues. A part of the debug is to make sure it works with other USB input chips. There are several in particular whose popularities are only exceeded by a laundry list of useless formats such as DSD, SACD, etc. The problem is when we are trying to connect our Unison USB out to many of these USB input receivers is they ask if we want those formats in different orders by chip. Ugh. Kinda like selling seat warmers in Singapore or ice in Fairbanks winters. Listening to baseball in Latin or Wagner in English. Worthless, just worthless. The problem is I still have to do it for compatibility.

That’s pretty funny, love that!!

“ in the company of measurebators, the conversation is far too often so much intellectual fiddlesticks.”

May 4, 2020 at 1:15 PM Post #12,348 of 14,565
That’s pretty funny, love that!!

“ in the company of measurebators, the conversation is far too often so much intellectual fiddlesticks.”
"Fiddlesticks" is a form of mutual masterbation.

May 4, 2020 at 7:13 PM Post #12,351 of 14,565
Ahem. I suggest we get back to music.

[In case this goes over your head, check the band's name]

My favorite Circle Jerks song is "World Up My Ass"

May 5, 2020 at 9:49 AM Post #12,356 of 14,565
If you want an argument for white bread go Kant.

Immanuel Kant was a real pissant
Who was very rarely stable

Heidegger, Heidegger was a boozy beggar
Who could think you under the table

David Hume could out-consume
Wilhelm Freidrich Hegel

And Wittgenstein was a beery swine
Who was just as schloshed as Schlegel

There's nothing Nietzsche couldn't teach ya
'bout the raising of the wrist
Socrates, himself, was permanently pissed

John Stuart Mill, of his own free will
On half a pint of shandy was particularly ill

Plato, they say, could stick it away
Half a crate of whiskey every day

Aristotle, Aristotle was a bugger for the bottle
And Hobbes was fond of his dram

And Rene Descartes was a drunken fart
"I drink, therefore I am."

Yes, Socrates himself is particularly missed
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed

Monty Python, from:
https://genius.com/Monty-python-bruces-philosophers-song-lyrics

Last edited:
May 8, 2020 at 2:05 PM Post #12,357 of 14,565
May 8, 2020 at 2:17 PM Post #12,358 of 14,565
Couldn't resist. Had to try a starter pack. Thanks!!!

Got the French Press since I couldn't find any K Cup pods. :D

May 8, 2020 at 2:32 PM Post #12,359 of 14,565
May 8, 2020 at 2:33 PM Post #12,360 of 14,565
Coffee fanatics: I tried this, looking for something different and interesting. I liked it. You may too.

https://criobru.com/?fbclid=IwAR2-p5kfCT6769iU-6bgPbW8vjCdV9kAJYi9xSQNUATVkMyZrhcuNQRA7Fw
I stumbled upon Crio Bru at a local paleo-restaurant. Well, paleo themed restaurant. I kept waiting for them to offer a wooley mammoth burger.
A local supermarket carried Crio Bru for a while, but both have stopped. I didn't think to look for them selling direct!
I tried various brews. They differ. One I really liked, and one I could take it or leave it.
You mileage may vary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back