What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
May 12, 2020 at 1:00 AM Post #12,377 of 14,566
It has been weeks, if not months since I gave Jason the good news that the Unison USB as a digital out was of far greater promise than the BWD (bit word data) interface which I utilized back in the 1980s. At that time, it was vastly superior over S/Pdif, which was then was the only method of digital connectivity. Well, as of now the best by far new method is Unison USB out to Unison USB in. The king is dead – long live the king.

A huge Unison advantage over BWD is that it connects standard method - USB to USB. No need for weird-assed proprietary connectors/cables. To say nothing of the sound. The problem is that since we cannot be arrogant enough (although glibly tempting) to say that this Schiit Unison output, should be connected to Schiit DACs only. The problem is that is in BWD territory – proprietrary. NFG.

So we first made the Unison output work with our Unison and GenX Schiit USB inputs. In this case of the Unison USB output, there are some 7-8 other chips (I think as of now; could be a couple more) used for USB audio input in the wild. These are chips made by others which our competitors of necessity buy.

So we have to make our USB input work with a variety of other people’s chips. Since we are making our own USB interface, these chipmakers view us as competition and are not forthcoming with what we need to do to work with their chips. So we gave to figure it out for ourselves. This is now in process, along with debugs. Ivana just gave me her latest version of Unison USB Out software which indeed is sounds better, less buggy and runs faster.

So just for emphasis, let me repeat loudly: BWD is dead, beyond stiff and smelling very badly. The have been some on this forum chattering about it, but all they do is waste bandwidth. I am sorry it took so long for me to clarify this.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
May 12, 2020 at 5:49 AM Post #12,379 of 14,566
"So just for emphasis, let me repeat loudly: BWD is dead, beyond stiff and smelling very badly." :radioactive:
hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha… :ksc75smile:

And to think, all it took was a Manhatten style project.:thumbsup:

JJ :ksc75smile:

May 12, 2020 at 9:15 AM Post #12,380 of 14,566
If we had to stop wasting bandwidth many on these forums would be left with nothing to do. :) Good news, Mike, thank you for the update.

May 12, 2020 at 9:28 AM Post #12,381 of 14,566
Not being technically inclined on such matters my question is;

If the Schiit transport has Unison USB output and it is connected to Yggdrasil 2's Unison USB input it will perform better than AES, coax, or any other type of input signal?
Or is this about PC and streamer audio users only?

May 12, 2020 at 9:36 AM Post #12,382 of 14,566
Not being technically inclined on such matters my question is;

If the Schiit transport has Unison USB output and it is connected to Yggdrasil 2's Unison USB input it will perform better than AES, coax, or any other type of input signal?
Or is this about PC and streamer audio users only?
I think what Mike just posted was Unison to Unison is the best he's heard. A Unison output will only be available on their CD transport when it appears, so that has nothing to do with streaming.

May 12, 2020 at 10:02 AM Post #12,383 of 14,566
I think what Mike just posted was Unison to Unison is the best he's heard. A Unison output will only be available on their CD transport when it appears, so that has nothing to do with streaming.
Maybe it will have both AES and Unison.
Good way to test the benefits of Unison.

May 12, 2020 at 10:28 AM Post #12,384 of 14,566
May 12, 2020 at 11:17 AM Post #12,386 of 14,566
It has been weeks, if not months since I gave Jason the good news that the Unison USB as a digital out was of far greater promise than the BWD (bit word data) interface which I utilized back in the 1980s. At that time, it was vastly superior over S/Pdif, which was then was the only method of digital connectivity. Well, as of now the best by far new method is Unison USB out to Unison USB in. The king is dead – long live the king.

A huge Unison advantage over BWD is that it connects standard method - USB to USB. No need for weird-assed proprietary connectors/cables. To say nothing of the sound. The problem is that since we cannot be arrogant enough (although glibly tempting) to say that this Schiit Unison output, should be connected to Schiit DACs only. The problem is that is in BWD territory – proprietrary. NFG.

So we first made the Unison output work with our Unison and GenX Schiit USB inputs. In this case of the Unison USB output, there are some 7-8 other chips (I think as of now; could be a couple more) used for USB audio input in the wild. These are chips made by others which our competitors of necessity buy.

So we have to make our USB input work with a variety of other people’s chips. Since we are making our own USB interface, these chipmakers view us as competition and are not forthcoming with what we need to do to work with their chips. So we gave to figure it out for ourselves. This is now in process, along with debugs. Ivana just gave me her latest version of Unison USB Out software which indeed is sounds better, less buggy and runs faster.

So just for emphasis, let me repeat loudly: BWD is dead, beyond stiff and smelling very badly. The have been some on this forum chattering about it, but all they do is waste bandwidth. I am sorry it took so long for me to clarify this.

Mike,
Thanks very much for the excellent clarification about the death of BWD
Message received and completely understood.

'E's not pinin'! 'E's passed on! This parrot is no more! He has ceased to be! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! 'E's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e rests in peace! If you hadn't nailed 'im to the perch 'e'd be pushing up the daisies! 'Is metabolic processes are now 'istory! 'E's off the twig! 'E's kicked the bucket, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisible!! THIS IS AN EX-PARROT!!

(With thanks to Monty Python)

May 12, 2020 at 11:27 AM Post #12,387 of 14,566
Well, now I could kick myself for not getting Unison USB when I sent my Yggdrasil 1 back for the upgrade to 2. Another $80.00 to Fed X to send back, ugh!

May 12, 2020 at 11:33 AM Post #12,388 of 14,566
I have two Yggdrasil's, I purchased a Yggdrasil 2 on 8/21/18 but I'm guessing Unison USB was not available at that time?

May 12, 2020 at 11:56 AM Post #12,390 of 14,566
For the other 3 opera fans on this thread, hope you can play this, its a riot, and I am a fan of late Puccini.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=257671452307145

Paste to address bar and make sure the videos volume is on if the link doesn't connect.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back