What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Apr 19, 2020 at 5:19 AM Post #12,331 of 14,566
Sorry, my memory failed me. Or my brain tricked me. I like (and have always liked) multibit DACs more than S/D, so maybe I am conditioned to think MB when I hear about an astonishingly good DAC.

Apr 20, 2020 at 3:40 AM Post #12,335 of 14,566
Tomorrow is a Parsifal day. I have a great recording from the Netherlands.

The performance was in the Netherlands? I could only imagine as part of the Holland Festival or so....

Apr 20, 2020 at 5:58 AM Post #12,336 of 14,566
Capture.JPG

Coffee slumming ... :smirk:
nescafe.jpg

Apr 20, 2020 at 3:09 PM Post #12,337 of 14,566
For the past few months I've been drinking Lavazza Super Crema made in my drip coffee maker. A coffee-snob friend of mine said, "Lavazza is like the Bose of coffee." That might be true. But like some people are real fans of Bose, this coffee tastes good to me. :)
Lavazza is in Triëste where it comes from an even match with Illy., also from Triëste.

Last edited:
May 2, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #12,340 of 14,566
Wow – what a roller coaster week. I was poleaxed Wednesday when I found out we lost John Prine. When I went to Peru his first self-titled cassette tape (That’s the best portable media we had back then.) was one of the five tapes I brought with me. The rest were Mahler and Bruckner. The magnitude of the loss had not yet sunk in, but I kept busy chasing the USB Unison output dream. Ivana came up Thursday and at the end of the day, it worked – 9 months of work. Damn! I was really beside myself waiting to try it on a transport which is still not ready for prime time to compare it to the S/PDIF out already present. So I spun up John Prine’s Tree of Forgiveness. Wow - I realized I had been taking JP for granted all of these years. He is an every-man poet. Kinda like a Bob Dylan who doesn’t take himself so f**king seriously. If you haven’t heard him, give him a try. You will either love or hate him. If it is the latter, blame me. I started this thread as a tribute to Robert Hunter who wrote so many incredible Grateful Dead songs. It is now time to honor John Prine. I will touch on new audio when I recover.

Mike, I only found out today that you are back, having just read your posts about your recovery from such a serious illness.
Wow! It is a remarkable tale of resilience. I wish you a full recovery.
It is great to have you back!
I remember buying John Prine's first album on vinyl when it came out.
It had a huge impact on me and I still play it.
I have recommended him to some friends who never came across his music first time around, and all have been moved by his words and music.
I heard him interviewed by Johnny Walker on BBC radio not long ago. It was a great interview. He had so many tales to tell, yet remained humble.
As you say, he didn't take himself seriously despite his talent.
His duet with Bonnie Raitt singing Angel From Montgomery still sends shivers down my spine every time I hear it.
I, too, was poleaxed when I heard we lost him.

May 2, 2020 at 5:17 PM Post #12,341 of 14,566
For the past few months I've been drinking Lavazza Super Crema made in my drip coffee maker. A coffee-snob friend of mine said, "Lavazza is like the Bose of coffee." That might be true. But like some people are real fans of Bose, this coffee tastes good to me. :)
IMG_1002.jpg
Thanks for the coffee tip @Ableza ! I just received my 2.2 lb bag and ground some fresh for drip this morning. My wife and I thought it was excellent and enjoyed it while listening to Emil Brandqvist Trio - Entering the Woods. The track Raindrops I'm particularly drawn to and the whole album is great.

May 3, 2020 at 3:44 PM Post #12,342 of 14,566
I mentioned elsewhere in a semi-tongue in cheek writing what the value of measurements with their frequent lack of formal scientific development. To be fair, there are magazines who have developed measurement techniques which are selectively valuable for some gear and worthless for others. Now granted, there are tests that I have performed on DACs and ADCs which verify their specs and have sonic correlations in the real world. By and large however, when I find myself in the company of measurebators, the conversation is far too often so much intellectual fiddlesticks. Like reading Bertrand Russell. The writing ended with the utter disappointment of expressing anything in two dimensions. Suitable for the something as trivial as audio measurements but impossible for anything meaningful such as a taco or a car.(Thanks to Fred Reed) Now before I get roasted for lacking a sufficient scientific nature, please understand this is a bit tongue in cheek. Hopefully by now all realize that I have moments where I cannot be taken seriously.

Work on the still buggy Unison USB out continues. A part of the debug is to make sure it works with other USB input chips. There are several in particular whose popularities are only exceeded by a laundry list of useless formats such as DSD, SACD, etc. The problem is when we are trying to connect our Unison USB out to many of these USB input receivers is they ask if we want those formats in different orders by chip. Ugh. Kinda like selling seat warmers in Singapore or ice in Fairbanks winters. Listening to baseball in Latin or Wagner in English. Worthless, just worthless. The problem is I still have to do it for compatibility.

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
May 3, 2020 at 4:04 PM Post #12,343 of 14,566
Bertrand Russell is at least better than some choices. Consider Deepak Chopra. Where Russell's electronic measurements would be excruciatingly precise and backed by mind-numbing layers of logical derivation, Chopra's would be mental approximations made from across town, and backed by mind-numbing layers of ideological double-speak. I'll take a middle path, thanks. Maybe like measurements from Ferdinand de Saussure or even Umberto Eco.

Last edited:
May 3, 2020 at 4:57 PM Post #12,344 of 14,566
Bertrand Russell is at least better than some choices. Consider Deepak Chopra. Where Russell's electronic measurements would be excruciatingly precise and backed by mind-numbing layers of logical derivation, Chopra's would be mental approximations made from across town, and backed by mind-numbing layers of ideological double-speak. I'll take a middle path, thanks. Maybe like measurements from Ferdinand de Saussure or even Umberto Eco.
If you want an argument for white bread go Kant.

May 3, 2020 at 5:34 PM Post #12,345 of 14,566
Hey Mike, good to see some regular posts by you! Welcome back.

I posted this question on Jason's thread so I'll post it here to along with the same apology for my ignorance. Regarding the development of a CD player it would seem to a layman like myself that a relatively quick path would be to add a CD transport to one or more of your existing DACs. You, as the designer, have complete control as to how the transport connects to the DAC.

I'm guessing that at least one of the answers is many of your customers who already own one of your DACs don't want to buy redundant products and would rather just add a transport.

Another question, based on your thoughts of USB now being the best digital interface, have you considered adding an additional USB input to any of your DACs? With many of us connecting our streamers into the USB of our DACs, adding a CD transport with USB to our DACs becomes problematic.

edit: (thanks @Ableza) I'm not suggesting a transport would fit in the same case as any of your existing DACs.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back