What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Apr 18, 2020 at 4:41 AM Post #12,317 of 14,566
You know, dollar for dollar, that coffee is a much better investment than my ek. The drinker clearly thinks like an economist.

Apr 18, 2020 at 7:35 AM Post #12,319 of 14,566
Saturday cup of coffee, and the puck.

121CC401-9357-40A1-96B1-D412365C21B0.jpeg

Apr 18, 2020 at 10:30 AM Post #12,320 of 14,566
Apr 18, 2020 at 2:33 PM Post #12,322 of 14,566
For the past few months I've been drinking Lavazza Super Crema made in my drip coffee maker. A coffee-snob friend of mine said, "Lavazza is like the Bose of coffee." That might be true. But like some people are real fans of Bose, this coffee tastes good to me. :)
IMG_1002.jpg

Apr 19, 2020 at 12:09 AM Post #12,323 of 14,566
I'm wondering.

What did Jason mean when he said, "The golden age of multibit is yet to come"?

Apr 19, 2020 at 2:18 AM Post #12,326 of 14,566
I'm wondering.

Yes -- that statement definitely peaked my interest! :D

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2020 at 2:42 AM Post #12,327 of 14,566
I'm wondering when @Jason Stoddard said that.

Here:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...bable-start-up.701900/page-3842#post-15517944

Excerpt:

“You shouldn’t be doing tubes/discrete/multibit because it measures like ass,” is the first objection. And yeah, tubes, discrete designs, and multibit DACs typically may not measure as well as the best of the op-amp/delta-sigma based products out there, but to call it “like ass” obscures the reality. It also closes off one fun avenue of audio investigation. It’d be like if Willie Wonka found a new tributary of the Chocolate River and decided not to explore it. Or if he’d decided not to take the Great Glass Elevator into space (not making this up, read the books.) And closing off investigation is anti-science. Fact is, discrete can measure better than op-amps, especially when used in low-noise or current-output applications such as in a phono preamp or DAC I/V converter. These are usually heroic approaches, though, with high complexity, high power dissipation, etc…but discrete can be better. Tubes, yeah, well, the overall loop gain is low, so it’s gonna be hard to get great measurements. Multibit…again, with heroic designs, performance can be high (and maybe not so heroic, heh heh…the golden age of multibit may yet be ahead of us). So we continue to explore all avenues, to see where it leads us, to have some fun, and (hopefully) come up with stuff that you like, too.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2020 at 2:55 AM Post #12,328 of 14,566
I'm wondering.

I don't know what Jason meant of course, but in one of his latest technical posts in this thread Mike mentioned that he has been playing with a DAC prototype (whether it was already prototype status or just fooling around status I can't remember) that would be very cheap, but unexpectedly sounded way better than it should. If Mike has figured out why it sounds that much better, and if what was different is a (fundamental) change from his existing "multibit recipe", then there would be reasons to state that the golden age of multibit is yet to come. Note that this is just speculation on my part.....

Apr 19, 2020 at 3:43 AM Post #12,329 of 14,566
I don't know what Jason meant of course, but in one of his latest technical posts in this thread Mike mentioned that he has been playing with a DAC prototype (whether it was already prototype status or just fooling around status I can't remember) that would be very cheap, but unexpectedly sounded way better than it should. If Mike has figured out why it sounds that much better, and if what was different is a (fundamental) change from his existing "multibit recipe", then there would be reasons to state that the golden age of multibit is yet to come. Note that this is just speculation on my part.....

That DAC Mike was playing around with and made a comment about it sounding astonishingly good and far better than he expected, was not a Multibit unit -- it was a Sigma-Delta unit, which is why Mike was so astonished!! :D

I think Jason's comment was unrelated to Mike's post, which means woohoo for future Schiit multibit!!! (And maybe even their S/D-based DACs)

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2020 at 3:53 AM Post #12,330 of 14,566
An interesting look at microtonality and a great peek at A432 vs A440 through the eyes and ears of Jacob Collier

Fascinating stuff. I've noticed that Jacob Collier's biggest fans are other musicians and composers. They are the ones who immediately recognize the innovation in his harmonies. For myself, I need to have his music to be broken down and explained as in this video before I comprehend what I'm hearing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back