What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Nov 3, 2019 at 5:44 PM Post #11,941 of 14,564
AirPods Pro are better than expected. Apple has really done some great R&D into noise cancellation - it's excellent. The sound quality itself is what you would expect. The detail retrieval is no more than okay. There's a degree of smear. The D/A conversion depends a lot on how good the recording engineer is. The 1966 Tristan was shrill, but a lot of other stuff is fine. They are more spacious than I expected. The venting of the original and Pro versions both are better than expected on that score. They are not particularly transparent. The sound of the Brendel/Abbado Brahms 1 sounds veiled. Solo piano is an astringent failure.

Obviously, the portability factor is amazing. They're the most portable headphones I own, along with the original AirPods. The downside to battery powered headphones though is that they are disposable, and gradually become less able to hold a charge as you use them. I could see myself taking these for weekend trips to LA and foregoing KSE1500.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2019 at 6:13 PM Post #11,942 of 14,564
AirPods Pro are better than expected. Apple has really done some great R&D into noise cancellation - it's excellent. The sound quality itself is what you would expect. The detail retrieval is no more than okay. There's a degree of smear. The D/A conversion depends a lot on how good the recording engineer is. The 1966 Tristan was shrill, but a lot of other stuff is fine. They are more spacious than I expected. The venting of the original and Pro versions both are better than expected on that score. They are not particularly transparent. The sound of the Brendel/Abbado Brahms 1 sounds veiled.

Obviously, the portability factor is amazing. They're the most portable headphones I own, along with the original AirPods. The downside to battery powered headphones though is that they are disposable, and gradually become less able to hold a charge as you use them. I could see myself taking these for weekend trips to LA and foregoing KSE1500.

It's a hardware subscription service where you make a payment every 2 or 3 years, unfortunately.

For all Apple talks about being environmentally conscious, it's all marketing drivel, to be blunt.

Nov 3, 2019 at 6:19 PM Post #11,943 of 14,564
Very true. However, in the context of what we consume and throw away - all the plastic packaging, the single use water bottles and milk jugs and soda bottles and yoghurt containers and plastic wrap and to-go Tupperware - I have to say that AirPods are less of a dumpster fire they could be, in terms of enjoyment gained per unit of plastic thrown out.

Nov 4, 2019 at 10:30 AM Post #11,944 of 14,564
Nuts - and there's me who had to replace my kettle urgently today as the lid kept popping up involuntarily. Suffice to say that while my £35 bought me something functional, it's not as elegant or desirable as that and I wish I'd seen this before buying anything

I've never seen a kettle that not only lets you sets the temperature but is also pretty. I've only ever seen one or the other before.

Fortunately I do have some good beans to enjoy from my local roaster - Wogan coffee in Bristol, UK. Ethiopian Lekempte, which I enjoy very much from.my aeropress. Wogan have an EK43, should a walk-in customer want their beans ground , but that's their small grinder. The big 'un in the back stood 5 ft tall, but looked like it had far less finesse.

Ethiopian! :wink::thumbsup:

Nov 5, 2019 at 12:32 AM Post #11,945 of 14,564
Got another kilo of the sweet shop, as well as 350g of the decaf.

I may need to start getting smaller bags, the kilo gets a little stale by the end

Nov 5, 2019 at 7:44 AM Post #11,946 of 14,564
Getting another 5 lbs of kona extra fancy, quality coffee at a great price, hope this co in Calgary keeps up the promo.

Nov 5, 2019 at 7:55 AM Post #11,948 of 14,564
Rococo fine foods, the kona is on sale but they do 30% off for short periods so I double combine for a 100$ order

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2019 at 1:45 PM Post #11,950 of 14,564
Nov 6, 2019 at 10:31 AM Post #11,952 of 14,564
Note the stack of Schiit gear on the top shelf of the case to the left of all the coffee brewing stuff.

Nov 6, 2019 at 10:41 AM Post #11,953 of 14,564
Nov 6, 2019 at 12:02 PM Post #11,954 of 14,564
Honestly I think Rag/Yggy would simplify my life, and let me put the Panache into storage.

Nov 7, 2019 at 9:48 AM Post #11,955 of 14,564
Serving up some awesome Ethiopian:

IMG_20191107_081955489.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back