What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Oct 2, 2019 at 3:27 PM Post #11,810 of 14,566
I keep my bathroom a bathroom and my kitchen a kitchen.

Oct 2, 2019 at 7:01 PM Post #11,812 of 14,566
...and ethiopian yirgacheffe to sample
There's this Ethiopian coffee at work that tastes like bad milk. I imagine that is not how it's supposed to taste?

Also, that Bathe&Brew thing is an abomination. One bathes with milk and then uses that in the coffee. At least, isn't that what Cleopatra used to do? :wink:

Oct 2, 2019 at 7:30 PM Post #11,813 of 14,566
There's this Ethiopian coffee at work that tastes like bad milk. I imagine that is not how it's supposed to taste?

Also, that Bathe&Brew thing is an abomination. One bathes with milk and then uses that in the coffee. At least, isn't that what Cleopatra used to do? :wink:

Well, the Ethiopian I like is from the Sidama region (not Yirgacheffe as it is more bitter). Sidama is smooth as silk and generally hard to come by and has the taste of fruit as a signature.

Bathe&Brew is just a cruel joke.

Oct 3, 2019 at 8:55 AM Post #11,816 of 14,566
Since it doesn't actually exist we can bestow and capabilities we wish.

Oct 3, 2019 at 6:30 PM Post #11,819 of 14,566
I'm falling in love with the Square Mile Roasters' Sweet Shop espresso. I'm dosing a little over 18g in and getting a little under 40g out — at 96°C and it's the most flavorful, bright, fruity, juicy espresso of my life. Really extraordinary. I've only done single origin espressi out of the EK so far so I was taken aback at the different requirements in grinding blends. Whereas SO coffee requires ~0.6 on the EK, blends are better around 1.5. I've inched up but the beginning of the shot is still quite constipated, and it takes something like 40 seconds to get to the 40 grams that I find to be the canonical shot with the EK. (With the BSGP anything above 31 or 32g became astringent.) I suppose I could bring the dose down to 17.5 and the grind all the way up to 2 (or try different trade-offs between coarsening grind and lessening dose) and see what gets to the sweet spot. Its such a fascinating process of discovery — the Sweet Shop doesn't come with a "recipe." You're on your own to fiddle with dosage, grind size, shot volume, water temperature—it's thrilling.

Pour over is still lovely, but nothing like espresso.

Oct 3, 2019 at 7:07 PM Post #11,820 of 14,566
I'm falling in love with the Square Mile Roasters' Sweet Shop espresso. I'm dosing a little over 18g in and getting a little under 40g out — at 96°C and it's the most flavorful, bright, fruity, juicy espresso of my life. Really extraordinary. I've only done single origin espressi out of the EK so far so I was taken aback at the different requirements in grinding blends. Whereas SO coffee requires ~0.6 on the EK, blends are better around 1.5. I've inched up but the beginning of the shot is still quite constipated, and it takes something like 40 seconds to get to the 40 grams that I find to be the canonical shot with the EK. (With the BSGP anything above 31 or 32g became astringent.) I suppose I could bring the dose down to 17.5 and the grind all the way up to 2 (or try different trade-offs between coarsening grind and lessening dose) and see what gets to the sweet spot. Its such a fascinating process of discovery — the Sweet Shop doesn't come with a "recipe." You're on your own to fiddle with dosage, grind size, shot volume, water temperature—it's thrilling.

Pour over is still lovely, but nothing like espresso.

You have this shipped from the UK?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back