What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Feb 11, 2018 at 1:59 AM Post #6,917 of 14,566
Just got done listening to the Emperor Concerto with Garrick Ohlssohn at the symphony. I can’t believe the orchestra was playing in 24 bits. I paid for 32 bits and I want them!!

He encored the allegretto from Beethoven's piano sonata 28.

Feb 11, 2018 at 3:20 AM Post #6,918 of 14,566
Fun program! Mixing piano with orchestra can be tricky and I often struggle to appreciate the combo because of the difference in tuning (i.e. just intonation vs true intonation) but it can also be pretty great. Take into consideration the program and it had every chance of being a lovely evening. I hope they did well for you!

Feb 11, 2018 at 7:16 AM Post #6,919 of 14,566
This looks like the last few pages of this thread.........:ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile:
giphy.gif
funny-gif-cat-brawl-dogs-fight.gif

Feb 11, 2018 at 2:42 PM Post #6,922 of 14,566
I always thought of it more like “Yeah, I got your galvanic isolation, right here! (exaggerated pelvic thrust).”
Doctor Frankenfurter pioneered that... "It really drives them insane". (Source: Rocky Horror Picture Show).

Feb 11, 2018 at 3:14 PM Post #6,923 of 14,566
With few exceptions Mike tries to make this thread censorship free. The Mods only seem to get involved if someone breaks the Head-fi's written TOS as well as a couple unwritten ones.

That is why his is one of my favorite threads.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2018 at 3:27 PM Post #6,924 of 14,566
Dreamt that Schiit made a streamer...then I woke up and lol'd. Also dreamt about a new Bifrosty gadget prototype. Right now the only question is whether it will be here in time for me to get one before the summer european tour (a bit shorter than last year's, alas).

Hung up one of the Wagner paintings, and I must say, for someone as bad at home repair/improvement jobs as me, the two screws (with the two anchors!) were about as much as I could think of doing in an afternoon. However I do like the look of it...even if it might not be precisely level.

IMG_2423.JPG.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2018 at 4:22 PM Post #6,925 of 14,566
@Ableza 's futile efforts remind me of my own OCD ticks on trying to tell people that "baud" is not "bits per second", an internet is a network of networks, "The Internet" has come to mean the one we use today, and that their broadband is probably baseband unless they get it from the cable company.
It's the curse of being an Engineer: some things require precision and using the correct terminology. I like to think I'm not as pedantic as most, but it does pick my nits when it's a completely misapplied term.

When I was younger I preferred bawd to baud, by the way. :)

Feb 11, 2018 at 4:27 PM Post #6,926 of 14,566
It looks like atomicbob just dropped a nuke on @amirm's Bifrost measurements.

Amir - Won't post testing methodology or testing conditions. Won't specify the testing gear used. Won't specify audio path used. Obfuscates facts while playing the diplomat. Clearly has enough experience to know how to manipulate results. Is probably a MOT and competitor to Schiit. In my opinion, he has an agenda and a motive to smear Schiit's reputation, one that is probably financial or business related.

Edited and reposted after having it be censored and deleted by the mods. Mods, if any of this offends you or supposedly breaks TOS please let me know and I'll edit it as well.

Feb 11, 2018 at 4:30 PM Post #6,927 of 14,566
It looks like atomicbob just dropped a nuke on @amirm's Bifrost measurements.

Amir - Won't post testing methodology or testing conditions. Won't specify the testing gear used. Won't specify audio path used. Obfuscates facts while playing the diplomat. Clearly has enough experience to know how to manipulate results. Is probably a MOT and competitor to Schiit. In my opinion, he has an agenda and a motive to smear Schiit's reputation, one that is probably financial or business related.

Edited and reposted after having it be censored and deleted by the mods. Mods, if any of this offends you or supposedly breaks TOS please let me know and I'll edit it as well.

+1. The @atomicbob tutorial is definitely a worthwhile read.

JC

Feb 11, 2018 at 4:40 PM Post #6,928 of 14,566
I wonder if using a Wyrd or two upstream from a Gen 5 DAC would have a negative impact on the sound at all. I don't see why it would, but I recall a couple of individuals on that other forum making such claims.

Previously I also used two Wyrds primarily to extend my USB cable range (need ~15 ft. to avoid cutting across the living room awkwardly) when I had my Gumby. Now I have an Yggy with Gen 5, and a single 3 m cable that barely reaches, and hangs across one corner of our living room. Anyway, I guess there's only one way to find out....

I use a 3 meter Straight Wire USB from my computer to a Wyrd and then a Pyst USB from the Wyrd to the Bifrost. Total of 12' of USB cable with only one Wyrd. Bet you could get away with another 3 to 6 ft with only one Wyrd. I do have 2 Wyrds but I have never chained them together.

If you try it let me know how it goes...

:)

Feb 11, 2018 at 5:07 PM Post #6,929 of 14,566
It's the curse of being an Engineer: some things require precision and using the correct terminology. I like to think I'm not as pedantic as most, but it does pick my nits when it's a completely misapplied term.

When I was younger I preferred bawd to baud, by the way. :)

I finally had to stop *facepalm* -ing at the misapplication of "broadband." "Resistance is futile," indeed.

Feb 11, 2018 at 10:53 PM Post #6,930 of 14,566
Where's the atomic bob takedown?

In other news, just got back from the Allentown Symphony's Scheharazade and a work called Palace of Nine Perfections. Interesting program. Joyce Yang was a great pianist but I could not see her hands from my seat, which made it less interesting to me. She really looked like she was having fun.

The Scheharazade was wonderful, Miller Hall is a fine venue.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back