1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)

Discussion in 'Mike Moffat (Baldr)' started by baldr, Oct 13, 2015.
First

Back
451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460
462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471
Next

Last
  1. Alcophone
    Can I have a pizza stroopwafel salad?

Kn1nJa, RCBinTN and Ableza like this.
  2. Abtr
    The only problem with USB (2.0) audio is electrical noise from the source which is basically solved by electrical (galvanic) isolation (Gen 5 USB). There are no clocking or jitter problems with asynchronous USB interfaces because the digital signal is first buffered and then clocked out to the DAC using the DAC's native clock. What other than galvanic/electrical isolation issues do Eitr and Gen 5 USB deal with?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  3. Abtr
    Agreed. And electrical isolation of high frequency USB source noise is still necessary, whatever you call it. Hence, the Eitr and Gen 5 USB..

4. earnmyturns
    Eitr/Gen 5 do not output USB, they output a synchronous digital signal (S/PDIF on Eitr; whatever is used internally in the DAC for Gen 5) clocked accurately. That is a more effective way to block upstream electrical noise than regenerating USB, which requires more complex and thus noisier digital circuitry.

RCBinTN and MWSVette like this.
  5. Abtr
    Huh? Any asynchronous USB interface buffers and reclocks PCM (to I2S). This has nothing to do with the isolation of electrical HF source noise..

6. earnmyturns
    Yes, it does. Electrical HF noise cannot be blocked by any circuit that is ignorant of what a bit representation should look like, because signal and noise overlap spectrally. You need a signal reconstruction circuit, and synchronous bitstreams as in S/PDIF or I2S are easier to generate without ancillary HF noise than async USB. Also, not all DACs rely on I2S internally. In any case, the Eitr is cheap enough to get one just to play with (I did) and experience the difference its good design makes. Experiencing the difference is way better than any theory I could try to provide, and anyway it’s too nice outside to stay inside arguing about angels on pinheads...

dmckean44, stled, liamo and 1 other person like this.
  7. Abtr
    I think we (basically) agree. :)

8. RCBinTN
    This seems like one of those Wiki scenarios we were discussing earlier @Ableza

Ableza likes this.
  9. Ableza
    Exactly.

liamo and sam6550a like this.
  10. liamo
    2C7F7F22-318F-4129-9345-A5CB3F4A5D03.gif We’ll, I might have had some fading knowledge reinforced but I’m glad it’s been sorted before Ableza ended up like the guy above.:)

RCBinTN and Ableza like this.
  11. RCBinTN
    Actually, you have no idea how close that is to reality...

12. Don Hills
    I read that as "arguing about angels with pinheads." :ksc75smile:

13. ToddRaymond
    I wonder if using a Wyrd or two upstream from a Gen 5 DAC would have a negative impact on the sound at all. I don't see why it would, but I recall a couple of individuals on that other forum making such claims.

Previously I also used two Wyrds primarily to extend my USB cable range (need ~15 ft. to avoid cutting across the living room awkwardly) when I had my Gumby. Now I have an Yggy with Gen 5, and a single 3 m cable that barely reaches, and hangs across one corner of our living room. Anyway, I guess there's only one way to find out....

14. earnmyturns
    There's this, cheap enough to try out without regrets, and probably other variants at different price points.

15. motberg
    Intona uses it also and seems to me their primary customer base is not directed to audiophiles....

First

Back
451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460
462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471
Next

Last