What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Feb 11, 2018 at 11:03 PM Post #6,931 of 14,563
Dreamt that Schiit made a streamer...then I woke up and lol'd. Also dreamt about a new Bifrosty gadget prototype. Right now the only question is whether it will be here in time for me to get one before the summer european tour (a bit shorter than last year's, alas).

Hung up one of the Wagner paintings, and I must say, for someone as bad at home repair/improvement jobs as me, the two screws (with the two anchors!) were about as much as I could think of doing in an afternoon. However I do like the look of it...even if it might not be precisely level.

So doing manual work is a horse of a different color.......:ksc75smile:

Feb 11, 2018 at 11:31 PM Post #6,932 of 14,563
Dreamt that Schiit made a streamer...then I woke up and lol'd.
They don't need to. Depending on your appetite for DYI and wallet, there are many good options on the market. My current recommendation in bang-for-buck-and-ease-of-setup are the Allo.com gadgets: USBridge for USB output, DigiOne Player for S/PDIF. For somewhat more DYI, a Pi 2 with a Pi 2 Designs 502DAC (ignore the DAC, just use the S/PDIF output) is another good choice. In every case, a surprisingly good streamer for < $200. For something more self-contained controllable locally, I assembled a Pi 2, Pi Touch screen, 502DAC, running RuneAudio in a few hours, with an external USB WD Element drive to store the music, for my work office system. Total cost ~ $400 including music storage. Not bad...

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2018 at 10:38 AM Post #6,933 of 14,563
My advice: listen to Yggdrasil yourself. It's the best sounding DAC I've ever heard, and I've heard hundreds. Questionable measurements do not tell the story.

Feb 12, 2018 at 12:23 PM Post #6,934 of 14,563
I still don't fully understand what does low-level linearity have to do with resolution? Is there a direct correlation? Yggy's dynamic range is measured at ~122dB, which indicates somewhere between 20-21 bits of effective resolution (where did you get the "12 bit" number from?). Correct me if I'm wrong, but even if it's not perfectly linear at the very low signal end, it's so far below the noise floor it's not even relevant...

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2018 at 1:42 PM Post #6,936 of 14,563
Has atomicbob measured any of Schiit's D/S DACs? As a Bifrost 4490 owner I'd be interested in seeing a linearity measurement of it (or the previous Uber version).

I'm pretty sure it's perfect... All decently engineered D/S DACs tend to measure extremely well.

Feb 12, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #6,937 of 14,563
The fetishization of measurements reminds me of the adolescent desire to be able to "taste the difference" between a cheaper and a more expensive wine or liquor. In fact, over the weekend, I bought the Hendricks and the Kirkland Signature London Dry Gin (Made in the USA!) for the express purpose of trying them both in my favorite cocktail, the pink pamplemousse (two parts gin, two parts grapefruit juice, one part mandarine napoleon or grand marnier if you can't get MN, served up with a lemon twist. I may try them both on ice as well, but in a cocktail I imagine the difference will be much narrower.

The point is: if I can't taste the difference, I will be freed from the nagging desire to get the more expensive one every time I need more gin. It will be a good thing, not a problem.

I haven't yet done an a/b of the multibit DACs, but I hope to. Multiple coax outs of the future gadgeitr, I should say, would help that kind of comparison.

Feb 12, 2018 at 1:55 PM Post #6,938 of 14,563
The point is: if I can't taste the difference, I will be freed from the nagging desire to get the more expensive one every time I need more gin. It will be a good thing, not a problem.

Well, just playing a devil's advocate here (and not to get too Sound Science-y) - if you can't hear the difference, what's the point of buying, say, an Yggy? Or a (generally) more expensive multibit DAC at all?

Feb 12, 2018 at 3:18 PM Post #6,939 of 14,563
I can hear the difference between Bimby and my earlier Bifrost. I can definitely hear the difference between Bimby and Sennheiser's horrific dac for HD800/S. I don't know whether I can hear the difference between Bimby and Yggy, but I'd like to find out. Thank Schiit for 15 day return policies.

Feb 12, 2018 at 3:51 PM Post #6,940 of 14,563
The fetishization of measurements reminds me of the adolescent desire to be able to "taste the difference" between a cheaper and a more expensive wine or liquor. In fact, over the weekend, I bought the Hendricks and the Kirkland Signature London Dry Gin (Made in the USA!) for the express purpose of trying them both in my favorite cocktail, the pink pamplemousse (two parts gin, two parts grapefruit juice, one part mandarine napoleon or grand marnier if you can't get MN, served up with a lemon twist. I may try them both on ice as well, but in a cocktail I imagine the difference will be much narrower.

I haven't yet done an a/b of the multibit DACs, but I hope to. Multiple coax outs of the future gadgeitr, I should say, would help that kind of comparison.

OMG, an apparently off-topic post that is actually on-topic! No way I am going to drink a pink pamplemousse. I doubt one person in a million (billion?) could tell what kind of gin you used in that concoction. Who thinks these things up?

Feb 12, 2018 at 7:58 PM Post #6,941 of 14,563
image000000_01.jpg
2854ab977f46812456a0ae0e31dd1ed4.jpg

OMG, I feel like wink. At least I started with classical.......this is nuts. Life is toooo short. No wonder it took me years to post!

Mike,
Sincerely hope everything with your retina will be fine, and you can get back up to speed.

In the meantime waiting for word that my old Yggy has it's new boards and is on it's way back to Florida. :)

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2018 at 11:16 PM Post #6,942 of 14,563
I still don't fully understand what does low-level linearity have to do with resolution? Is there a direct correlation? Yggy's dynamic range is measured at ~122dB, which indicates somewhere between 20-21 bits of effective resolution (where did you get the "12 bit" number from?). Correct me if I'm wrong, but even if it's not perfectly linear at the very low signal end, it's so far below the noise floor it's not even relevant...
Who said the Yggy only had 12 bits? I thought they were discussing the Bimby. If someone said the Yggy had 12 bits of resolution, it would help if you would quote them in your reply, so we know what/who you are asking.

Feb 12, 2018 at 11:30 PM Post #6,943 of 14,563
My advice: listen to Yggdrasil yourself. It's the best sounding DAC I've ever heard, and I've heard hundreds. Questionable measurements do not tell the story.

You'll probably get dissed at the other audio science forum lol.

Feb 13, 2018 at 12:01 AM Post #6,944 of 14,563
Who said the Yggy only had 12 bits? I thought they were discussing the Bimby. If someone said the Yggy had 12 bits of resolution, it would help if you would quote them in your reply, so we know what/who you are asking.

Perhaps the post was either edited or removed. Yes, I should've quoted it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back